The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

I really messed up c1. I got around 50 not including method marks(all my methods were correct) anyone know what I need to aim for in c2 and m1 to secure an A
Original post by prepdream
Which formulas we have to learn to prove for the C2 exam?

Just the sum of a geometric sequence, and it might not even come up, it would be worth 3 or 4 marks though so its definitely worth learning
Original post by TeeEm
do all past EDEXCEL papers
do all past EDEXCEL practice papers
all solomon papers
all Elmwood Papers,
all IYGB papers
all Delphis Papers
all ZigZag papers
(have I missed anybody?)

Just Joking

10.jpg

Mate I don't get the joke! Do I really have to do all those papers?
Original post by john123412
I really messed up c1. I got around 50 not including method marks(all my methods were correct) anyone know what I need to aim for in c2 and m1 to secure an A

well 50 marks is probably roughly 60 ums, not exactly sure though, but you would need to get roughly 90 ums on the other 2 exams, which is around 67/75.

But don't worry, if you messed up c1 you can always retake it
Original post by Anon_98
Aw Im sure you did fine, dont worry haha. I advise to do as many past papers as you can and from these make sure you look at your mistakes and work from them...redo the question maybe a day later to ensure you are comfortable. In additon, ermmm go over your notes in class? Im not sure but hope it helps lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :]]]]
Yeah I think that's a good strategy. Will do that. You doing Solomon papers or any other papers other than the usual edexcel past papers?
Original post by imnoteinstein
Guys! I need help :/
okay so for example we end up with;
sinx= -3/4
so
x = -48.6
and the range is 0 <x <360
what am i supposed to do now to get the 2 positive values of x? :redface:

I normally imagine a sine wave. which helps me visualise what are the rough points on the curve that match each other in terms of y value.

Edit: there's also another method using a circle split into 4, cant remember what its called though. I personally found it confusing, but other people in my class say its really helpful
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LearningGeek
Read the question properly, check each step after you do it and of course know your stuff :smile:

People know how to do stuff but lose marks because of silly mistakes, its the most annoying thing ever
And think, if its a question you cant answer, its never something you haven't learnt before, so try to think what the question is asking you to do, i.e what topic its from

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That really is some great advice that I wish I had in mind for the C1 paper, it was exactly silly mistakes and not reading the question properly that let me down :[
One of our maths teachers said there's usually a hard paper of either C1 or C2, and as most people seem to have found C1 harder than usual C2 might hopefully be better!
Original post by IIEquinoxII
well 50 marks is probably roughly 60 ums, not exactly sure though, but you would need to get roughly 90 ums on the other 2 exams, which is around 67/75.

But don't worry, if you messed up c1
you can always retake it

How many marks would I get for using the correct methods but wrong answer
Reply 169
I personally use the CAST diagram so much simpler, watch this video should clear things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCnBgyM9kQ
what proofs do we need to know for the exam?
How many marks would I get for using the correct methods but wrong answer

Normally you would drop one or two marks if your method was absolutely perfect but then something like a signage error messed it up for you.
Also take into account that many questions ask for answers to a certain number of significant figures, im not sure if that mark is dependant on the actual value being correct or not.

Easiest way to find out is to look at a similar question on a past paper and find the mark scheme for it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by skittles100
what proofs do we need to know for the exam?

Just the sum of a geometric sequence for C2, but if you count trigonometric identities as proofs then there's those as well
I normally imagine a sine wave. which helps me visualise what are the rough points on the curve that match each other in terms of y value.

Edit: there's also another method using a circle split into 4, cant remember what its called though. I personally found it confusing, but other people in my class say its really helpful

Omg. I just tried the imagining a wave thing, its pretty useful. Thanks alot!
Reply 174
Hey guys, I would appreciate it if someone told me what equations I need to know, I know all my geometric sequences and sine cosine stuff, I'm talking about the practical based shape differentiation questions.

Obviously there is 'pi' r^2 for area of a circle, 2'pi'r for circumference, 4'pi'r for SA of a sphere and 'pi' r * slant height for area of curved surface for cone.

I know that we need to know area and SA of cylinder, trapezium etc etc.... Can someone tell me what others we need to know?
Reply 175
Original post by pearl_rose
Mate I don't get the joke! Do I really have to do all those papers?

do as many as you can!
Normally you would drop one or two marks if your method was absolutely perfect but then something like a signage error messed it up for you.
Also take into account that many questions ask for answers to a certain number of significant figures, im not sure if that mark is dependant on the actual value being correct or not.

Easiest way to find out is to look at a similar question on a past paper and find the mark scheme for it

For example I rearranged incorrectly for dy/dx but I still diffrentiated correctly and in the part b I used the correct method to find the equation of a tangent.
Guys please help me with this question. I cant get it. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
For example I rearranged incorrectly for dy/dx but I still diffrentiated correctly and in the part b I used the correct method to find the equation of a tangent.

I really have no idea, it depends on the amount of marks available, the wording of the question etc
Just the sum of a geometric sequence for C2, but if you count trigonometric identities as proofs then there's those as well

thanks, what do you mean by trigonometric proof, can you give me an example?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending