The Student Room Group

Redoing doing C1 and FP1 next year in AS?

Hi there. I done my C1 and FP1 paper(yesterday and today) and i doubt i done that well. Tried to revise everything in one day and well i guess it didn't work and i'm probably going to get C's(lower in FP1).

I was always planning on taking a gap year to work as i won't be going university straight away but rather to get some income beforehand(meaning predicted grades don't really matter much for me). So if i retake both these modules in my next year in A2, would that affect my university chances in any shape or form?

I'm really upset and wanted to get an A* and A consecutively in Maths and Further Maths. Would I still be able to attain an A* in Maths? I'm a real idiot for thinking that i could go over the content of C1 in a few hours before my exam thinking it is enough just because I already went through the book in my class at around December (without doing much past papers). Likewise with FP1.

I'm not planning on going to the real top universities anyway e.g. Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford.

So would it be fine to retake both these next year and suppose I get a B overall in AS Maths and a C in Further Maths(but really high in my other two units 85+), by redoing FP1/C1 next year and attaining 90 % above, would I still be able to achieve an A* and would universities look down upon me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't understand how you made the same mistake twice for the two exams. I recommend that you put as much effort as you can into blitzing the rest of your AS exams. You still have a shot at a reasonably good grade, even if it isn't the high A's you were hoping for.

It is way too early to make any major decisions about retakes, etc. Just focus on your upcoming exams and go with the flow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Let be realistic here, ff he can't revise C1 in one day, he can't revise FP1 in a few days in between. These modules are designed to be done over months not hours. C1 is like 1+1 = 2 and FP1 where you actually start to learn some real Maths.

Do what is advised above and wait and see what happen in August. Don't overthink now. Work every minute of every day and see.
Honestly, maths is the only subject where I would say you cannot get good at it within a couple of days...it requires PRACTICE, you can't practice **** in 2 days.
Reply 4
It's not as if I'm bad at Maths, rather, I'm pretty good at it, but after going through the book and doing well on tests on it before, I left it for months on end and thus forgetting a lot of things which I thought I still knew. I had to revise other subjects mostly and It was a bad decision to leave things too late.

I'm pretty certain that I attained a C grade in C1 and perhaps a bit lower in FP1. The questions were not hard at all, rather it was just my deficiency in remembering how to answer the questions which I thought I was good at.

I could easily get 95 UMS for C1 and atleast a solid A for FP1 if I worked hard for it and done it next year.

I would most likely go over things in the summer alongside doing past papers and then do some solid revision throughout the year each week recapping everything so I don't forget it. I'm really disappointing in myself and do not feel like a C is even remotely close to the grade I could achieve if I work hard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by musa12
Hi there. I done my C1 and FP1 paper(yesterday and today) and i doubt i done that well. Tried to revise everything in one day and well i guess it didn't work and i'm probably going to get C's(lower in FP1).

I was always planning on taking a gap year to work as i won't be going university straight away but rather to get some income beforehand(meaning predicted grades don't really matter much for me). So if i retake both these modules in my next year in A2, would that affect my university chances in any shape or form?

I'm really upset and wanted to get an A* and A consecutively in Maths and Further Maths. Would I still be able to attain an A* in Maths? I'm a real idiot for thinking that i could go over the content of C1 in a few hours before my exam thinking it is enough just because I already went through the book in my class at around December (without doing much past papers). Likewise with FP1.

I'm not planning on going to the real top universities anyway e.g. Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford.

So would it be fine to retake both these next year and suppose I get a B overall in AS Maths and a C in Further Maths(but really high in my other two units 85+), by redoing FP1/C1 next year and attaining 90 % above, would I still be able to achieve an A* and would universities look down upon me?

You deserve to mess it up, sorry to break it to you like that :frown:

Btw, real top unis include Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol and Bath.

Original post by musa12
It's not as if I'm bad at Maths, rather, I'm pretty good at it, but after going through the book and doing well on tests on it before, I left it for months on end and thus forgetting a lot of things which I thought I still knew. I had to revise other subjects mostly and It was a bad decision to leave things too late.

I'm pretty certain that I attained a C grade in C1 and perhaps a bit lower in FP1. The questions were not hard at all, rather it was just my deficiency in remembering how to answer the questions which I thought I was good at.

I could easily get 95 UMS for C1 and atleast a solid A for FP1 if I worked hard for it and done it next year.

I would most likely go over things in the summer alongside doing past papers and then do some solid revision throughout the year each week recapping everything so I don't forget it. I'm really disappointing in myself and do not feel like a C is even remotely close to the grade I could achieve if I work hard.

You can still get an A if you wreck the other modules, I got 86 in C1, 100 in M1 and 100 in C2 last year, I can get 14% in S1 and still get an A* in further maths. You need to be willing to put in the work, no matter how good you think you are, don't take your natural flair for a subject and waste it, if you do not practice for these papers you will not do well, they are not meant to be trivial (apart from C1 which is trivial hence the ridiculous grade boundaries). What exam board are you and what maths exams do you have left.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jai Sandhu
You deserve to mess it up, sorry to break it to you like that :frown:

Btw, real top unis include Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Durham, Bristol and Bath.

You can still get an A if you wreck the other modules, I got 86 in C1, 100 in M1 and 100 in C2 last year, I can get 14% in S1 and still get an A* in further maths. You need to be willing to put in the work, no matter how good you think you are, don't take your natural flair for a subject and waste it, if you do not practice for these papers you will not do well, they are not meant to be trivial (apart from C1 which is trivial hence the ridiculous grade boundaries). What exam board are you and what maths exams do you have left.

Edexcel and I've got the rest of my modules left.

I'll probably get a solid A in C2 and hopefully 95+ in S1. I may get an A still in normal Maths.

But I really and honestly doubt I could get an A in Further Maths. A C grade itself is pushing it and I most likely got reasonably lower. However, as of the other two modules, I would most likely perform really well(90 UMS+).

So it's inevitable that I should retake FP1 as I really doubt I would be able to get an overall of an A this year due to my performance in the exam.
Original post by musa12
Edexcel and I've got the rest of my modules left.

I'll probably get a solid A in C2 and hopefully 95+ in S1. I may get an A still in normal Maths.

But I really and honestly doubt I could get an A in Further Maths. A C grade itself is pushing it and I most likely got reasonably lower. However, as of the other two modules, I would most likely perform really well(90 UMS+).

So it's inevitable that I should retake FP1 as I really doubt I would be able to get an overall of an A this year due to my performance in the exam.

You are very lucky that you are one of the last years with a chance to retake exams. What FM modules?
Reply 8
You are very lucky that you are one of the last years with a chance to retake exams. What FM modules?

M1 and D1.
Original post by musa12
M1 and D1.

Then do very very well in those, do not spend your time on this forum and do papers, make up for your wrong doings. Wait till August before you decide about retakes.
Reply 10
Then do very very well in those, do not spend your time on this forum and do papers, make up for your wrong doings. Wait till August before you decide about retakes.

Alright.

However, I think that even if I do good, I'll most likely get a B or so.

But, I'll take your advice. Thanks!
Original post by musa12

This basically describes my situation exactly
I thought I could I revise all my exams the day before.
I actually felt confident going into the exam, and then came out knowing I would get below a B. I'm so angry at myself because I know that if I practised more, I could easily get A.
Unlike you, I did actually want to apply to the top unis. But I guess my chances of that are ruined. Probably going to go Queen Mary's now
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
I actually felt confident going into the exam, and then came out knowing I would get below a B. I'm so angry at myself because I know that if I practised more, I could easily get A.
Unlike you, I did actually want to apply to the top unis. But I guess my chances of that are ruined. Probably going to go Queen Mary's now

Your Cambridge chances and maybe UCL, the others are still open, Oxford primarily judge it on their entrance exam.
Your Cambridge chances and maybe UCL, the others are still open, Oxford primarily judge it on their entrance exam.

I actually wanted to apply to LSE and UCL (and Warwick)
and I need 4As at AS-level, to even be considered for the course
I actually wanted to apply to LSE and UCL (and Warwick)
and I need 4As at AS-level, to even be considered for the course

What course?
What course?

Maths with statistics/
Reply 16

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. The worst thing about is that I was attaining strong A's near January when we done mocks in the class, I revised reasonably then, but then left it since then until a day before the exam thinking I'll just brush up on the topics and it'll be enough.

Really upsetting. If I revised simply a week before I would of gotten an A most likely.
Maths with statistics/

Ah kk, you can easily still apply to warwick. For maths if you are predicted AAB or more you receive an offer.
Reply 18
Original post by musa12

Revise Maths in 1 day?
Ah kk, you can easily still apply to warwick. For maths if you are predicted AAB or more you receive an offer.

Just checked their course....

Entry RequirementsA Level A*AA, to include A* in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending