The Student Room Group

How many push ups ?

This is a question for the Ladies / Girls.
(Though Everyone is very welcomed to respond).
It is something I am quite curious to know and to get Your opinion on, from the female perspective.
HOW MANY PUSH UPS from the floor, in one go/set, should a Man of my age, statistics and body build/structure, be able to do?
I mean going all the way down and up when doing the push ups.
I am not very fit, I am not a sportsman or a body builder or athletic, and I very rarely do sports or any sort of workouts, and very rarely exercise too. I may, however, practice doing push ups from time to time, but only occasionally too.
My personal statistics... Age - 32. Height - approx. 185-186 cm / approx. 6'1-6'2. Weight - approx. 68 kg. Built - average/medium, not really muscular, but do have some muscles. Feet / shoe size - approx. size 41 (European) / approx. size 7 (UK). Eyes - green. Hair - blond.
When I tried doing the push ups recently, I could not really manage more than about 20 push ups (in any one go/set).
What do you - honestly - think of my performance? (Please do feel free to be honest, I will not be offended at all!).
By Comparison...
I also watched videos on YouTube of 3 ladies/girls doing the push ups.
One of them did about 20 push ups (maybe not quite all the way down), another one was able to do approx. 30, and one more lady managed about 35 or 40. (Nice work!).
How do I compare? LOL...
Many thanks in advance to everyone for your opinions and contribution!
I am looking forward to receiving responses to this.

Scroll to see replies

Mate you weigh practically nothing. 20 push-ups should be easy but you're out of shape so what do you expect?

Push ups are about arm strength to weight ratio for the most part, but your core, chest and a little bit of your back will affect your ability to do them too. Honestly if you just do 50 push-ups throughout a 24 hour period, each day, for a month you'll be able to do 20 push-ups in a row after that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TorpidPhil
Mate you weigh practically nothing. 20 push-ups should be easy but you're out of shape so what do you expect?

OK. Thanks! Fair enough..
Mm, not quite so regarding my weight. I have actually gained weight in recent times, being quite skinny or slim in the past earlier on.
Out of shape? Hmm.. We will see about that! (Kidding!).
So 20 is good enough for an Out Of Shape guy then? :smile:
Original post by Vlad83
OK. Thanks! Fair enough..
Mm, not quite so regarding my weight. I have actually gained weight in recent times, being quite skinny or slim in the past earlier on.
Out of shape? Hmm.. We will see about that! (Kidding!).
So 20 is good enough for an Out Of Shape guy then? :smile:

20 definitely is.

I struggle to do 30 and I'de say I'm in decent enough shape considering I train MMA for 5hours a week, weightlift for 4hours a week and do cardio for 3hours a week and have been now for a good 6months.

Me being a 75kg male and I'm 19.
Well I can do 50 in a row. I'm 20, (70-75kgish I think), 5'11"

I do them regularly though multiple times a week.
Reply 6
Original post by Vlad83
This is a question for the Ladies / Girls.
(Though Everyone is very welcomed to respond).
It is something I am quite curious to know and to get Your opinion on, from the female perspective.
HOW MANY PUSH UPS from the floor, in one go/set, should a Man of my age, statistics and body build/structure, be able to do?
I mean going all the way down and up when doing the push ups.
I am not very fit, I am not a sportsman or a body builder or athletic, and I very rarely do sports or any sort of workouts, and very rarely exercise too. I may, however, practice doing push ups from time to time, but only occasionally too.
My personal statistics... Age - 32. Height - approx. 185-186 cm / approx. 6'1-6'2. Weight - approx. 68 kg. Built - average/medium, not really muscular, but do have some muscles. Feet / shoe size - approx. size 41 (European) / approx. size 7 (UK). Eyes - green. Hair - blond.
When I tried doing the push ups recently, I could not really manage more than about 20 push ups (in any one go/set).
What do you - honestly - think of my performance? (Please do feel free to be honest, I will not be offended at all!).
By Comparison...
I also watched videos on YouTube of 3 ladies/girls doing the push ups.
One of them did about 20 push ups (maybe not quite all the way down), another one was able to do approx. 30, and one more lady managed about 35 or 40. (Nice work!).
How do I compare? LOL...
Many thanks in advance to everyone for your opinions and contribution!
I am looking forward to receiving responses to this.

Whilst I don't have an answer to your question I'm curious to know why you thought letting us know your eye and hair colour was relevant. :laugh:
Reply 7
20 definitely is.

I struggle to do 30 and I'de say I'm in decent enough shape considering I train MMA for 5hours a week, weightlift for 4hours a week and do cardio for 3hours a week and have been now for a good 6months.

Me being a 75kg male and I'm 19.

WOW! Interesting to know!
Thanks!.. Hey, you and I we should do a contest then !
Thanks for the complimentary comments !!!
Original post by Vlad83
WOW! Interesting to know!
Thanks!.. Hey, you and I we should do a contest then !
Thanks for the complimentary comments !!!

Out of curiosity I tried just then and only managed 28...

Alas, it's late at night, I have a bunged up nose and I have ate too much, there are my excuses :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Shadez
Whilst I don't have an answer to your question I'm curious to know why you thought letting us know your eye and hair colour was relevant. :laugh:

Simple..
So that you could also rate and appreciate (while you all are at it) How Attractive I am.
Lol.. Kidding !
Reply 10
Original post by ChickenMadness
Well I can do 50 in a row. I'm 20, (70-75kgish I think), 5'11"

I do them regularly though multiple times a week.

My Verdict:
Well ChickenMadness, I would not want to mess with a guy like you. That is for sure! He he...
Reply 11
Out of curiosity I tried just then and only managed 28...

Alas, it's late at night, I have a bunged up nose and I have ate too much, there are my excuses :tongue:

I see.. Well, please do have some rest then. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by TheNoobishKnight

OH WOW !.. 100 - Wahey.. incredible.
Nope.. I can certainly Thank You right now! And I do.
Original post by Vlad83
My Verdict:
Well ChickenMadness, I would not want to mess with a guy like you. That is for sure! He he...

What about those girls you saw on youtube that can do 30 of them? Would you mess with them?

'just saying, how many push-ups one can do is hardly a good indicator of fighting potential hahaha. Some girls have the most ridiculously strong cores... Seen how long they can plank for? Obscene.
Reply 14
Original post by Vlad83
Simple..
So that you could also rate and appreciate (while you all are at it) How Attractive I am.
Lol.. Kidding !

:facepalm2:
Reply 15
What about those girls you saw on youtube that can do 30 of them? Would you mess with them?

'just saying, how many push-ups one can do is hardly a good indicator of fighting potential hahaha. Some girls have the most ridiculously strong cores... Seen how long they can plank for? Obscene.

I see. No, I would not mess with them either. Haa!
When I started doing push ups I could barely do 15. Within a year I was capable of doing 60. It is something that comes with time and practice. Technique is important, as well as gradually building on your endurance. My best advice is don't over exert yourself too much, look at various different push-up regimes and take your time.

20 push-ups isn't bad if you don't regularly do them.
Reply 17
Original post by Swanbow
When I started doing push ups I could barely do 15. Within a year I was capable of doing 60. It is something that comes with time and practice. Technique is important, as well as gradually building on your endurance. My best advice is don't over exert yourself too much, look at various different push-up regimes and take your time.

20 push-ups isn't bad if you don't regularly do them.

OK. Thanks so much! That is very useful indeed. Good piece of advice and experience there.
And congrats on your own achievements! 60 is like.. Wow!
And Yay.. - I am strong it turns out!
Original post by Vlad83
OK. Thanks so much! That is very useful indeed. Good piece of advice and experience there.
And congrats on your own achievements! 60 is like.. Wow!
And Yay.. - I am strong it turns out!

I haven't kept up with it, and doubt I could manage 30 if I was to try now :lol: put on a bit more weight since I was last into it.

Best of luck, keep at it. Potential within everyone to become stronger and fitter, it is just that most never initiate on it.
Reply 19
Original post by Swanbow
I haven't kept up with it, and doubt I could manage 30 if I was to try now :lol: put on a bit more weight since I was last into it.

Best of luck, keep at it. Potential within everyone to become stronger and fitter, it is just that most never initiate on it.

True indeed...
And Thank You for this!
You and I should do a contest.. he he. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending