The Student Room Group

Recording artist, should i get braces?

I'm now 17.

I went to the dentist about 2 times through secondary school. The last time (3 years ago?), she said I didn't need braces. I went again recently for a checkup and they didn't comment on the straightness of my teeth so I reckon they thought they're good enough.

But now I'm approaching the public eye it has me worried that my teeth aren't straight enough or they're becoming less and less straight recently. Could they have started crowding or something?

Thing is I'm a recording artist so I don't want my voice to be affected with braces.

Also I totally want to get with girls, will braces at 17 be detrimental?

My teeth:
http://i.imgur.com/OMs0I0i.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pquUHba.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ANuTTHj.jpg
They're normal teeth - a bit of an overbite and a bit crooked, but nothing worth getting braces over. You don't have a gaping hole or anything.
Reply 2
They're perfectly fine dw!
You don't look like you need braces. As an RA, you'll be able to get away with a lot more than women will when it comes to appearance.

BUT, 17 is still quite young, and you may find that you want braces for at least a short period of time, rather than wish you'd had them later on when you're gigging more.
Reply 4
I had braces for over two years, and although they're a pain it is so so so worth it!
I'd recommend going to an orthodontist and asking for an assessment, you don't have to make any decisions but you can get some advice.
My teeth looked pretty normal to the average person, but it turns out that I needed quite a bit of treatment and now they're perfect!
As the person said above, 17 is still young. You'll have plenty of time to get with girls (not that braces would stop that).
Your teeth are fine and do not warrant braces. Having braces is painful, annoying, and very expensive - you don't "need" braces therefore would not be able to get them on the NHS. As you'd have to pay for them now or later in life, you should wait and see if your teeth do move later. Realistically they won't, unless you have wisdom come through and cause overcrowding.
Reply 6
Original post by Musie Suzie
Your teeth are fine and do not warrant braces. Having braces is painful, annoying, and very expensive - you don't "need" braces therefore would not be able to get them on the NHS.

Without a formal assessment you can't actually be sure of this.
When I was 15 I had an appointment with an orthodontist and was told that I would probably not need braces, but to come back in a year to check.
After one year, turns out I needed treatment and it would be covered by the NHS.
Original post by surf98
Without a formal assessment you can't actually be sure of this.
When I was 15 I had an appointment with an orthodontist and was told that I would probably not need braces, but to come back in a year to check.
After one year, turns out I needed treatment and it would be covered by the NHS.

Erm, how did you manage to miss the rest of my post?

Original post by Musie Suzie
Your teeth are fine and do not warrant braces. Having braces is painful, annoying, and very expensive - you don't "need" braces therefore would not be able to get them on the NHS. As you'd have to pay for them now or later in life, you should wait and see if your teeth do move later. Realistically they won't, unless you have wisdom come through and cause overcrowding.

He may find himself in the same situation as you did, which I had already suggested in my post.
If you're going to get braces, best time is now though. It's best while you're still below 18 + in full-time education - free on the NHS. I had to pay ****loads and it put a real dent in my bank account so...

I looked at your pics - nothing majorly wrong. The other posters are right, you might not qualify for free NHS braces as they would consider your reasons to be 'cosmetic'. And you'd have to pay. You have slightly crooked teeth and an overbite... but it's not particularly bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I think your teeth look nice. Obviously it's your choice if you want braces, but I don't think there's a problem
Reply 10
If you do need them, get them. Year or 2 of 'issues' then more or less perfect teeth for the rest of your life is worth it eh?

Have to kind of agree with others. They looks quite good right now and not sure why you need braces. :no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending