The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lemxn
I am retaking this exam tomorrow after getting a U last year (god knows how) but luckily my Unit 1 grade was an A

Don't lose hope, I got a high A in GEOG1 last year and am retaking this paper tomorrow as I only got a C.

It's a very different type of paper in that it's harshly marked and you are rewarded for precision rather than regurgitating facts and information you have learnt.

Good luck
Original post by MrKmas508
When it asks about secondary data does it mean the other sites done by different pairs?

You can use other data from other classes/groups yes :smile:

I've also thought you can say using an OS Map (1:125000) scale as secondary data. You can also use data from different rivers to also back up the trend of the bradshaw model for example :smile:
Original post by MrKmas508
When it asks about secondary data does it mean the other sites done by different pairs?

Textbooks, maps (physical ones or google maps) and the met office for weather are the main ones
what do we need to know about kite and radial diagrams?
Does anyone have the inserts for the 2012 exam papers? I cant seem to find them anywhere...:smile:
Original post by TheGreatImposter
They've tested each skill once and I think Spearman's rank has come up twice. Basically they could ask us ANYTHING.

I have a feeling standard deviation is about to make a comeback.
Original post by TheGreatImposter
what do we need to know about kite and radial diagrams?

Radial yes. You should be able to add some given data to them, be able to draw basic conclusions such as "Describe the changes in discharge" and for time radial diagrams for example, be able to compare different events that occur at different times.

Kite is A2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Columbo97
Radial yes. You should be able to add some given data to them, be able to draw basic conclusions such as "Describe the changes in discharge" and for time radial diagrams for example, be able to compare different events that occur at different times.

Kite is A2.

Do you have a simple explanation or link to how to read them and add data to them? I've only just learned them and they seem pretty confusing. (Radial)
@MrKmas508

Thanks for uploading those. Some clear and good answers there. Good luck tomorrow
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sapphirehaze
Do you have a simple explanation or link to how to read them and add data to them? I've only just learned them and they seem pretty confusing. (Radial)

I have an example i'll complete now and scan in in a second :smile:

Kite is A2.

kite is as??
Original post by Comeback
Don't lose hope, I got a high A in GEOG1 last year and am retaking this paper tomorrow as I only got a C.

It's a very different type of paper in that it's harshly marked and you are rewarded for precision rather than regurgitating facts and information you have learnt.

Good luck

couldn't agree with u anymore all about technique!! and your highest grade counts right?
I have an example i'll complete now and scan in in a second :smile:

Thank you kindly! :biggrin:

They're sometimes put them in because they look really confusing (moe confusing than they are), especially if you're not used to looking at them. They're not hard to read or add data to though.

Here's an example:

What is the average temp Sydney in July? If you can do that then you're sorted :wink:
Original post by Issy :)
This is what AQA has to say:
Explain..,Why..,Suggestreasons for...Set out the causes of a phenomenon and/or the factors which influence itsform/nature. This usually requires an understanding of processes. Explanation is ahigher-level skill than description and this is often reflected in its greater markweighting.

... Therefore I would say that an Environmental Quality Survey is a measure of the condition of the environment in an area and can be carried out using a [set of condition (has an exact term I can't remember)?] in order to classify different areas. This can then be used to compare the environment in different areas and therefore the social welfare (assess to a clean environment) of different areas...
I think this is right but I would like someone to confirm/improve it :smile:
sorry I can't be more help

Thank you. That sounds A GRADE like. :biggrin:
Original post by Hammy_23
couldn't agree with u anymore all about technique!! and your highest grade counts right?

Yes, although when you're doing a resit pretend it all comes down to this and give it your all. Don't be too laid back.
Original post by Comeback
They're sometimes put them in because they look really confusing (moe confusing than they are), especially if you're not used to looking at them. They're not hard to read or add data to though.

Here's an example:

What is the average temp Sydney in July? If you can do that then you're sorted :wink:

Tell me that the answer is around 55 and I actually may just have a chance with these vulgar looking things :colondollar:
Original post by Hammy_23
kite is as??

That isn't what i have been told. I'll check the spec.
Tell me that the answer is around 55 and I actually may just have a chance with these vulgar looking things :colondollar:

Correct! They are definitely a waste of paper I'll admit.
Thank you kindly! :biggrin:

I think this is correct. Apologies for my terrible handwriting, i tried to make it readable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending