The Student Room Group

How do people choose between prose or poetry in any unseen section on an english exam

Basically how do you choose?

Are there particular things to look out for or is it based on preference?
Reply 1
Original post by Gazzaaa

I usually choose poetry as I find it easier to write about :yep:
Saying that, I do sometimes like the look of the prose (perhaps because I know the book and/or author and like the genre), and therefore choose that.

I guess ultimately, it is just a matter of which I would find easiest to write about, and I am usually able to work that out based on a quick speed-read of both :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
I usually choose poetry as I find it easier to write about :yep:
Saying that, I do sometimes like the look of the prose (perhaps because I know the book and/or author and like the genre), and therefore choose that.

I guess ultimately, it is just a matter of which I would find easiest to write about, and I am usually able to work that out based on a quick speed-read of both :h:

Aha I see. Its just that the poetry can be fairly elusive sometimes since its generally shorter than the prose. But that means you have to have a lot more to say about a little to make up for its length..
Reply 3
Original post by Gazzaaa
Aha I see. Its just that the poetry can be fairly elusive sometimes since its generally shorter than the prose. But that means you have to have a lot more to say about a little to make up for its length..

I would argue that poetry is somewhat easier to write about, too, as every single aspect is chosen for a reason, whereas in prose you have to search for things (and not every part of the text serves a clear purpose) - but that is just my opinion :yep:

Also, for some reason I seem to get annoyed that the prose is simply an extract and I can't carry on reading :lol:
Original post by Gazzaaa

I find prose easier to write about so I just generally do that.

When I was at school, my teachers sucked at teaching use poetry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending