The Student Room Group

OCR MEI - FP1 - 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notebook123
How much will be 100UMS?
If I wrote a non strict inequality for the graph question near the asymptotes will I loose 1 or 2 marks?

Depends how many, it will be 1 mark per inequality you got wrong usually :smile: And i think it was a three mark question with 3 inequality signs so I'd expect the usual. I think the answer was x<-1 and 0 </= x < 2
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431633944.975764.jpg
Attachment not found

Haven't done 4 and 6 because I'm too lazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathbomb
zf(z) = f(z)
Answer is z = 1, z = -3, z = 5 - 4j and z = 5 + 4j

Wait why did you write out all 4 of them? We wrote out 3 of them literally in previous part. ffs swear it was only a two mark question, surely you only had to factor out z for 1 mark then divide and say "z=1" for the other mark?? No way you had to factor out, divide, give answer and repeat the 3 other roots all for 2 marks????
for question 2 where the roots were 2+3j and 2-3j, if I had 2+6j and 2-6j and worked out the modulus and argument for them, how many marks will I lose? This question was 5 marks I think
Original post by Craig3210
for question 2 where the roots were 2+3j and 2-3j, if I had 2+6j and 2-6j and worked out the modulus and argument for them, how many marks will I lose? This question was 5 marks I think

Oh yeah the thing is, you either lost all 5 or you got 4 marks, and there's no inbetween unfortunately :/ There's either follow-through marks or not. I reckon you would get 4/5, but don't bet on it. Also a good chance you got 0/5 :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know what question 3 was in words? cant remember it but i know what answers i got
Original post by joe12345marc
Oh yeah the thing is, you either lost all 5 or you got 4 marks, and there's no inbetween unfortunately :/ There's either follow-through marks or not. I reckon you would get 4/5, but don't bet on it. Also a good chance you got 0/5 :/

thank you, can't believe I made this mistake which if I get 0/5 I've definitely lost my A and if I get 4/5, there is a chance a could still get an A :smile:, what mark do you think an A will be?
Imo the A grade boundary is going to be around 58-60ish and getting 70/72 would therefore mean obtaining full ums. Btw thanks for the mark scheme, Dr Pater 💯👌😂
well the last couple of years an A grade have been 63/72 so I think an A will be at least 63/72 and to be honest I did find this paper easy apart from 5ii! I just made so many stupid mistakes like I do on every paper which is going to cost me an A
well the last couple of years an A grade have been 63/72 so I think an A will be at least 63/72 and to be honest I did find this paper easy apart from 5ii! I just made so many stupid mistakes like I do on every paper which is going to cost me an A

Heads up mate! I don't think an A will be as high as 63/72, purely because of 5ii. I got 5ii easy because I've done C2 revision lately so was fresh in my mind, but I lost marks elsewhere and I was fully expecting 100 UMS (got 100 UMS in almost every past paper) so I do think 70/72 ish will be full marks and ~59 will be A boundary, purely because so few people got 5ii. It was an easy paper with a couple tricks, therefore A boundary will still be fairly high but full UMS will be lower. Be confident! :smile: Good luck for the rest of your exams btw.
Heads up mate! I don't think an A will be as high as 63/72, purely because of 5ii. I got 5ii easy because I've done C2 revision lately so was fresh in my mind, but I lost marks elsewhere and I was fully expecting 100 UMS (got 100 UMS in almost every past paper) so I do think 70/72 ish will be full marks and ~59 will be A boundary, purely because so few people got 5ii. It was an easy paper with a couple tricks, therefore A boundary will still be fairly high but full UMS will be lower. Be confident! :smile: Good luck for the rest of your exams btw.

Good luck to you to! I hope you're right, I'm always negative about everything! I've been kicking myself all day because of the mistakes I've made on this paper, firstly I thought (4+6j)/2= 2+6j :frown: then with the inequalities bit I put 3<=x<2, which was really stupid :frown: and I had question 5ii wrong and the area of the triangle wrong in the last question, that's a lot of marks I've dropped mostly over stupid errors
Good luck to you to! I hope you're right, I'm always negative about everything! I've been kicking myself all day because of the mistakes I've made on this paper, firstly I thought (4+6j)/2= 2+6j :frown: then with the inequalities bit I put 3<=x<2, which was really stupid :frown: and I had question 5ii wrong and the area of the triangle wrong in the last question, that's a lot of marks I've dropped mostly over stupid errors

However, all mistakes that shouldn't lose you many marks. Thing is, I did the M2 paper yesterday (yeah I don't know why my school make us do M2 in Year 12 but can't do anything about it) and I got about 6 questions wrong. Yet I may only lose 6 marks, because they are mainly testing you on your understanding, so you'll hardly ever lose lots of marks for a little mistake because although you should lose some marks, they're not testing you on your ability to read from a graph. That was what GCSE's were for :P
However, all mistakes that shouldn't lose you many marks. Thing is, I did the M2 paper yesterday (yeah I don't know why my school make us do M2 in Year 12 but can't do anything about it) and I got about 6 questions wrong. Yet I may only lose 6 marks, because they are mainly testing you on your understanding, so you'll hardly ever lose lots of marks for a little mistake because although you should lose some marks, they're not testing you on your ability to read from a graph. That was what GCSE's were for :P

Thanks for this, you are giving me more confidence now and I'm starting to believe I can actually achieve an A! I'm going to give you a cheeky follow :smile:, what's M2 like then, is it hard? I find M1 hard so I hope M2 isn't too hard :/
Thanks for this, you are giving me more confidence now and I'm starting to believe I can actually achieve an A! I'm going to give you a cheeky follow :smile:, what's M2 like then, is it hard? I find M1 hard so I hope M2 isn't too hard :/

From what I hear it's like M1 but with the inclusion of parameters you would otherwise discard, i.e. air resistance and friction while also having more difficult concepts to understand overall, as in what's happening physically may be harder to grasp the concept of.

Currently doing FP1, M1 and S2. Doing FP2, M2 and NM or D1 next year.
(edited 8 years ago)

Aha no probs man but genuinely confidence can never end badly! Just think, everyone would've lost marks from similar questions to you, and TSR is filled with arrogant/ super high scoring people, so most of them will do really well so don't feel down at all! People that get E's don't go on Forums to discuss answers do they let's be honest xD
Urm well basically. It's the worst thing ever (well MEI OCR M2 is). It's basically like, get the difficulty of M1, double it, assume more random stuff (like why do we ignore air how can these calculations be true wtf xD) then add trick questions. Basically, usually there's a 4 mark question that suspends the most random object from a point and says calculate the angle from the vertical (you know the center of mass and the center of mass is directly below point you're hanging it from so therefore it's angle between center of mass and vertical line on shape (if there is one xD) ) . However, the exam yesterday, there was a 10 mark one, where it said the angle from a different new line. WHich obviously we all accidently missed because EVERY past paper it's said "from the vertical" so our brains assumed the same but it actually said "from the line AB" where AB was a diagonal line across the shape. So yeah. I got it right but it took 35 mins and I didn't finish the paper properly.

I went on a bit of a rant but I hope I got the point across. They trick us. They also like to switch up the info. Usually they give us initial velocity of two particles colliding, but then this time they decided to give us a final velocity of one of them, so obviously i screwed it up and put it in calculations as initial velocity. Things like that, where I fully understand the mechanical prinicples, barely tbh, but still got it entirely wrong :/
Original post by MintyMilk
From what I hear it's like M1 but with the inclusion of parameters you would otherwise discard, i.e. air resistance and friction while also having more difficult concepts to understand overall, as in what's happening physically may be harder to grasp the concept of.

Make sure you get your teachers to make you do D1. It's the easiest course ever to live, so easy that they're scrapping it after next years examination round.
Reply 176
Aha no probs man but genuinely confidence can never end badly! Just think, everyone would've lost marks from similar questions to you, and TSR is filled with arrogant/ super high scoring people, so most of them will do really well so don't feel down at all! People that get E's don't go on Forums to discuss answers do they let's be honest xD
Urm well basically. It's the worst thing ever (well MEI OCR M2 is). It's basically like, get the difficulty of M1, double it, assume more random stuff (like why do we ignore air how can these calculations be true wtf xD) then add trick questions. Basically, usually there's a 4 mark question that suspends the most random object from a point and says calculate the angle from the vertical (you know the center of mass and the center of mass is directly below point you're hanging it from so therefore it's angle between center of mass and vertical line on shape (if there is one xD) ) . However, the exam yesterday, there was a 10 mark one, where it said the angle from a different new line. WHich obviously we all accidently missed because EVERY past paper it's said "from the vertical" so our brains assumed the same but it actually said "from the line AB" where AB was a diagonal line across the shape. So yeah. I got it right but it took 35 mins and I didn't finish the paper properly.

I went on a bit of a rant but I hope I got the point across. They trick us. They also like to switch up the info. Usually they give us initial velocity of two particles colliding, but then this time they decided to give us a final velocity of one of them, so obviously i screwed it up and put it in calculations as initial velocity. Things like that, where I fully understand the mechanical prinicples, barely tbh, but still got it entirely wrong :/

definitely!
Original post by MintyMilk

Doesn't sound too bad then, hopefully I'll get the grades this year to help it make it easier for next year! What's S2 like then?

it sounds really hard as I expected :frown: I'm going to have to work extremely hard in M2 if I'm going to get a good grade in that :L Why do mei love tricking us :frown: I don't see the point in trick questions tbh! If you find m2 hard it'll be like rocket science for me :L I also heard FP2 is also hard :frown: I'm really not looking forward to year 13!

Btw thanks for the follow, what do you get from following someone on here? I don't understand what a follow does tbh :s-smilie:
it sounds really hard as I expected :frown: I'm going to have to work extremely hard in M2 if I'm going to get a good grade in that :L Why do mei love tricking us :frown: I don't see the point in trick questions tbh! If you find m2 hard it'll be like rocket science for me :L I also heard FP2 is also hard :frown: I'm really not looking forward to year 13!

Btw thanks for the follow, what do you get from following someone on here? I don't understand what a follow does tbh :s-smilie:

Lol either do I tbh, i guess it's notifications? I'm not sure about FP2, but my Head of Maths said he prefers FP2 to M2, but me and him massively prefer pure maths anyway :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending