The Student Room Group

GCSE 21st Century Chemistry C1 C2 C3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vanilla Poison
I'm pretty sure you had to mention two uses of crude oil and not specifics.

It was the second part of that tick two boxes which explain why there are different fractions in crude oil - it said to name two fractions in the fractional distillation process 😓
Original post by SusamS
I thing you're focusing too much on the tensile strength when frankly they are all equally important. You're ignoring 3 catogries of significant difference and fixating on one of little difference as you precieve that its the main one

In addition you're saying that nylon and polyester are the same weight when soaked. You"re forgetting that water absorbance is also a measured feature so lets say they're the same weight, polyester is better as it has a lower water absorbance!

unfortunately, it's not the same weight as it said nylon had a lighter density than polester by around 0.2 or something, therefore nylon having 6% water absorbency and polyester having 0.5% will balance out the overall mass. just to let you guys know, i'm not trying to be offensive or rude but trying to prove a point because i feel like there's a build up of haters towards me. sad!:s-smilie:
Reply 382
Original post by iamlucy
It was the second part of that tick two boxes which explain why there are different fractions in crude oil - it said to name two fractions in the fractional distillation process

It says uses
Original post by SusamS
It says uses

Thank you!!!
Can someone put the chemistry paper online please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kavinthan
unfortunately, it's not the same weight as it said nylon had a lighter density than polester by around 0.2 or something, therefore nylon having 6% water absorbency and polyester having 0.5% will balance out the overall mass. just to let you guys know, i'm not trying to be offensive or rude but trying to prove a point because i feel like there's a build up of haters towards me. sad!:s-smilie:

You can't pick two though.
Original post by SusamS
It says uses

Damn, how many marks :frown:
Original post by iamlucy
Damn, how many marks :frown:

2 Marks
2 Marks

Jesus, I've royally screwed up this paper. Thinking about it I've lost 10 marks definitely :frown:

Do you reckon the grade boundaries will be high or low for this - if you had to guess?
Original post by iamlucy
Jesus, I've royally screwed up this paper. Thinking about it I've lost 10 marks definitely :frown:

Do you reckon the grade boundaries will be high or low for this - if you had to guess?

Don't get too worked up about it :smile: IMO it was a pretty decent paper, not all that challenging though I do think the boundaries will be more on the low side
Don't get too worked up about it :smile: IMO it was a pretty decent paper, not all that challenging though I do think the boundaries will be more on the low side

Damn, I didn't get to sleep until 1:30 the night before with worry, sure that didn't help :frown: I'm so sorry, I was so sure I was right, bet i've come across as a right jack-ass.

In your opinion, i'm gonna say i've got 40/60 -6 marks, I've DEFINITELY lost, 4 I probably have, and then 10 for silly mistakes - do you reckon that will be an A? I know you won't know exactly but I'm freaking out I've completely screwed up now :frown:
Original post by iamlucy
Damn, I didn't get to sleep until 1:30 the night before with worry, sure that didn't help :frown: I'm so sorry, I was so sure I was right, bet i've come across as a right jack-ass.

In your opinion, i'm gonna say i've got 40/60 -6 marks, I've DEFINITELY lost, 4 I probably have, and then 10 for silly mistakes - do you reckon that will be an A? I know you won't know exactly but I'm freaking out I've completely screwed up now :frown:

You didn't come across as rude, it's fine! :smile:
You seem like you know your stuff, using common sense and a decent amount of scientific knowledge will easily get you an A! I know for sure I've lost some marks, maybe enough to drop me form an A* to an A but I'm not worrying.
All I'm saying is that you've most likely done fine, stop thinking about the past and concentrate on the future. Good luck for future exams!
You didn't come across as rude, it's fine! :smile:
You seem like you know your stuff, using common sense and a decent amount of scientific knowledge will easily get you an A! I know for sure I've lost some marks, maybe enough to drop me form an A* to an A but I'm not worrying.
All I'm saying is that you've most likely done fine, stop thinking about the past and concentrate on the future. Good luck for future exams!

Thank you so, so much :smile: You're right, but I do suffer from really bad anxiety, which makes this incredibly difficult - thank you though.

I certainly hope that it's an A - finger's crossed that some people found it difficult enough for there to be moderately low grade boundaries :frown:
Original post by iamlucy
Thank you so, so much :smile: You're right, but I do suffer from really bad anxiety, which makes this incredibly difficult - thank you though.

I certainly hope that it's an A - finger's crossed that some people found it difficult enough for there to be moderately low grade boundaries :frown:

Yea I certainly hope so! I'm not in a good position either, a couple questions threw me off :s-smilie:
My efforts are towards doing well in the Physics paper now, I should really get off this thread :h:
Original post by SusamS
It says uses

Can you send me the paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry but I think you're wrong. In the test I thought it was fuels and lubricants but the question says the fractions have MANY uses and fuels and lubricants are probably it with the exception of maybe a few more uses we don't need to know for GCSEs. And remember the molecules that come out of each fraction are not specifically "bitumen" and "kerosene" molecules as similar length chains go into each fraction. Therefore these fractions are used for bitumen, kerosene etc. the uses are in fact bitumen and kerosene etc not fuels and lubricants.
Original post by iamlucy

You can still achieve an A* overall, so concentrate your efforts on the upcoming one's. Also what kind of grades are yours CAs at?
Original post by zigocarn
You can still achieve an A* overall, so concentrate your efforts on the upcoming one's. Also what kind of grades are yours CAs at?

All A* - i'm fine when i'm relaxed, i just panic horrifically in exams :frown: Thank you :smile:
Original post by Zaydy3
Sorry but I think you're wrong. In the test I thought it was fuels and lubricants but the question says the fractions have MANY uses and fuels and lubricants are probably it with the exception of maybe a few more uses we don't need to know for GCSEs. And remember the molecules that come out of each fraction are not specifically "bitumen" and "kerosene" molecules as similar length chains go into each fraction. Therefore these fractions are used for bitumen, kerosene etc. the uses are in fact bitumen and kerosene etc not fuels and lubricants.

I put Bitumen and refinery gas :frown: I see exactly what you're saying - I suppose naming fractions would have been saying something like "carbon chain 8" - but we'll have to wait and see :smile:
Original post by iamlucy
I put Bitumen and refinery gas :frown: I see exactly what you're saying - I suppose naming fractions would have been saying something like "carbon chain 8" - but we'll have to wait and see :smile:

Yeah luckily I thought it through and wrote bitumen and kerosene. Refinery gas would be correct too!! :party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending