The Student Room Group

What do you think will be your hardest exam?

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry unit 2
S1 Maths - The answers can vary so much but I'm going to keep trying as I really want a A this year!
GCSE maths (aqa)
Chemistry (ocr a) unit 2. If anyone is doing this exam, I'd really like to discuss it!!
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
My Politics Unit 4 exam...we're doing ideologies in action, and there's no online resources for this exam :confused:

Also, Psychology Unit 4, I'm crap at research methods :s-smilie:

Have a look in a sociology forum...or an A2 sociology book.
Reply 85
Original post by timelizard
oh the gapfil word one is always the worst... possibly the hardest Q in the paper
Yeah same, for my oral I made a notebook with points and stuff. When you do essays how do you know... when youve written a good one if that makes sense? i don't do any essay subjects (and this sounds so stupid) so I dont fully get the point of that. is it just to see if you can come up with stuff under timed conditions?

Some essay topics are just a lot easier than others so I know I'll write better essays on these things. Otherwise, I try to make a good introduction followed by some points for and some points against/ arguments for one thing they've given you and arguments for the other thing (2-3 for and then 2-3 against) then a decent conclusion with a judgement. The main advice we've been given is to try and use as much topic specific vocab as possible and grammar is really important. Fit as many tenses in as you can (not to a ridiculous level though) as well as subjunctives, imperfect subjunctive + conditional clauses etc. Examiners really love idiomatic expressions too so if you can, learn a couple of these, as well as just generally trying to make your essay flow and sound as natural as possible. My teachers are obsessed with making sure our language is more advanced that GCSE, i.e. don't keep falling back to 'creo que...'. Learn some good introductory/linking phrases and cram these in.
Sorry that's such an essay in itself haha :smile: I took a picture of this sheet we were given which is quite useful...
gjhbn.jpg
Original post by gwaggy
I'm terrified for AQA Physics Unit 1 and 2 as my teacher didn't teach my class anything. We all did a mock last week and we all got E/Us. It's not looking good!!

I have pretty bad teachers for Physics too! A few of us did well in the unit 1 mock but only two of us in my class passed unit 2 and we got Bs :/ (I literally just scraped a B)

You should watch some videos by DrPhysicsA, he's really helpful
And also do lots of past papers - they tend to repeat similar questions for unit 1!

Good luck with your exams, hope everything goes well! :smile:
Reply 87
I'm dreading my GCSE History exams, OCR Medicine Through Time and Germany 1918-1945 Paper 1 and Public Health Paper 2. I really want to get an A but I know I'll struggle because i'm not good at writing quickly with such a tight time limit.
P2 and P3 physics scares me so much haha 🙈🙈🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edexcel AS Chemistry Unit 2 despite my love for Chemistry. :redface:
STEP III.
Trying to carry on getting enough practise through all of my other exams.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
STEP

Which one(s)?
Original post by morgan8002
STEP III.
Trying to carry on getting enough practise through all of my other exams.

Definitely! STEP 2/3 are just on another level - I'm not even worried about A-Levels now, STEP is the main thing!

I take it you got an offer from Cambridge too? Which college?
Maths -C2 :frown:
Which one(s)?

1 - I applied to Oxford not Cambridge and my GCSE's werent good enough (even though my mat score was 10 above average successful candidate), should have applied Cambridge. So need it for Warwick, taking AEA aswell.
Original post by Chazatthekeys
Definitely! STEP 2/3 are just on another level - I'm not even worried about A-Levels now, STEP is the main thing!

I take it you got an offer from Cambridge too? Which college?

Yeah. I already have A-level maths so no worries there but STEP makes further maths and physics easy(except for the descriptive stuff in physics). Although the lack of linear algebra in STEP makes FP4 seem disproportionally difficult compared with the other modules.
It doesn't help with my other A-levels but they don't matter so much and most of the work is memorisation.

Unfortunately no.
Yeah. I already have A-level maths so no worries there but STEP makes further maths and physics easy(except for the descriptive stuff in physics). Although the lack of linear algebra in STEP makes FP4 seem disproportionally difficult compared with the other modules.
It doesn't help with my other A-levels but they don't matter so much and most of the work is memorisation.

Unfortunately no.

Yeah, I did the whole A-Level maths last year too, well 7 units so an extra one! FP4? I'm on EdExcel we don't have that unit lol.

It does! It's good though, because the thing I don't like about A-Levels is 'learn the method, apply' and it's literally the same every time - but STEP encourages you more to think (not that I haven't been doing that), that's why I like them (but not as in 'easy' like aha)

Yeah, further maths and maths form last year and STEP all link for me! It's just chemistry to be learning the facts and stuff, but I think I've got it now!

Ah right, how comes you're doing STEP? Is it a UNI offer? Or just out of curiosity? :smile:
Original post by Chazatthekeys
Yeah, I did the whole A-Level maths last year too, well 7 units so an extra one! FP4? I'm on EdExcel we don't have that unit lol.

It does! It's good though, because the thing I don't like about A-Levels is 'learn the method, apply' and it's literally the same every time - but STEP encourages you more to think (not that I haven't been doing that), that's why I like them (but not as in 'easy' like aha)

Yeah, further maths and maths form last year and STEP all link for me! It's just chemistry to be learning the facts and stuff, but I think I've got it now!

Ah right, how comes you're doing STEP? Is it a UNI offer? Or just out of curiosity? :smile:

I take biology and chemistry and in biology there's huge amounts to remember(much more than chemistry). We haven't even finished the spec in biology yet.

I was going to be taking it for Cambridge if I got an offer so I thought I may as well go through with it. It's practise doing hard maths which will be a good thing when I start my degree. My offers don't include STEP but getting three good grades(alongside good A-level grades) might help me get a place if I miss my English language offer.
Probably either Psychology PSYA3 or Chemistry F325. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take biology and chemistry and in biology there's huge amounts to remember(much more than chemistry). We haven't even finished the spec in biology yet.

I was going to be taking it for Cambridge if I got an offer so I thought I may as well go through with it. It's practise doing hard maths which will be a good thing when I start my degree. My offers don't include STEP but getting three good grades(alongside good A-level grades) might help me get a place if I miss my English language offer.

I've had a look at biology textbooks and that, and it does look more knowledge based - at least with some chemistry it's maths, so you don't have to rely completely on new knowledge. I really didn't like chemistry last year, I went off - but doing it this year has opened my eyes a lot; it is pretty interesting!

Jesus - you're cutting it a bit fine aren't you? lol we finished maths first week of this term and chemistry was finished last term some time!

I see! Well good luck to you, and to all of us! There's just no pattern tot he questions - some papers I can do a good 5 questions which is what I need for a 1, but some I'm stuck on 3 and some poor attempts at others! I think it's going to be harder under exam conditions in 3 hrs!

Quick Reply

Latest