The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by JJBinn
Thanks again, these are perfect

No worries!

Can you think of any other uses of these radiation types?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 781
Original post by frankiejayx
Anyone know any other disadvantages of a CCD other than expensive and need to be kept cool?

It's difficult to think of other disadvantages I must say - advantages are a lot easier.

Perhaps the sensitivity is the only main disadvantage. Has it come up as a past paper question before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by CD223
No worries!

Can you think of any other uses of these radiation types?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Radiation is used to power pacemakers I think. Can't remember the detail haha, not much use
Reply 783
Original post by JJBinn
Radiation is used to power pacemakers I think. Can't remember the detail haha, not much use

Oh I see! I'm sure it'll be an application of radiation they give us rather than us mentioning it specifically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Original post by CD223
Oh I see! I'm sure it'll be an application of radiation they give us rather than us mentioning it specifically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably, although it could come at the end of a question on radiation after a few calculations involving a certain type of radiation: State and explain a use of *beta/gamma/alpha* radiation for 2 or 3 marks.
Reply 785
Original post by JJBinn
Probably, although it could come at the end of a question on radiation after a few calculations involving a certain type of radiation: State and explain a use of *beta/gamma/alpha* radiation for 2 or 3 marks.

I suppose. Those three would be my safe uses. Not too sure on others! I couldn't name 3 for each type.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Astrophysics: June 2011, Q1b (ii)
I understand how the angular resolution and angular separation was calculated using:

θ=λD\theta = \frac{\lambda}{D}

and

θ=4.8×1031.4×109\theta = \frac{4.8 \times 10^{3}}{1.4 \times 10^{9}}

But...
Why is the "minimum" angular resolution the smallest angle in this instance?

I've always seen the maximum angular resolution being quoted as the smallest numerical value. So in this case, I thought that when commenting on the discrepancy between the two angles, you could say that:

"The angle calculated in part ii was the minimum angular resolution, so it may resolve two objects at a smaller angle, making the claim valid".

Is there a definitive time when the terms "minimum" and "maximum" resolution are used? Because I've been caught out too many times!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How has everyone been doing on past papers? Ive given up on 2012 and 2013 because they were sooo difficult, like stuff I didn't even know we had to know (if that makes sense, lol). On the first 2 I got an A however so mixed feelings
Reply 788
Original post by Jed-Singh
How has everyone been doing on past papers? Ive given up on 2012 and 2013 because they were sooo difficult, like stuff I didn't even know we had to know (if that makes sense, lol). On the first 2 I got an A however so mixed feelings

Have you done June 2014?

I've done June 2010, 2011 and 2014 for PHYA5. Got 2012 and 2013 to go. What made them hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
For those doing Astro:

Is d=1pd=\dfrac{1}{p}

for parallax distances to stars an equation we have to remember off by heart?

It came up in June 2014 in my mock today so I was just unsure as I couldn't find it on the formula sheet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 790
Original post by CD223
For those doing Astro:

Is d=1pd=\dfrac{1}{p} for parallax distances to stars an equation we have to remember off by heart?

It came up in June 2014 in my mock today so I was just unsure as I couldn't find it on the formula sheet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't aware of this equation, is p parallex distance? If so what does this even mean?

I thought you work out distances to an object by right angled triangles between the earth, sun, and object in question.
Reply 791
Original post by JJBinn
I wasn't aware of this equation, is p parallex distance? If so what does this even mean?

I thought you work out distances to an object by right angled triangles between the earth, sun, and object in question.

That's essentially is it. The equation drops out of the right angled triangle geometry.

dd is the distance to the object in parsecs, pp is the parallax angle in arcseconds

Where:
1arcsecond=(1degree3600)1 arcsecond = {(\dfrac{1 degree}{3600})}

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 792
Original post by CD223
That's essentially is it. The equation drops out of the right angled triangle geometry.

dd is the distance to the object in parsecs, pp is the parallax angle in arcseconds

Where:
1arcsecond=(1degree3600)1 arcsecond = {(\dfrac{1 degree}{3600})}

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a relief, thought there was something I'd missed :biggrin: my teacher today asked us to show that 1/H is the age of the universe. I didn't know we needed to know that until today.
Original post by CD223
Have you done June 2014?

I've done June 2010, 2011 and 2014 for PHYA5. Got 2012 and 2013 to go. What made them hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yes, I got a B on June 2014. But 12/13 had like really difficultly worded questions and I found it difficult to give myself marks. At least I know now where to improve
Reply 794
Hi, yes, I got a B on June 2014. But 12/13 had like really difficultly worded questions and I found it difficult to give myself marks. At least I know now where to improve

That's true! I get my mark back tomorrow 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Original post by JJBinn
That's a relief, thought there was something I'd missed :biggrin: my teacher today asked us to show that 1/H is the age of the universe. I didn't know we needed to know that until today.

Oh right! Is that involving converting H from kms1Mpc1kms^{-1}Mpc^{-1} into s1s^{-1}? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Original post by CD223
Oh right! Is that involving converting H from kms1Mpc1kms^{-1}Mpc^{-1} into s1s^{-1}? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you rearrange hubbles law to give 1/H = distance/velocity, which is time. Then you convert 1/h into s^-1 yeah.
Original post by CD223
That's true! I get my mark back tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck, I find the easy questions really really easy, but the hard questions are just rock solid impossible. For me theres no inbetween lol :smile:
Reply 798
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah, you rearrange hubbles law to give 1/H = distance/velocity, which is time. Then you convert 1/h into s^-1 yeah.

That makes sense! But then again I guess we could say that discrepancy between estimates of the age of the universe is due to uncertainty in H0{H_0}?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Best of luck, I find the easy questions really really easy, but the hard questions are just rock solid impossible. For me theres no inbetween lol :smile:

I found the Astro paper easier than the core PHYA5 paper... That six marker was solid. The Astro one was much easier haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending