The Student Room Group

C2 edexcel maths

Basically, after c1 i estimated i got 45 marks which is 15 marks lower then i expected to get. So definetly retaking next years i was wondering how can i make sure i get at least 60 marks on c2 to make up for c1 any tips/advice thanks.
Original post by gm12345
Basically, after c1 i estimated i got 45 marks which is 15 marks lower then i expected to get. So definetly retaking next years i was wondering how can i make sure i get at least 60 marks on c2 to make up for c1 any tips/advice thanks.

I suppose a good way to improve would be to learn from C1.

Was it that the questions were more demanding than you were used to?

Was it that you ran out of time?

Was there a particular area that you found difficulty with?

In any event, I think practicing harder questions (perhaps solomon) and a bit of revision will help you do improve.
Reply 2
Original post by gm12345

Make sure you get the easy marks, such as factorizing polynomials. These are easy 4/6 marks. Make sure you know geometric series aswell. These can be either easy or tricky. To be fair the ones which consists of logs can be a bit tricky but they're doable. Make sure you know how to intergrate area under a curve! Even if the answer is wrong, you'll get a lot of method marks! Best of luck
C2 can have some very hard geometric series questions (like the 2014 paper), or easy, like imran_ said. Like you I predicted I got at least 54 which is a low B (72%) not too happy with it. I mostly screwed up because that C1 exam had things I have never dealt with before. For example the 2^x=y, 4^x = 2^2x (I got that far) but I didn't know you had do (2^x)^2

2^x=y therefore 4^x = y^2

That also meant I got the next question wrong.

Remainder theorem and dividing polynomials is easy though, a guaranteed 7 marks. So is binomial expansion. Just be aware of geometric series, logarithms and those damn circle questions!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm sure the grade boundaries will drop considering last years was 64 for an A which has yet been the highest. I'm estimating around 60-62 for an A this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
I suppose a good way to improve would be to learn from C1.

Was it that the questions were more demanding than you were used to?

Was it that you ran out of time?

Was there a particular area that you found difficulty with?

In any event, I think practicing harder questions (perhaps solomon) and a bit of revision will help you do improve.

I was prepared , i had done every pasy paper my brain just froze and the time i got to q 9 i ran out of time
Original post by gm12345
I was prepared , i had done every pasy paper my brain just froze and the time i got to q 9 i ran out of time

Ahh, brain freeze is tough.

I would suggest bringing in a bottle of water if you don't already - it's probably better than not having any water and it might help your brain a bit.

Also, all the Edexcel Maths exams are 90 minutes long for 75 marks - just over a minute for each mark - so try and stick to that, and if you see that you're spending a fair bit of time on a question, just leave it and come back to it - you might see something that you didn't before after doing other questions and coming back to it. So just be aware of the time and make sure that you get to attempt everything. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Ahh, brain freeze is tough.

I would suggest bringing in a bottle of water if you don't already - it's probably better than not having any water and it might help your brain a bit.

Also, all the Edexcel Maths exams are 90 minutes long for 75 marks - just over a minute for each mark - so try and stick to that, and if you see that you're spending a fair bit of time on a question, just leave it and come back to it - you might see something that you didn't before after doing other questions and coming back to it. So just be aware of the time and make sure that you get to attempt everything. Good luck!

Thanks mate, hope you get the grades you deserve. And one more thing is it true we cannot retake c1 next year as edexcel specification is changing . Thanks.
Original post by gm12345
Thanks mate, hope you get the grades you deserve. And one more thing is it true we cannot retake c1 next year as edexcel specification is changing . Thanks.

Cheers, you too :smile:

Judging from this page, the new syllabus for Maths is being taught from 2017 onwards and it looks like you can sit the current AS/A2 modules until 2018, so you should be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
Cheers, you too :smile:

Judging from this page, the new syllabus for Maths is being taught from 2017 onwards and it looks like you can sit the current AS/A2 modules until 2018, so you should be fine.

😅😅😅
Reply 10
I'm retaking all 3 maths AS modules (C1, C2 and S1) as I did awfully mainly because of nerves last year, I want an A overall but I feel like I lost a stupid amount of marks because of pressure/ nerves so far, i've resat the first 2 exams so far (I don't work well in exam conditions) - I think I probably got B's in both, is it possible to still get an A overall? I am doing A2 maths also so I have those exams too 😬
Original post by KA99
I'm retaking all 3 maths AS modules (C1, C2 and S1) as I did awfully mainly because of nerves last year, I want an A overall but I feel like I lost a stupid amount of marks because of pressure/ nerves so far, i've resat the first 2 exams so far (I don't work well in exam conditions) - I think I probably got B's in both, is it possible to still get an A overall? I am doing A2 maths also so I have those exams too 😬

if you think you got b's in c1 and c2 thats 140 ums (lowest)
so you need 85 ums on each module from now (c3, c4 and your two applied modules)

480ums is an A overall

Quick Reply