The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elocin505
Does anyone know how to explain Environmental Quality Survey (EQS)?

This is what AQA has to say:
Explain..,Why..,Suggestreasons for...Set out the causes of a phenomenon and/or the factors which influence itsform/nature. This usually requires an understanding of processes. Explanation is ahigher-level skill than description and this is often reflected in its greater markweighting.

... Therefore I would say that an Environmental Quality Survey is a measure of the condition of the environment in an area and can be carried out using a [set of condition (has an exact term I can't remember)?] in order to classify different areas. This can then be used to compare the environment in different areas and therefore the social welfare (assess to a clean environment) of different areas...
I think this is right but I would like someone to confirm/improve it :smile:
sorry I can't be more help
Original post by TheGreatImposter
I'm still so confused :colondollar: Would you draw on the isolines but that would just show you the velocity but I thought that cross section would be like this.
I apologise for being confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it depends on what you are trying to show. Both cross sections are perfectly valid, one showing velocity and another showing depth. Yes i would have drawn on isobars but im lazy :smile:

What you think cross sections look like is absolutely correct :smile:
Reply 102
Does anyone know where I can find the January 2010 skills paper?
Original post by Columbo97
Well it depends on what you are trying to show. Both cross sections are perfectly valid, one showing velocity and another showing depth. Yes i would have drawn on isobars but im lazy :smile:

What you think cross sections look like is absolutely correct :smile:

Thank you, makes perfect sense now :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Are we supposed to have been taught how to construct a pie chart??? I saw someone mention a protractor and compasses so we could draw one? I've never been told this...
Hi all! Who's nervous for tomorrow? I feel okay with the skills, but I know nothing about fieldwork questions :frown:
Original post by Minho

only if your school has it-after three years they are taken down from the website :smile:
Original post by EmCrow
Are we supposed to have been taught how to construct a pie chart??? I saw someone mention a protractor and compasses so we could draw one? I've never been told this...

My teacher said it's very unlikely we will be made to do pie charts (gosh i hope we don't get a question on them!). But yes you should have a protractor and compass JUST INCASE
Original post by EmCrow

Yes i think we are, it is in my pack and i have covered it in lesson. It isn't too hard if you don't know how :smile:
Original post by EmCrow

Just remember the formula:

what you're trying to find/ total x 360 to find out the percentage.

e.g. let's say there are 30 immigrants coming to the UK from poland and the total number of immigrant coming across from the world into the UK is 150. You do 30/ 150 x 360 = 72 degrees which you would put onto a pie diagram and proceed to do this with the rest.
Original post by Issy :)
This is what AQA has to say:
Explain..,Why..,Suggestreasons for...Set out the causes of a phenomenon and/or the factors which influence itsform/nature. This usually requires an understanding of processes. Explanation is ahigher-level skill than description and this is often reflected in its greater markweighting.

... Therefore I would say that an Environmental Quality Survey is a measure of the condition of the environment in an area and can be carried out using a [set of condition (has an exact term I can't remember)?] in order to classify different areas. This can then be used to compare the environment in different areas and therefore the social welfare (assess to a clean environment) of different areas...
I think this is right but I would like someone to confirm/improve it :smile:
sorry I can't be more help

Do we need to know this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minho

Here (not sure if attachments work if not PM me your email)
Reply 112
Original post by jaggles123
My teacher said it's very unlikely we will be made to do pie charts (gosh i hope we don't get a question on them!). But yes you should have a protractor and compass JUST INCASE

Original post by Columbo97
Yes i think we are, it is in my pack and i have covered it in lesson. It isn't too hard if you don't know how :smile:

Original post by TheGreatImposter
Just remember the formula:

what you're trying to find/ total x 360 to find out the percentage.

e.g. let's say there are 30 immigrants coming to the UK from poland and the total number of immigrant coming across from the world into the UK is 150. You do 30/ 150 x 360 = 72 degrees which you would put onto a pie diagram and proceed to do this with the rest.

I don't even have a protractor or compass :frown: ugh why haven't I been taught this!?! :frown:
Original post by Rabadon
Hey, what's the need to square root the values? Surely if you just make a constant such as 0.1 and multiply it all the values theyll be proportional still and you can use that as your radii?

I just got that from the booklet my teacher gave me. I don't think it'll come up anyways.
if a question asked us (for an example of stats data we use) in my case spearmans rank what would you say to justify ??
Original post by EmCrow
I don't even have a protractor or compass :frown: ugh why haven't I been taught this!?! :frown:

If you can, borrow some from your maths department... Give them your phone or something just to prove you will return the equipment.
Original post by Minnieh21
Do we need to know this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bloody hope not
Original post by EmCrow

lol neither do I. Gonna hit tesco before school. It's really really simple though, I think there's a paper that had it lemme find it for you.
Have a go, you have to be prepared for whatever they throw at you.
Original post by sapphirehaze
I bloody hope not

We haven't even been taught anything about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmCrow

I don't either! My teacher only told us about pie charts TODAY. Hopefully my teacher will find me one:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending