The Student Room Group

Car leaking oil after change..

So I got my car serviced a little over a month ago. Since then it's been Leaking oil (only ever so slightly hence I haven't pursued it earlier). Anyway if I take it in to be looked at is the garage likely to be lenient on any costs as any issue should have been mentioned during the service? The changed the oil so should have noticed if there was any issue surely..

Anyone else had a similar situation before?
It could be a drain plug or filter.
they may have not tightened the plug enough ( assuming that they removed it to drain the oil/filter) so take it back.

if there is a washer, it may have failed.
Reply 2
Original post by frogerz
So I got my car serviced a little over a month ago. Since then it's been Leaking oil (only ever so slightly hence I haven't pursued it earlier). Anyway if I take it in to be looked at is the garage likely to be lenient on any costs as any issue should have been mentioned during the service? The changed the oil so should have noticed if there was any issue surely..

Anyone else had a similar situation before?

Original post by domonict
It could be a drain plug or filter.
they may have not tightened the plug enough ( assuming that they removed it to drain the oil/filter) so take it back.

if there is a washer, it may have failed.

4 Words..... Driveshaft Oil Seal/s

Or

Crankshaft Oil Seals
Reply 3
Probably lazy mechanics not changing the sump plug crush washer.
Reply 4
Original post by Homeboy
4 Words..... Driveshaft Oil Seal/s

Or

Crankshaft Oil Seals

Why do people always come on threads like this and spout utter rubbish like it's the god's honest truth?

It's far more likely to be the oil filter or drain plug seeing as the leak started after a service and those are the things that are touched when doing the service.

Op, get under the car and see if you can see where it's coming from. If it's the oil filter (looks like this: )

grab it with your hand and tighten it as much as you can. They're only meant to be hand tight, but a good hand tight. If that doesn't stop it then they might have 'tarded out and not removed the original seal when installing the new filter. This will cause a leak no matter how tight you get the filter.

If it looks like it's coming from the drain plug (looks like this: )

Then make sure you have enough oil (check the dip stick and top up if needed) and take it back to the garage. Say that you think the drain plug might be leaking and it might need a new one. Drain plugs have a seal which is single use (although I've reused mine twice now with no issues :colondollar: ) and need to be replaced with each oil change.

Hopefully either of those will cure it, as oil leaks can be a PITA to track down if they're not one of the usual suspects.
Reply 5
Nice one thanks for your help, I will try that and then see how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending