The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marli-Ruth
Thanks!! :biggrin:
Could you elaborate for me :frown: I've got no notes on this! Just remember my teacher mentioning it :frown:

Yes of course, it's freuds psychosexual development, which is part of his psychodynamic approach. According to the theory, whilst a child is developing they go through a series of stages where the id seeks gratification through different erogenous zones. If a child is over or under gratified at one of these stages, it is possible for them to become fixated at this stage and this will have an impact later in adult life.
1. The oral stage: pleasure is gained from eating and sucking. Weaning is the most important development achievement. Fixation at this stage may cause smoking addictions or eating disorders later in life.
2. The anal stage: pleasure is gained from controlling bowel movements and bladder control. Becoming 'potty-trained' and using the toilet are key developmental achievements. Fixation at this stage may cause OCD, anxiety or cleanliness problems.
3. At this stage a child becomes aware of its gender. Gratification comes from stimulation of the genitals. Development at this stage is different between boys and girls. Oedipus complex occurs for boys which is where all boys are in love with there mum and hate their dad and are jealous of him. Electra complex/penis envy occurs for girls, girls have penis envy.
I don't think you need to know these last 2 but I'll tell you anyway.
4. Latency stage: the focus is on social development rather than psychosexual. It is sometimes regarded as the calm before the storm of adolescence.
5. Genital stage: if conflicts earlier in development have been satisfactorily resolved; the greatest pleasure at this stage comes from mature relationships.
I hope this helps☺️
[QUOTE="undine_monty;55808943"]
Original post by nat100000

No problem! Good luck on your exams :h:

Thank you, you too☺️
PSYA2 question
when the question says:

outline and evaluate research into stress related illnesses how do you know whether to talk about cardiovascular and psychiatric disorders or other research such as the Glaser and Cohen?

We did two studies conducted by Kieloct Glasser that was about stress and illness/ the immune system with the natural killer cell and a bunch biopsy, it's which ever one talks about illness or the immune system ☺️
Original post by nat100000
Yes of course, it's freuds psychosexual development, which is part of his psychodynamic approach. According to the theory, whilst a child is developing they go through a series of stages where the id seeks gratification through different erogenous zones. If a child is over or under gratified at one of these stages, it is possible for them to become fixated at this stage and this will have an impact later in adult life.
1. The oral stage: pleasure is gained from eating and sucking. Weaning is the most important development achievement. Fixation at this stage may cause smoking addictions or eating disorders later in life.
2. The anal stage: pleasure is gained from controlling bowel movements and bladder control. Becoming 'potty-trained' and using the toilet are key developmental achievements. Fixation at this stage may cause OCD, anxiety or cleanliness problems.
3. At this stage a child becomes aware of its gender. Gratification comes from stimulation of the genitals. Development at this stage is different between boys and girls. Oedipus complex occurs for boys which is where all boys are in love with there mum and hate their dad and are jealous of him. Electra complex/penis envy occurs for girls, girls have penis envy.
I don't think you need to know these last 2 but I'll tell you anyway.
4. Latency stage: the focus is on social development rather than psychosexual. It is sometimes regarded as the calm before the storm of adolescence.
5. Genital stage: if conflicts earlier in development have been satisfactorily resolved; the greatest pleasure at this stage comes from mature relationships.
I hope this helps☺️

we haven't been taught this? I only briefly know about the ID, EGO and SUPEREGO and how Freud linked it to the iceberg?
Original post by Fleming1928
we haven't been taught this? I only briefly know about the ID, EGO and SUPEREGO and how Freud linked it to the iceberg?

it's fine thats all i've learnt, you don't have to know about Freuds other stuff like them stages
Loopa will be updated before the end of this year with all the new spec changes so for new students - dont worry there will be support available.
basically, i am basically a textbook. i have learned and revised all the information about the spec, each topic in big detail, but my problem is application. i cant get the information down onto the exam in the best relevent way :/ ive done all passed papers frpm the last 9 years. and now i am stuck. exams's on monday. HELP
can someone give me research into life changes and the evaluation?
i only have research for daily hassles:s-smilie:
If it's any help, don't fret! Daily Hassles anf Life Changes was a 12 marker only in Jun'13 sooo..
Has anyone got any good predictions for what will come up for PSYA2? Loopa tweeted that he is going to change his predictions and I was wondering if anyone's teacher made a prediction? Mine actually predicted PSYA1 really accurately but I don't think he has said anything about unit 2 yet...

Yeah that will be fine we just put this into psychodynamic approach because it's his second part to it but then we don't explain the superego, id and ego we just talk about ego defence mechanisms and what happens if the superego because more dominant and if the id becomes more dominant so you'll be fine☺️
can someone give me research into life changes and the evaluation?
i only have research for daily hassles:s-smilie:

We got told you don't need both because it always says daily hassles and/or life events, so we've only done life events I haven't got any studies for daily hassles. But for life events we do Holmes and Rahe and Rahe et al, in Holmes and Rahe they created the SRRS to rate life events, it is a questionnaire which contains 43 life events and they are all give a life change unit score from 1-100, and they said that when the total LCU score is added up if it is greater than 150 then you are at risk of stress related illness and this further rose by 50% with a score greater than 300, and then Rahe et Al is where he tested the SRRS, I hope this helped☺️
Original post by Nisr123
Has anyone got any good predictions for what will come up for PSYA2? Loopa tweeted that he is going to change his predictions and I was wondering if anyone's teacher made a prediction? Mine actually predicted PSYA1 really accurately but I don't think he has said anything about unit 2 yet...

when did he tweet that????????
Can someone give me a full mark answer (don't know if it's 6 or 8) of this:

outline the the body's response to stress?

Thank youuuu :smile:
Can someone give me a full mark answer (don't know if it's 6 or 8) of this:

outline the the body's response to stress?

Thank youuuu :smile:

Acute Stress: (SAM)
- the hypothalamus activates the SNS
- the SNS travels to the adrenal medulla
- this releases adrenaline and noradrenaline stimulating the fight or flight response
Effects: diluted pupils, increase heart beat and blood pressure and impaired digestion, if constant could lead to heart attack or heart disease

Chronic Stress: (PAS)
- the hypothalamus releases CRF
- this travels to the pituitary glands which releases ACTH
- this travels to the adrenal cortex and adrenal glands which releases cortisol
Effects: sudden burst of energy, lowered sensitivity to pain, impaired cognitive performance and lowered immune system, if constant it can lead to a weak immune system and cancer

Easy bulletpoints :biggrin:
I really need notes for the psychology unit 2 does anyone have any? I feel like I messed my first exam so I definitely need to do way better on this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xabsx
Acute Stress: (SAM)
- the hypothalamus activates the SNS
- the SNS travels to the adrenal medulla
- this releases adrenaline and noradrenaline stimulating the fight or flight response
Effects: diluted pupils, increase heart beat and blood pressure and impaired digestion, if constant could lead to heart attack or heart disease

Chronic Stress: (PAS)
- the hypothalamus releases CRF
- this travels to the pituitary glands which releases ACTH
- this travels to the adrenal cortex and adrenal glands which releases cortisol
Effects: sudden burst of energy, lowered sensitivity to pain, impaired cognitive performance and lowered immune system, if constant it can lead to a weak immune system and cancer

Easy bulletpoints :biggrin:

You angel! :smile:
If I get an outline and evaluate question am I only allowed to give strengths for the evaluation if I cant remember any weaknesses?
Original post by tobeobi
If I get an outline and evaluate question am I only allowed to give strengths for the evaluation if I cant remember any weaknesses?

Yeah :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me the correct definitions of abnormality?? For example if it said "outline FFA/DSN/DIMH" my teacher has gave me really confusing definitions that dont seem to match what the internet says !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending