The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2015

Scroll to see replies

mr m how would u describe this paper in relavence to last years
Mr M, will you be covering the OCR MEI papers such as Core1 and FP1?

Thanks.
Original post by Mr M
Drop 1 mark if you had = 0 at the end.

Thanks - I did have =0.
Original post by Connorbwfc
Mr M, will you be covering the OCR MEI papers such as Core1 and FP1?

Thanks.

No sorry I only do OCR papers at A level.
For the last question, I worked out the co-ordinates of Q and R but didn't work out the area.

Would I get any marks for method?
Reply 65
Mr M, For the Area Question I got One of the co ordinates wrong and hence i got rest of the question wrong.. do u think i will get any marks. My method was all correct for working out area though
Does anyone remember what question 4 was? The answers don't seem very familiar...

Thanks
Original post by User10102929
Does anyone remember what question 4 was? The answers don't seem very familiar...

Thanks

It was a disguised quadratic.
Reply 68
For the last question, I got 1 set of co-ordinates right but not the other. I used Area = 1/2 base x height and got Are = 25 instead of 40. How many marks do I lose?
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2015

1. 43+44\sqrt3+4 (3 marks)

2. (i) Curve in second and fourth quadrants (2 marks)

(ii) y=12xy=\frac{1}{2-x} (2 marks)

(iii) Stretch parallel to y axis (or x axis) scale factor 13\frac{1}{3} (2 marks)

3. (i) 585^8 (1 mark)

(ii) 5145^{-\frac{1}{4}} (2 marks)

(iii) 5925^{\frac{9}{2}} (2 marks)

4. x=27x=27 or x=8x=-8 (5 marks)

5. (i) 5 (2 marks)

(ii) 6x8y29=06x-8y-29=0 (7 marks)

6. x=2x=2 and y=1y=1 or x=143x=\frac{14}{3} and y=133y=-\frac{13}{3} (5 marks)

7. (a) 3x2+10x3-3x^2+10x-3 (4 marks)

(b) 148-\frac{1}{48} (4 marks)

8. (i) U shaped parabola passing through (1,0)(-1, 0), (0,3)(0, -3) and (32,0)(\frac{3}{2}, 0) (4 marks)

(ii) x<1x<-1 or x>32x>\frac{3}{2} (2 marks)

(iii) k<258k<-\frac{25}{8} (3 marks)

9. (i) a=13a=13 (5 marks)

(ii) Minimum (2 marks)

(iii) x=13x=\frac{1}{3} (3 marks)

10. (i) Centre (5,2)(5, -2) and radius 5 (3 marks)

(ii) Show ... (5 marks)

(iii) 40 square units (4 marks)

Graph for question 2(i)

Untitled-1.jpg
Reply 70
Mr M, for question 8i I did a U shaped parabola passing through (0,-3), but I factorised wrong and so my other co ordinates were (-3/2,0) and (1,0) so how many marks would I lose and also this messed up 8ii as i did x < -3/2 and x > 1 so would I lose all the marks there or get error carried forward?
What was question 8i? Thats the only one i can't remember. I thought it was a quadratic, not a cubic.

nvm, just drew it from the co-ordinates.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peppercrunch
For the last question, I worked out the co-ordinates of Q and R but didn't work out the area.

Would I get any marks for method?

2 marks
Original post by TheRAG
For the last question, I got 1 set of co-ordinates right but not the other. I used Area = 1/2 base x height and got Are = 25 instead of 40. How many marks do I lose?

drop 2
Original post by Jay Mistry
for question 2ii: I wrote y=-1/(x-2)
would the brackets there be penalized?

for question 6ii: I wrote 625root5 would I lose all 2 marks

for 7a: I wrote -3x^2-3+10x would the order of function be penalized

for question 8i: could I have the equation that you had to solve to find the three intercepts

2ii is correct.

There is no 6ii.

7a - that's fine.
Original post by moonfruits
Hey Mr M!

I just got a couple quick questions. Do you remember the actual question for 3 ii)?

Also for question 7ii) the one with the -1/48 answer. If i wrote it out as -1/3(cuberoot 4096) do I get some marks, and if so how many. The answer I gave on a calculator gives the same as -1/48 however when it came to solving the question I did it to the power 4 first then attempted to cube root. Surely they can't assume you to know the cube root of 4096?

Thanks for the help!

Cube rooting 4096 is easy if you write it as 8 x 8 x 8 x 8 and understand surds.

Drop 1 mark.
Original post by Kingo385
Thanks Mr M, what did 9(iii) ask?

Find the x coordinate of the other stationary point.
Original post by Rubberduckiller
mr m how would u describe this paper in relavence to last years

I can't really remember. I'm old and I answered some of those papers a decade ago. It seemed pretty typical.
Original post by sykik
Mr M, For the Area Question I got One of the co ordinates wrong and hence i got rest of the question wrong.. do u think i will get any marks. My method was all correct for working out area though

2 marks I expect.
Original post by User10102929

Thanks

Solve x^(2/3)-x^(1/3)-6=0

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending