The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommy 97
Bit gutted seemed to have messed up the last question a little. As a querry would i be able to get any marks/ possibly access level two with this information?

Explain using spear mans rank for increase in velocity downstream and increase in hydraulic radius. Explain why we would expect it (brief explanation) Strong correlation (with data from field study). Significant to 0.01, 1 % happening by chance. Reject null hypothesis, help us to accept our hypothesis although not confirm (Was on Bradshaw model, so only one part of it). Obviously explained in more detail in exam, but would that be a correct answer or as I didn't explain how we worked it out would it not count for much? Many thanks

We don't have the markscheme of course, but the parts in bold I think are spot on!

Linking to the underlying theory (Bradshaw) and your hypothesis is good. I'd guess that's a level 2 for sure!
For the quantitative and qualitative question I said that that qualitative doesn't have numbers and my example was an OS map to investigate the characteristics of the river. For the quantitative I said that it includes numbers and my example measuring river velocity which increased by 2.5 m/s. Is this right?
Original post by Dominosh
For the last question I wrote all about scatter graphs talking about the advantages too and linked briefly at the end to spearmans rank. To I get credited for this? Got a feeling not which is a bummer as everything else went so well in the paper.

Ahh seen this had been answered

That's what you're meant to do, that's what I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Comeback
We don't have the markscheme of course, but the parts in bold I think are spot on!

Linking to the underlying theory (Bradshaw) and your hypothesis is good. I'd guess that's a level 2 for sure!

Thanks for the reply. By explains spearmens rank I quite literally mean I said it can be used to find a correlation between velocity and hydraulic radius. I didn't explain the process of how you do it or anything, so would that result in a drop in marks?
Weird, Did anyone divide 2048 by 12? Which gave 248.75 for the mean? My standard deviation is really high (790) but I checked twice and I got the same thing.
What was the question about drawing a line that people seemed to have missed? Was it the trip lines?
Original post by edwardsheeran
What was the question about drawing a line that people seemed to have missed? Was it the trip lines?

Yeah I missed it. Apparently that was it and it was worth 2 mark. I'm just worried I missed more than one question..
Grade boundaries 31/32 for A considering last years was 33 for A and this years was harder?????
Overall that question was really good, I'm slightly scared that I confused the 2 names of the settlements as they were really similar!! But I did double check so hopefully it's ok
Reply 369
did you have to colour in the trip lines because i didnt :frown: also did the last question say to refer to your data because I didn't :frown:
Is this correct :

- I used spearmens rank
- I Ranked all my data samples in order e.g 14cm was ranked 1 as it was the largest
- I then ranked all the site numbers e.g 25 was the largest site number
- I Then minused the rank of the samples from the rank of the sites
- I then sqaured the value to get ride rid of minus values
- I added up total of these data points ans then added it to the equation
- I got a value of -0.71
- I used this method as it shows rhe the relationship between two and the significance of this correlation
- My value showed my data had a 99% probably it was not due to chance which provided me with strong evidence to prove my hypothesis and bradshaw model

Is that correct?
Original post by bzhzhzejry
Yeah I missed it. Apparently that was it and it was worth 2 mark. I'm just worried I missed more than one question..

Wasn't that the only question on the double page? You had to draw one trip line from Bonmer Heath (or whatever it was called) to another city/town, then on a separate map you drew a trip line from Belle Vue (feel like I've got the name wrong again) to a different settlement. Can't remember how many marks that was though
Reply 372
Original post by TheGreatImposter
How bloody accurate is that :redface: why didn't I see this before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, My teacher was drilling it into our heads that these topics hadn't appeared in a long time. Even so, the labelling and describing desire line questions weren't nice.
Original post by Charco63
Grade boundaries 31/32 for A considering last years was 33 for A and this years was harder?????

Yep :smile:
Original post by laur a
did you have to colour in the trip lines because i didnt :frown: also did the last question say to refer to your data because I didn't :frown:

I'm not sure about colouring in the trip lines, you'll probably be ok, at worst you'll maybe drop one mark.

The last question didn't ask you to refer to your data but I just dropped in my value of Spearman's Rank, but I'm sure it's fine if you didn't because they didn't ask you to!
I'm not sure about colouring in the trip lines, you'll probably be ok, at worst you'll maybe drop one mark.

The last question didn't ask you to refer to your data but I just dropped in my value of Spearman's Rank, but I'm sure it's fine if you didn't because they didn't ask you to!

Would you get marked down for doing it in pencil?
Wasn't that the only question on the double page? You had to draw one trip line from Bonmer Heath (or whatever it was called) to another city/town, then on a separate map you drew a trip line from Belle Vue (feel like I've got the name wrong again) to a different settlement. Can't remember how many marks that was though

Wait a sec, they put a question on the handout? Or am I reading this wrong?
Original post by SubwayLover1
Would you get marked down for doing it in pencil?

I did it in pencil, you won't get marked down as it's easy to make a mistake and so people need to rub it out (I had to erase it like 3 times).

Graphs and similar stuff is generally fine to write in pencil, it's just a bit dodgy to write the whole exam in pencil
Original post by Tommy 97
Thanks for the reply. By explains spearmens rank I quite literally mean I said it can be used to find a correlation between velocity and hydraulic radius. I didn't explain the process of how you do it or anything, so would that result in a drop in marks?

I'm really not sure, but I think it would at most drop you to bottom level 2 (I think I had the opposite problem, I described how I did it but didn't draw conclusions as well as you).
Original post by bzhzhzejry
Wait a sec, they put a question on the handout? Or am I reading this wrong?

No it was the two pages in the exam paper with the trip lines

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending