The Student Room Group

Most incredible, profound advice an older person ever gave you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wear sunscreen
I was at Morrisons eating my roast chicken lunch and as I put the stuffing in my mouth an elderly man smiled and said:

"Those with the biggest cock get all da pu$$y"

I learn't so much that day.
"**** Bitches Get Money"
I can't remember any advice that was given to me that wasn't obvious.
"We're all lost - none of us really know what we're doing."

I can't remember who or when it was said but I know a few people have done.

Original post by holmes221
We often incorrectly and blindly associate wisdom with age (you could be old and still be an idiot who hasn't learnt life's lessons)

See. This too could be led to mean the same thing.
Original post by iAmanze
People need to stop saying life is too short.

It is not. Just because it's a common saying does not make it true.

(except people whose life is taken from them by other people/disease).

The world is 4.54 billion years old. The average life expectancy in the UK is around 81 years.

and you're telling me that life is not short?

Even a bloody tortoise lives longer than we do.
Original post by holmes221
do you still have your arms?

Itrypun the wit my feat
I live by these:
No matter what happens, the world will keep spinning, the sun will keep shining so don't worry about it.
Reach for the stars and even if you don't manage you will land on the moon but u will still be higher than those who aimed for the moon and landed on the rooftop.
And also one of my favourites... Oh just F**k it!
Original post by Kittiara
When traveling, always put a toilet roll in your hand luggage. Following this advice has served me well.

I always do that anyway everyday haha. Always got tissues or toilet roll or whatever in my bag. Useful stuff.
Original post by iAmanze

it's pretty short when you look back at everything and how fast the seasons go by lol.
Spoke to an old guy today who told me that there is no point doing something if it makes you miserable, life is too short for it. Pretty sound advice.
Reply 31
"The biggest risk you can take is not to take any."

cheesy as hell but memorable (to me at least)
Only through punishment can we truly learn.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
The world is 4.54 billion years old. The average life expectancy in the UK is around 81 years.

and you're telling me that life is not short?

Even a bloody tortoise lives longer than we do.

That's ridiculous.

That's like saying. An atomic bomb exploding is meh... a small thing as look at the size of the universe. -.-

Look at life as a whole and stop comparing it with something much larger just to seem correct. That's just taking advantage of the human cognitive bias of comparison.
Reply 34
“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."
Original post by iAmanze
That's ridiculous.

That's like saying. An atomic bomb exploding is meh... a small thing as look at the size of the universe. -.-

Look at life as a whole and stop comparing it with something much larger just to seem correct. That's just taking advantage of the human cognitive bias of comparison.

Okay, I shall look at life as a whole then. It's short!

I'm 31 and it feels like five minutes ago that I was 21. Ten years of my life gone in the blink of an eye.

Your own perspective might not be the same as mine, after all, time is relative, but to me it's goddamned short! Too bloody short.

My daughter was born yesterday...she turns TEN in September.

Life is short.

Short short short short SHORT.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Okay, I shall look at life as a whole then. It's short!

I'm 31 and it feels like five minutes ago that I was 21. Ten years of my life gone in the blink of an eye.

Your own perspective might not be the same as mine, after all, time is relative, but to me it's goddamned short! Too bloody short.

My daughter was born yesterday...she turns TEN in September.

Life is short.

Short short short short SHORT.

You're taking your perspective of time and trying to make it reality.

You thinking something does not make it true. Those 10 years of your life that went by were still 3650 days, but oh, as you think it went by 'in the blink of an eye" then omg guys... don't blink 8 times or you'll be dead...

...no. Just no.

(Lemme guess, when you're bored at work let's say and you look at the time and think "urgh time is moving so slowly", that now also means that because you feel that, then time is actually moving slowly and so we are living super long right? ... *sigh*)
Original post by iAmanze

I always take it as referring to those people. If you do know somebody close to you who has died young, life is desperately and sickeningly short.

If you live your life assuming you'll live to 80 and get run over by a car at 20, you may not have made those 20 years count for so much. We never know what **** is out there waiting for us. Carpe diem.
Never believe everything your read in a newspaper or see on TV nor expect it to bee 100% true and accurate. Everyone in life has a bias and an agenda that puts their own spin on things even without a deliberate effort to do so.
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things

Quick Reply

Latest