The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Teaching..

Hello I've got some questions, what type of person would teaching suit? Is it better to teach primary or secondary kids and why.

Is the teaching uni course fun.. what do u learn
Out of all my friends in the teaching profession, Primary school teachers seem the happiest. :smile:

I trained as a secondary school teacher, but it wasn't really for me. You need to be willing to accept that the work will come home with you most of the time. There's more, but I could waffle for days.

I liked being in control of a class. It felt good to be a respected, approachable part of the faculty. It was also a lot of fun sometimes, I loved doing practical lessons!

What are you thinking about doing?
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by lledrith
Out of all my friends in the teaching profession, Primary school teachers seem the happiest. :smile:

I trained as a secondary school teacher, but it wasn't really for me. You need to be willing to accept that the work will come home with you most of the time. There's more, but I could waffle for days.

I liked being in control of a class. It felt good to be a respected, approachable part of the faculty. It was also a lot of fun sometimes, I loved doing practical lessons!

What are you thinking about doing?

Okay this might be long... I'm sixteen at college and need to apply for university this September. I'm confused about uni courses and careers.i use to consider a lot of p practical based careers but i've noticed a lack of demand in that field,and in general I dislike doing practicals mainly since the practical instructions are confusing and some bits I don't understand. Not only that the teacher shouts a lot and kind off drained my confidence.

I can't see myself doing practical work 24/7 anyways and I've noticed it's not good for my skin..
I'm a kind, honest and helpful person. I'm patient with people and can handle stress pretty well if with strangers. I've achieved grade Cs at GCSE but I think my sentence structure and grammer isn't that good.

I'm planing to get a work experience done at a Primary School to experience the atmosphere and the role of the teacher. If my love to act one for a day! :smile:
Ahh! You'll enjoy the work experience. Primary schools are awesome. :smile:

Patience and tact with strangers is always a useful thing, parents are often as interesting as the students! :P

Original post by Uz25
i use to consider a lot of p practical based careers but i've noticed a lack of demand in that field

What did you mean by that? What else were you contemplating?
Ahh! You'll enjoy the work experience. Primary schools are awesome. :smile:

Patience and tact with strangers is always a useful thing, parents are often as interesting as the students! :P

What did you mean by that? Wh
at else were you contemplating?

Oh okay. I meant like there isn't a lit of jobs avaliable for ccareers like scientist. ..

I had to research what contemplating meant lol. I've been thinking off a wide range of careers as I was ensure. However,i've narrowed my options to: teaching, pharmacist and law.

Could I ask,is my grammer and sentence structure alright? Do teachers get paid well?
The NHS funds a few science-based courses for jobs such as nursing, midwifery and radiotherapy due to their high demand. But in terms of 'scientist', the funding for research can be sporadic, you're right.

It's alright - you'll have a lot of essays thrown your way during your training, so practice will help. :smile:

Original post by Uz25
Do teachers get paid well?

The salary for newly qualified teachers is around £22,000. This will go up based on performance and additional responsibilities. A head of department role will bring in around £35,000 for example.
The NHS funds a few science-based courses for jobs such as nursing, midwifery and radiotherapy due to their high demand. But in terms of 'scientist', the funding for research can be sporadic, you're right.

It's alright - you'll have a lot of essays thrown your way during your training, so practice will help. :smile:

The salary for newly qualified teachers is around £22,000. This will go up based on performance and additional responsibilities. A head of department role will bring in around £35,000 for example.

If you don't mind me asking what grade did you get at GCSES? Your puntuation and grammer is outstanding.

Oh the salary isn't bad; i'm not sure about what salary is good at this age though. How long have you been teaching? What's your salary like?

Could you give me a short list of pros and cons of teaching.
Mostly Bs and Cs at GCSE. I went on to do an art and design BTEC, and then did a BA in Fine Art. After that.. I did a postgraduate certificate in secondary education. It took a while to get there. :smile:

I've been teaching in one form or another for about 4 years, but most of that has been as an independent visitor running workshops as opposed to mainstream. This wasn't salary based so much, I just charged a flat rate of £25 an hour.

Original post by Uz25
Could you give me a short list of pros and cons of teaching.

I'll do my best:

Pros

You have a lot of control over the way material is taught (usually)
You're in a position with a lot of trust and responsibility
You're surrounded by a large network of support staff, this helps a lot!
It's rewarding, you get to see children flourish as individuals.
The holidays! (sometimes)

Cons

You will find yourself bringing work home at the end of the day
You will spend most of your time off planning or assessing
Your holidays will be more expensive because prices go up for half term :tongue:
Sometimes, parents are always right, even when they aren't
You may find yourself carrying the emotional baggage of your pupils

I am sure others can add to this list!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending