The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bzhzhzejry
Wait a sec, they put a question on the handout? Or am I reading this wrong?

No, the handout was just for Q1a
Original post by Dieselblue
Weird, Did anyone divide 2048 by 12? Which gave 248.75 for the mean? My standard deviation is really high (790) but I checked twice and I got the same thing.

???
Original post by bzhzhzejry
Yeah I missed it. Apparently that was it and it was worth 2 mark. I'm just worried I missed more than one question..

On that double page there was only 1 question. The only negative (other then missing out on the marks) is that you may lose marks on the question asking you to talk about the maps as you'll be missing data from both.
Does anyone remember the wording of the last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
Original post by edwardsheeran
I'm not sure about colouring in the trip lines, you'll probably be ok, at worst you'll maybe drop one mark.

The last question didn't ask you to refer to your data but I just dropped in my value of Spearman's Rank, but I'm sure it's fine if you didn't because they didn't ask you to!

thank you. I was so worried my friend said I had to refer to the data which if you did i wouldnt have got like 3/8! Also, what did you write about spearmans rank? I had no idea but i wrote something like this:

I used spearmans rank to analyse my data by calculating the spearmans value using the median of my bedload data for each site. This allowed me to work out the significance of my data and whether it occurred by chance or not. Furthermore, using the significance level percentages (5 and 1%) it allowed me to determine exactly how significant or not significant my data set is and thus whether I should accept the null or alternative hypothesis (say what that are). Spearmans rank is a proven and reliable method of data analysis and so I was able to analyse my data in the best possible way.

Thats kinda what I wrote. What do you recon because i have no idea how it went.
Original post by Comeback
I'm really not sure, but I think it would at most drop you to bottom level 2 (I think I had the opposite problem, I described how I did it but didn't draw conclusions as well as you).

Ahh thanks very much. Hopefully the mark scheme is fairly nice and you can get away with it either way. When looking at previous marks schemes they have had quite a broad range of acceptable answers so hopefullywe'll be alright.
Original post by Ana-ana
For the quantitative and qualitative question I said that that qualitative doesn't have numbers and my example was an OS map to investigate the characteristics of the river. For the quantitative I said that it includes numbers and my example measuring river velocity which increased by 2.5 m/s. Is this right?

I did the same for the part in bold.

For qualitative I said it is descriptive and referred to terms like 'sub-angular' when categorising sediment roundness.
Original post by laur a
thank you. I was so worried my friend said I had to refer to the data which if you did i wouldnt have got like 3/8! Also, what did you write about spearmans rank? I had no idea but i wrote something like this:

I used spearmans rank to analyse my data by calculating the spearmans value using the median of my bedload data for each site. This allowed me to work out the significance of my data and whether it occurred by chance or not. Furthermore, using the significance level percentages (5 and 1%) it allowed me to determine exactly how significant or not significant my data set is and thus whether I should accept the null or alternative hypothesis (say what that are). Spearmans rank is a proven and reliable method of data analysis and so I was able to analyse my data in the best possible way.

Thats kinda what I wrote. What do you recon because i have no idea how it went.

I'm really uncertain about the last question, I have no idea how the mark scheme will interpret it so I'm not much help there
Reply 388
For the last question could you have used a scattergraph as a method of data analysis as long as you talked about the line of best fit etc?
For qualitative I'm mentioned looking at cross sections which were built to scale to see if they got bigger
Original post by Dieselblue
Weird, Did anyone divide 2048 by 12? Which gave 248.75 for the mean? My standard deviation is really high (790) but I checked twice and I got the same thing.

standard deviation was 96 point something not 790 that's to high
Original post by bennyh
For the last question could you have used a scattergraph as a method of data analysis as long as you talked about the line of best fit etc?

Yes. That's fine that's what I did, do you remember the wording of the question? command word was "describe" right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bennyh

yes, you could of also said spermans rank. the exam board allows you to say both these technique even though the question state to only use one.look at some past paper mark scheme if you don't believe me.
Reply 393
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Yes. That's fine that's what I did, do you remember the wording of the question? command word was "describe" right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it said outline one method of data analysis and the advantages. i don't think it wanted specific reference to your results?
Original post by MrKmas508
For qualitative I'm mentioned looking at cross sections which were built to scale to see if they got bigger

you could of also talked about investigating rock types near the area of study
Reply 395
Question 2)c on this mark scheme should put peoples minds at ease about the last question http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-GEOG2-W-MS-JUN12.PDF"Another approach might be to link one or more techniques as part of the same analysis, e.g. scatter graph and Spearman’s test. This is acceptable."
Original post by bennyh
Yeah it said outline one method of data analysis and the advantages. i don't think it wanted specific reference to your results?

So if I wrote about how I would do it as in what I put on the axis, drawing a line of best fit, removing anomalies and it was good to show the relationship easy to conduct and can be used with the Spearmans rank. Would that be right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
Original post by TheGreatImposter
So if I wrote about how I would do it as in what I put on the axis, drawing a line of best fit, removing anomalies and it was good to show the relationship easy to conduct and can be used with the Spearmans rank. Would that be right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 100%, may have been useful to mention which one was the independent and dependant variable so you could then say which axis axis they have to go on.. well i did that anyway
Reply 398
What was the last question?
Please could someone begin compiling a markscheme and everyone please write down what questions came up before we all forget!

Good luck in the rest of your exams everybody!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending