The Student Room Group

No uni this year because i'm a ****. Fourth attempt at college.

Anon because it is embarrasing :frown:

I'm 19 and in college studying an access to he in Business. Unfortunately things have not gone to plans. My attendance is low and my depression is manifesting. This was my third attempt at college and i was going to uni but it is unlikely it will happen because...

I have 12 assignments and 6 exams (some includes retakes)
I have nobody in the course
My tutor is a psychopathic liar (she said she wanted to get rid of me since december, she saying it again in may :confused:)
I Don't get the work and i procastinate every single day.

The Plan for september is to sadly do a BTEC (it's even axed, its called UAL now) Music Level 3. It's a shame i have to go this low and be in a class with school leavers :cry:. The aim of this route would probably see me do the course for a year and do a HND/Foundation degree or do two years and just try to be a Music Lecturer in an FE college without a degree.

I need help on my grieving to not go uni this year. I am about to give up a dream i've always wanted and is now ruined because of me having poor attendance and not understanding the work.

Scroll to see replies

You need to sort your depression out first.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
You need to sort your depression out first.

I guess i do. :frown:

I was really excited that i might be going to uni and whilst there is still a chance, i'll rather not do it as i know i will fail the whole thing.
Original post by Anonymous
I guess i do. :frown:

I was really excited that i might be going to uni and whilst there is still a chance, i'll rather not do it as i know i will fail the whole thing.

You should try your hardest now. Approach people external to the college and get support through them and then just push through. A lot of the assignments can be worked out by looking at online examples and if you start getting yourself together, you may find a hole in the depression that you can push yourself through.

Break your tasks down. Do a little bit and reward yourself and then repeat the cycle.

At uni there is a huge amount of support and guidance. Just get yourself there. One step at a time.
Reply 4
Original post by ParadoxSocks
You should try your hardest now. Approach people external to the college and get support through them and then just push through. A lot of the assignments can be worked out by looking at online examples and if you start getting yourself together, you may find a hole in the depression that you can push yourself through.

Break your tasks down. Do a little bit and reward yourself and then repeat the cycle.

At uni there is a huge amount of support and guidance. Just get yourself there. One step at a time.

It isn't possible :frown:. Procastiation and not even understanding the work ruined this for me.

I've already applied for the BTEC music today :frown:. It's painful as i was exicited to finally leave my horrible family and go to uni but it aint happening. I don't believe in that delusion that i will pass this course.
Reply 5
Depression sucks.

It just takes you over and **** you live and you have no control over it.

You tried ant-depressants?
Anon because it is embarrasing :frown:

I'm 19 and in college studying an access to he in Business. Unfortunately things have not gone to plans. My attendance is low and my depression is manifesting. This was my third attempt at college and i was going to uni but it is unlikely it will happen because...

I have 12 assignments and 6 exams (some includes retakes)
I have nobody in the course
My tutor is a psychopathic liar (she said she wanted to get rid of me since december, she saying it again in may :confused:)
I Don't get the work and i procastinate every single day.

The Plan for september is to sadly do a BTEC (it's even axed, its called UAL now) Music Level 3. It's a shame i have to go this low and be in a class with school leavers :cry:. The aim of this route would probably see me do the course for a year and do a HND/Foundation degree or do two years and just try to be a Music Lecturer in an FE college without a degree.

I need help on my grieving to not go uni this year. I am about to give up a dream i've always wanted and is now ruined because of me having poor attendance and not understanding the work.

Is there any colleges in the area you would prefer to go to? Maybe make a fresh start. Try to do a music course elsewhere.
Remember though uni isn't the entire world lots of ppl don't go even if they have good grades and lots go later in life(saving up money etc) However if u want to do the business route you could try the prince Charles trust they help ppl with business courses/work experience and I think they'd be much nicer than the teacher u have now:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ngb9320
Depression sucks.

It just takes you over and **** you live and you have no control over it.

You tried ant-depressants?

I took everything and nothing work.

It's painful i have to do a fourth attempt in college if i don't pass this course.

I might try my best to go into clearing for a Foundation Year/Foundation course
Reply 8
Original post by TheElvenQueen
Is there any colleges in the area you would prefer to go to? Maybe make a fresh start. Try to do a music course elsewhere.
Remember though uni isn't the entire world lots of ppl don't go even if they have good grades and lots go later in life(saving up money etc) However if u want to do the business route you could try the prince Charles trust they help ppl with business courses/work experience and I think they'd be much nicer than the teacher u have now:smile:

This is what i tried to do, i applied for the manchester college to study an access course in Music. They had accommodation and everything as well but my mum stopped me from going to the interview in Manchester as i live in London :frown:.

It's painful that they maybe no university as i need it for my dream career which i know may not happen. Without a degree, we would continue to do crap jobs with minimum or commission wage. I have had a year out where i kept doing street fundraising and commission sales jobs and that was my depressed moment in my life.

The Prince trust is not advisable, It's for the real trouble makers/Never made it life and besides i'm not interested in Business as the plan, if i was going to uni was to study a music degree.

I just dont know what to do. It seems the right thing to do a BTEC Music with schoolkids.
give clearing a try in the summer, you never know as theres plenty of foundation entry options out there you could try.
Original post by claireestelle
give clearing a try in the summer, you never know as theres plenty of foundation entry options out there you could try.

This is what im planning to do but i wouldn't have a level 3 qualification if i fail the access course.
This is what im planning to do but i wouldn't have a level 3 qualification if i fail the access course.

what qualifications do you already have ?
some do consider you with part of a level 3 passed, say just as levels and not full a levels but depends on the uni.
can you not do another access course starting this september work hard and go uni next year when you're sorted
Original post by JANOS SLYNT
can you not do another access course starting this september work hard and go uni next year when you're sorted

I don't want to touch an access course ever again. It's so unstructured and if you fail, you don't get a grade.

I'm still in the course but it is not possible to complete assignments and exams (and if you fail the exams your ****ed) within 5 weeks.
I don't want to touch an access course ever again. It's so unstructured and if you fail, you don't get a grade.

I'm still in the course but it is not possible to complete assignments and exams (and if you fail the exams your ****ed) within 5 weeks.
well maybe its different at other colleges and its a quicker route you said you could do one in manchester give it go it might be better structured and its better than being in a class full of 16 year olds but its upto you what you feel is best
It's okay OP, we all fail, again and again even, your not alone there. I suggest you take the advice someone else gave you attempting to sort out your depression, easier said than done I'm sure but I think if you somehow get to grips with it, even if it's only a little bit, it will have a positive impact on you. I also suggest not giving up! Try your hardest to understand what seems impossible to understand, that sense of achievement will help you accomplish the next task, then the next task and also impacting you and your depression positively. I say you and your depression because it doesn't belong to you, nor are you obliged to carry it around with you letting it effect your life so negatively, seek the help you need and begin to make a change, it will help you greatly and especially on achieving your goals.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It's okay OP, we all fail, again and again even, your not alone there. I suggest you take the advice someone else gave you attempting to sort out your depression, easier said than done I'm sure but I think if you somehow get to grips with it, even if it's only a little bit, it will have a positive impact on you. I also suggest not giving up! Try your hardest to understand what seems impossible to understand, that sense of achievement will help you accomplish the next task, then the next task and also impacting you and your depression positively. I say you and your depression because it doesn't belong to you, nor are you obliged to carry it around with you letting it effect your life so negatively, seek the help you need and begin to make a change, it will help you greatly and especially on achieving your goals.

I AM PREPARED to put in the work but i have been a similar situation when i in Year 11. I remember my science teacher screaming at me (think of it like Gordon Ramsay) and she was saying you aint going to pass this course. She basically called me a ******* because i had like 14 assignments i hadn't submitted and it was 5 weeks till GCSE. The end result obviously saw me having D/E on my science work.

Even failing some of my GCSE's is the reason why i don't have motivation to think i can pass this access course. It's the Tutors fault for not marking my work quicker to get a feedback and redo the errors of the coursework
This is what i tried to do, i applied for the manchester college to study an access course in Music. They had accommodation and everything as well but my mum stopped me from going to the interview in Manchester as i live in London :frown:.

It's painful that they maybe no university as i need it for my dream career which i know may not happen. Without a degree, we would continue to do crap jobs with minimum or commission wage. I have had a year out where i kept doing street fundraising and commission sales jobs and that was my depressed moment in my life.

The Prince trust is not advisable, It's for the real trouble makers/Never made it life and besides i'm not interested in Business as the plan, if i was going to uni was to study a music degree.

I just dont know what to do. It seems the right thing to do a BTEC Music with schoolkids.

:frown: Shame Manchester would have been nice any chance you could have another shot at it?
What is your dream career? Secret to a lot of jobs (except doctors) is that they nag for work experience.
I didn't go to uni as I had barley any money to afford it but I've been working this past year (did retail work never again lol)
I wouldn't say the princes trust is just for dropouts they help ppl with a range of things e.g they get involved in unis, jobs etc.
Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with all of this, it must suck considering you've been working towards it for a while! :frown:

I think some of the other posts have covered it already - work on your depression before working your way forward in life, hopefully forward to a happier life! I understand how demotivating depression is, which is why it should be #1 priority now and to stop it holding you back.

Also, are you sure music is what you want to do? It sounds almost as if you're doing it because you feel obliged to do something. I don't say this in a cold hearted way, but uni isn't everyone's cup of tea purely because of the emphasis on study and assignments and exams (I'm not saying you're not capable btw). When I was in school I knew this girl that was smart, she should have got A's and B's because she knew her stuff, but she couldn't handle exam conditions and the pressure, she didn't do anywhere near as good as she could have! Uni proves above all that you stick things out. Having a grad v someone who has had a real job (not a grad) doesn't put the grad above the other person, it's literally just a presumption of characteristics! But you need to take the time to help yourself feel better and then work out where to go - don't rush into music if your heart isn't there.

In regards to your tutor, you should complain to the college, go a lot further above than your tutor and say how you feel they've held you back.

There's also no shame in retrying, I admire that you're sticking at it determined to make it work!! Not many would have even tried a second time never mind 3rd time. People are going to judge you in life no matter what, do well or do bad, people will always be ready to say some **** to you/about you.

All the best! If you ever want an ear, drop me a PM, I'd be more than happy to have a chat and see if I can help you :smile:
Original post by iEssArrAy
Sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time with all of this, it must suck considering you've been working towards it for a while! :frown:

I think some of the other posts have covered it already - work on your depression before working your way forward in life, hopefully forward to a happier life! I understand how demotivating depression is, which is why it should be #1 priority now and to stop it holding you back.

Also, are you sure music is what you want to do? It sounds almost as if you're doing it because you feel obliged to do something, (I'm not obligied, i need a degree to become a teacher). I don't say this in a cold hearted way, but uni isn't everyone's cup of tea purely because of the emphasis on study and assignments and exams. (uni is for everyone, without uni, unless the person wants to do an apprenticeship, we can't get a proper career)(I'm not saying you're not capable btw). When I was in school I knew this girl that was smart, she should have got A's and B's because she knew her stuff, but she couldn't handle exam conditions and the pressure, she didn't do anywhere near as good as she could have! Uni proves above all that you stick things out. Having a grad v someone who has had a real job (not a grad) doesn't put the grad above the other person, it's literally just a presumption of characteristics! But you need to take the time to help yourself feel better and then work out where to go - don't rush into music if your heart isn't there.

In regards to your tutor, you should complain to the college, go a lot further above than your tutor and say how you feel they've held you back. (I have!!! they say they will mark my work when they haven't. One tutor in particular has been sick for two weeks and was meant to my work since December!!)

There's also no shame in retrying, I admire that you're sticking at it determined to make it work!! Not many would have even tried a second time never mind 3rd time. People are going to judge you in life no matter what, do well or do bad, people will always be ready to say some **** to you/about you.

All the best! If you ever want an ear, drop me a PM, I'd be more than happy to have a chat and see if I can help you :smile:

Thank you for replying, yes it is painful and i think i will lose the plot soon.

Should i stay or should i go, i know im changing the thread a little but I can't take my firm choice university bribing me by emailing me the 'wonderful opportunites and fun you see when you join us' WHEN I'M NOT EVEN SURE IF I CAN MAKE IT INTO FIRM CHOICE :cry2:. Haven't even done student finance because of uncertainty that i will make it to pass the course

Quick Reply

Latest