The Student Room Group

what grade would you give this english lit analysis.

Shakespeare displays disturbed minds through showing Lady Macbeth is emotionally unstable. A quote to support this is: Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark to cry, hold! Hold!She is so desperate to commit her desired murder on Duncan that she does not want ‘heaven’, which has connotations of God and grace to see what she is planning, so that there becomes no barrier between Lady Macbeth and Duncan. She wants to be covered in darkness because evil actions and desires always happening complete night, as is a common belief of the audience of Shakespeare. Her mind's shrouded by darkness and since evil occurs in complete darkness, her mind is not guided by light or God, hence being emotionally unstable due to this lack of guidance, which explains the lack of structure in her writing. The quote switches between prose and verse, hence the: ‘hold! Hold!’ Her mind is so emotionally unstable, that it acts with impulse, hence the sudden appearance of the ‘hold!’The word is also repeated, which exemplifies that her mind is not aware that she has just said the first ‘hold!’ And repeats it with the same word, as if she has the feeling of deja vu, hence proving her emotionally unstable mind. The repetitions of the word could also mean that she is desperate for her voice to be heard. The first ‘hold’, has not got an exclamation mark. But the second one does, even though she has clearly said the first ‘hold’, she repeats it again with greater volume, hence the exclamation mark to ensure that ‘heaven’ will hear her and not stop her from doing what she wants, however the fact that ‘heaven’has been personified into a human that screams, ‘hold!’ Shows that she thinks heaven(or god) will tell her stop her actions, the reader knows that God will never speak to her because God never speaks to humans in Earth, hence her being emotionally unstable because she does not live in the real world and is blinded by fiction. -��U�rf
(edited 8 years ago)
B / A (depending on the quality of competing answers by other students) - it's written in a relatively clunky manner, and your lack of embedded quotes really detracts from the reading experience. You do, however, make some good points.

* The point you make about the exclamation point is a little arbitrary since its use is relatively modern, and variations amongst texts means that the text you quote may not appear as you mention in every edition.

You make some excellent points and develop your answer well, but I think that your written communication could be better. Moreover, some of your ideas lack weight: the last line or two is unnecessary. However, I like the section in which you explore the idea of repetition.
Reply 2
Original post by colourtheory
B / A (depending on the quality of competing answers by other students) - it's written in a relatively clunky manner, and your lack of embedded quotes really detracts from the reading experience. You do, however, make some good points.

* The point you make about the exclamation point is a little arbitrary since its use is relatively modern, and variations amongst texts means that the text you quote may not appear as you mention in every edition.

You make some excellent points and develop your answer well, but I think that your written communication could be better. Moreover, some of your ideas lack weight: the last line or two is unnecessary. However, I like the section in which you explore the idea of repetition.

ok can you re write it please :biggrin: my teacher said embedded quotes dont matter
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shwansalah
ok can you re write it please :biggrin:

I think the whole idea is that you have to learn from your mistakes...
Reply 4
Original post by colourtheory
I think the whole idea is that you have to learn from your mistakes...

what does clunky mean
Original post by shwansalah
what does clunky mean

clumsy, ill-conveyed, disjointed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending