The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 2 Education and Research Methods Forum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anzyy
Firstly that sounds like a good way to conclude RM essays. How do you tend to write the conclusion?

Secondly my teachers said they can ask 1 of 3 types of questions:
They can ask about a specific method (like the normal ones on interviews etc),
They can ask questions on practical, ethical or theoretical issues (which would be beautiful but they've asked all 3 already)
And they could ask for a positivist vs interpretivist debate. It is possible but the way to answer it would be difficult.

They asked about policies in both family and education papers in 2010 which was also the time of the last election. Coincidence or what hmm.

That makes me think it's likely for it to come up for both family and education this year, especially since it's been 5 years.

I'd love those questions that you predicted :adore:

Haha thanks! and when talking about positivists or interpretivists in your conclusion you basically just say which one favours the research method more and why and then why the other might disagree, if i can find my essay i can send it to you as an example.

And you have a point it is most definitely going to be policies that will come up and my prayers would be answred if we get a question in material/cultural deprivation!
Reply 41
Policy and Class/Marxism would be my prediction, but take that with a pinch of salt.
Reply 42
I know this is going to sound bad, but how do you structure the methods essay? I know what you have to incl but I have no idea how to put it on paper,we haven't even finished methods yet and I am starting to think that there's no way I can pass Sociology at this moment in time.
Reply 43
Original post by anzyy
Education past questions:

June 2014 - Ethnicity (12) & Functionalism (20)

June 2013 - Class (12) & Gender (20)

Jan 2013 - Gender (12) & Marxism (20)

June 2012 - Policies (12) & Ethnicity (20)

Jan 2012 - Gender (12) & Class (20)

June 2011 - Functions of education system (12) & Internal factors leading to underachievement (20)

Jan 2011 - Gender (12) & Functionalism (20)

June 2010 - Class (12) & Policy (20)

Jan 2010 - Labelling (12) & Gender (20)

Hi

Have you got any predictions for the other two 20 markers that appear in the SCLY(2) paper - SECTION A (namely e & r methods and simply research methods) or are they inevitable?
Thank
Reply 44
Original post by anzyy
Education past questions:

June 2014 - Ethnicity (12) & Functionalism (20)

June 2013 - Class (12) & Gender (20)

Jan 2013 - Gender (12) & Marxism (20)

June 2012 - Policies (12) & Ethnicity (20)

Jan 2012 - Gender (12) & Class (20)

June 2011 - Functions of education system (12) & Internal factors leading to underachievement (20)

Jan 2011 - Gender (12) & Functionalism (20)

June 2010 - Class (12) & Policy (20)

Jan 2010 - Labelling (12) & Gender (20)

Hi

Have you got any predictions for the other two 20 markers that appear in the SCLY(2) paper - SECTION A (namely e & r methods and simply research methods) or are they inevitable?
Thanks
Reply 45
Original post by H-Ali1
Hi

Thanks

Honestly I really don't know but I reckon for RM they could ask for a positivist vs interpretivist debate and others have predicted things like documents etc. There's another thread you can check out and try scroll through to see predictions: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3193563&goto=newpost
I predict that education policy's will come up 100% somewhere in the exam. Likely a big mark question. Also predict ethnicity or gender and education.
For research methods the last 20 marker what two methods do you think we will have the choice of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S_a16
I think gender will be probably come as it came up every other year, policy and ethnicity more likely to come up as well. 1 week from tommr ������������

Gender is an okay topic really, I've covered some of it today and it seems quite simple. Ethnicity is okay too if we get a 12 marker on that
Guys can somebody in brief explain interpretivists and positivists to me?! I always get them confused.. but do interpretivists like to look closely at subjective personal information and would they favour personal documents for example because of this? Whereas positivists are objective and would probably prefer lab research to field because they prefer statistical scientific data?
this is gonna sound extremely dumb but how do u structure an essay on the positivists and interpretivists ?
Original post by Guffguff
My teacher predicted the 20 mark for education as assess the view that material deprivation is the main cause of differences in educational achievement between social groups
And she also predicted the research methods 20 marks as
Why do sociology a prefer different sampling types

that seems very exact, did she give u any other predictions
My teacher didn't teach us much essay technique, so would someone be able to tell me: if a 20-mark question asks about the functionalist view of the role of education, for example, should you write purely about the functionalist view, or should you branch out and bring in the Marxist, New Right, social democratic and feminist views?
Just a tip for everyone, by the way: don't depend on your teacher's predictions. That's what I did for this paper last year and only got a D. Learn everything to some extent :smile:
Original post by nosaucethanks
Just a tip for everyone, by the way: don't depend on your teacher's predictions. That's what I did for this paper last year and only got a D. Learn everything to some extent :smile:

where did you go wrong? Apart from being told the wrong things obviously how did you structure?:colondollar:
I didn't really structure it. That was the problem. I just went in, guns blazing, writing admittedly quite superficial answers. My teacher's mother died a couple of months before the exams and he got quite depressed about it, so we were sent a substitute who didn't have much sociological knowledge.
Original post by nosaucethanks
My teacher didn't teach us much essay technique, so would someone be able to tell me: if a 20-mark question asks about the functionalist view of the role of education, for example, should you write purely about the functionalist view, or should you branch out and bring in the Marxist, New Right, social democratic and feminist views?

You need to include the different sociological perspectives to criticise the functionalist view because you get A02 marks for it in 12 or 24 mark essays and using general criticisms will also receive A02 marks, such as stating the functionalist view is too positive and does not see the negative roles the education system provides. The criticisms of each view from different perspectives should be in your notes or text book
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've went through the whole of Unit 2 in my textbook, but was just wondering about that. Good luck.
Anyone have any predictions for the 12 mark essay?
Original post by nayana71
Social policies then again we had that for unit 1 so maybenot, 12 marker possibly subject choice and 20 marker is going to hace something to do with material/cultural deprivation

my teacher said social policy can come up on both because not everybody does families and they're both very different types of policies so we've been told to not rule it out because its very likely
Would anyone be able to provide a educational policy essay structure? I am not too sure about the topic and what to include

Quick Reply

Latest