The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 & C3 (14th May 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Turtlebunny
Yes, most likely.

Ok , lol i think i revised too much and mixed up mark scheme answers , some questions i didnt reread which is a bad habit lol , im probaly gonna get a or something though due to annoying mistake i made with the 5 marker ! , not even on spec.
Original post by Nomes24
Your theory is correct however the question asked for how increasing the temperature would affect yield of hydrogen iodide, so I'm not sure you whether you would be credited? I'm not an examiner though, sorry... It's only 2 marks so don't worry yourself.

\
Okydoke
Original post by Nomes24
Sorry when I reread I realised I'd put produced instead of used up. Basically if the endothermic reaction is favoured to lower the temperature, more hydrogen and iodine are produced as this is the endothermic reaction. If more hydrogen and iodine are produced, the hydrogen iodide would go down as more would be used up as the reactant in the endothermic reaction. Additionally as the endothermic reaction is favoured, the exothermic reaction which produces hydrogen iodide would go slower so less hydrogen iodide would be produced.

Don't worry about the grade boundaries. I'm sure many people found the equilibrium questions challenging, and there were a lot of them- should be fine.

I must have written 'no', and then contradicted myself by talking about how equilibrium is restored as more of the backwards reaction takes place to counteract increase in temperature. I was probably thinking of the Haber process there.
Original post by MrTechGamer
Ok , lol i think i revised too much and mixed up mark scheme answers , some questions i didn't reread which is a bad habit lol , im probably gonna get a or something though due to annoying mistake i made with the 5 marker ! , not even on spec.

That 5 marker was really nasty. I definitely dropped something like 10-15 marks going by my predictions. Hopefully in B1 and C1, if I revise a bit more, I can pull my UMS up, hopefully to an A*. We'll have to wait and see :/
I wonder how examiners actually credit responses for GCSE science...
Looking at mark schemes they are really picky, but will an examiner award marks if someone uses alternative wording or if it doesn't include a keyword.. Do they credit students based on their understanding, or whether they 'tick the boxes' - especially for the public (June) examinations where papers haven't ever been taken before??
Original post by Palette
I must have written 'no', and then contradicted myself by talking about how equilibrium is restored as more of the backwards reaction takes place to counteract increase in temperature. I was probably thinking of the Haber process there.

Just a genuine mistake, no biggie so don't worry about it!
You know what, I'm going to send an email to AQA. See what they say :P Probably will ignore, since I'm a candidate, not a centre :P
Original post by Nomes24
Just a genuine mistake, no biggie so don't worry about it!

Nonetheless, I think I did very well in Unit 2 and I should focus on the Science Unit 1s and Physics now... and English Literature, which I'm clueless about.
Original post by Palette
Nonetheless, I think I did very well in Unit 2 and I should focus on the Science Unit 1s and Physics now... and English Literature, which I'm clueless about.

Sounds good! What board are you on for English Lit? I'm doing AQA iGCSE. Studying Romeo and Juliet!
Original post by Nomes24
Sounds good! What board are you on for English Lit? I'm doing AQA iGCSE. Studying Romeo and Juliet!

I'm studying the normal GCSE, with An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men, like many other people who use TSR.
has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme for c3
Original post by Palette
I'm studying the normal GCSE, with An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men, like many other people who use TSR.

same doing an inspector calls to): dreading the essay questions
Original post by Palette

Cool, I did To Kill a Mockingbird for my coursework whereas other people in my year did Of Mice and Men. Think my brother did the exact same as you. Good luck for Monday(?) !
Original post by Nomes24
Cool, I did To Kill a Mockingbird for my coursework whereas other people in my year did Of Mice and Men. Think my brother did the exact same as you. Good luck for Monday(?) !

are you studying to kill a mockingbird? So am I, my teacher only just started teaching us and my exam is monday - dreading it would be an understatement. Any advice you could give me?
Original post by rumana101
same doing an inspector calls to): dreading the essay questions

I'm dreading them too.

I hate how you can't really predict the questions these days... I have notes but I've only made one draft essay. I hate how almost all of the notes online only give you the points and quotes, and nearly none of them contain A* analysis.

Original post by Nomes24

Thanks!
Original post by Turtlebunny
Yes, most likely.

[1 mark] - For saying most likely that the yield/amount of Hydrogen iodide (the compound on the left) goes up.
[2 marks] - For saying that the forward reaction is endothermic, so if more energy is supplied to the reaction, this is encouraged and more products are produced, reducing the amount of hydrogen iodide - converse will probably be accepted as well: The backward reaction is exothermic, so supplying more energy won't encourage it anymore, and will actually reduce yield of hydrogen iodide.

the yield decreases you ****ing idiot
Original post by Pra99
Grade boundary predictions:

b2:43
b3:45

c2:48
c3:46

these are for a stars

i agree with these.
Did anyone else find the 5 mark on C3 about titration seriously difficult? I've spoken to my chemistry teacher who has been teaching GCSE and A Level for 15 years and she said she didn't have a clue what they were after!
Original post by TheClassicsGeek
Did anyone else find the 5 mark on C3 about titration seriously difficult? I've spoken to my chemistry teacher who has been teaching GCSE and A Level for 15 years and she said she didn't have a clue what they were after!

I agree with you. I have no idea because method 2 is too short to even find advantages and disadvantages and method 1 doesn't make any sense
Original post by thomasconnor
the yield decreases you ****ing idiot

It goes down rather. Sorry, I sidetracked because I was busy arguing with bastards like you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending