The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature To Kill A Mockingbird Predictions 2015

Does anybody have any idea of the characters that could come up this May? I don't think Jem has come up yet. Any other main ones?

Scroll to see replies

I would actually love it to be about Jem! Was last year's about the Radleys?
Reply 2
Yeah I heard it was the Radleys. I don't think Calpurnia has come up either. I wouldn't mind cal or Jem!
Reply 3
Original post by Gina8010
Yeah I heard it was the Radleys. I don't think Calpurnia has come up either. I wouldn't mind cal or Jem!

I think Jem has been before. I would suggest that Calpurnia is a bit too subtle and doesn't appear in enough places to be questioned on, although she does play a vital part in the bringing up of the children, and her maternal nature (in some places!) show that the racism in the community is clearly without reason.

I would think somebody like Aunt Alexandra or Mrs Dubose would come up, and what they show about Maycomb. Aunt Alexandra is a typical Maycomb lady and her views are so representative of Maycomb ('Maycomb welcomed her') and her views on women, class and black people is both shocking and illuminating in the novel. Look at quotations for her. Even if she doesn't come up, her views will probably be helpful (for example, if the Cunninghams come up then her attitudes to them in Chapter 23 (in terms of their social class) then her commenting on her views towards them would surely form a highly sophisticated response).
Dolphus Raymond came up before so maybe Calpurnia could? Aunt Alexandra or Mrs Dubose could be good too.
Reply 5
Very true- Calpurnia could come up in part (a) but I wouldn't think she could come up for the part (b) context question.
Hate this book...it's going to be the worst exam ever.
Original post by ouatislifex
Hate this book...it's going to be the worst exam ever.

Aw I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm more worried about the other part of this exam :/
Reply 8
Original post by RJG123
I think Jem has been before. I would suggest that Calpurnia is a bit too subtle and doesn't appear in enough places to be questioned on, although she does play a vital part in the bringing up of the children, and her maternal nature (in some places!) show that the racism in the community is clearly without reason.

I would think somebody like Aunt Alexandra or Mrs Dubose would come up, and what they show about Maycomb. Aunt Alexandra is a typical Maycomb lady and her views are so representative of Maycomb ('Maycomb welcomed her':wink: and her views on women, class and black people is both shocking and illuminating in the novel. Look at quotations for her. Even if she doesn't come up, her views will probably be helpful (for example, if the Cunninghams come up then her attitudes to them in Chapter 23 (in terms of their social class) then her commenting on her views towards them would surely form a highly sophisticated response).

Aunt Alexandra has come up before, the passage was the Christmas part and it was about how people expect Scout to behave.
My teacher has said that Jem, Dill, Mrs Dubose and Calpurnia have never come up, and may this year. I would love if it any of those came apart from Mrs D because i cant think of much to say expect shes mean but has a good heart beneath it all cause of her morphine.
I want an A* in English Lit so bad!
Reply 9
Original post by san_28
Aunt Alexandra has come up before, the passage was the Christmas part and it was about how people expect Scout to behave.
My teacher has said that Jem, Dill, Mrs Dubose and Calpurnia have never come up, and may this year. I would love if it any of those came apart from Mrs D because i cant think of much to say expect shes mean but has a good heart beneath it all cause of her morphine.
I want an A* in English Lit so bad!

They have never specifically names aunt alexandra. Part (b) is bound to be about women, poverty or class. (Racism has already been though it could come up again)
How are you splitting up your time for part a and b? Our teacher hasn't gone through this so I was just wondering what everyone is planning on doing :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by thepurplerain
How are you splitting up your time for part a and b? Our teacher hasn't gone through this so I was just wondering what everyone is planning on doing :smile:

20 mins for part (a) and 25 for part (b).
Original post by RJG123
20 mins for part (a) and 25 for part (b).

Thanks, good luck!
Reply 13
Is the first exam on the books or poetry??
Original post by Habz27
Is the first exam on the books or poetry??

The books
For Mrs D you can talk all about her courage and how attics respects her as she is 'the bravest person he ever knew'. I hope they don't give us a really minor character!
Reply 16
Original post by karimoja
For Mrs D you can talk all about her courage and how attics respects her as she is 'the bravest person he ever knew'. I hope they don't give us a really minor character!

Yes chapter 11 is an absolute gold mine for Mrs Dubose. I would suggesting also looking at her views towards scout in that she should be wearing a 'dress and camisole'. She represents Maycomb's views and expectations of women. To a certain extent she is almost portrayed as the physical embodiment of racism itself in the novel: the 'threads of saliva' coming from her mouth would certainly convey the disgusting nature of the racism in Maycomb and one could certainly link it with the saliva of the rabid dog in chapter 10 (again a symbol of racism).
Original post by RJG123
Yes chapter 11 is an absolute gold mine for Mrs Dubose. I would suggesting also looking at her views towards scout in that she should be wearing a 'dress and camisole'. She represents Maycomb's views and expectations of women. To a certain extent she is almost portrayed as the physical embodiment of racism itself in the novel: the 'threads of saliva' coming from her mouth would certainly convey the disgusting nature of the racism in Maycomb and one could certainly link it with the saliva of the rabid dog in chapter 10 (again a symbol of racism).

Yeahh, this is great, I hope we get her, she's not too hard to talk about!
Reply 18
There is a chance Miss Maudie may come up...my teacher said we should make sure to revise her, most likely it will be a female this year as there is a gender imbalance at the moment
Reply 19
Original post by mrubini
There is a chance Miss Maudie may come up...my teacher said we should make sure to revise her, most likely it will be a female this year as there is a gender imbalance at the moment

Yes or miss Caroline fisher. You could look at miss maudie in chapter 6 or at the missionary circle in 24. Good luck tomorrow everybody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending