The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nurav11
Haha no definitely not, I'm applying with Maths, FM, Bio, Chem and Econ, there's a lot of people with weird and wonderful combinations so long as there's Maths/Physics, Bio and Chem you'll be fine.

Yeh definitely! Exactly the same I worry that what I have isn't enough/isn't what I should be doing etc :s-smilie:. So far, I've done two work experience placements in Nuclear Medicine and Cardiology for a week each, then in the summer, I've hopefully got a GP placement and a trauma A and E replacement (not finalised yet though). Volunteering, I've currently done it in a dementia care home for a few months as doing this thing called 'Vitalise' over the summer where you can care for disabled people at a holiday care home (so help them to go fishing, go on walks, that sort of thing :tongue:). Extracurriculars though... that's where I don't really have enough cause I have no idea what's relevant or not. I'm on the charities committee at school + have done some fundraisers but don't think that's helpful :frown:.

What about you with work experience/volunteering/extra-curriculars? Also, have you started to buy UKCAT/BMAT books yet? And which other unis are you considering? :smile:

Wow, you've done loads! You're definitely a strong applicant xD the vitalise thing sounds pretty good :biggrin:

In terms of work experience, I've not got a lot. I have a week up in Manchester general hospital, a couple of days in John Radcliffe hospital, about a week in sobell house hospice shadowing a doctor. This summer, I have a week in Manchester uni in their biochem/Chem lab and then another week in John Radcliffe hospital.
Volunteering- I volunteer at a care home once a week, I run a children's liturgy group at my church, I volunteer with a 19 year old disabled boy, just helping him to improve his reading and comprehension skills. I also mentor a child in year 7, although I'm stopping soon and I volunteer with my church's charity regularly- most recently we made lunch to raise money for suffering Dominican sisters in Iraq. I'm involved with two student-run volunteering organisations, the first of which I was a co-founder. Volunteer with them on a fairly regular basis too. I do a fair amount of charity work, raised money for great ormonds street etc etc cba to type any more :lol: Starting some more volunteering stuff this summer, volunteering in a school for disabled children, helping them swim and I'm volunteering in the John Radcliffe too.
Extracurriculars- I'm kinda lacking there, I feel. I play netball competitively. I used to swim, but I stopped because of GCSEs. I do a lot of stage management and technical work for theatrical productions. Problem is, I don't really know what counts as an extra-curricular :lol: do we mention Olympiads or not on our personal statement?

Yeah, bought my UKCAT/BMAT books a while ago, but I haven't used them yet. I also got this small book about medical ethics- apparently it's good?
How about you?
As for unis, Bristol, Kings, Durham and maybe Imperial are looking quite good right now :biggrin: you?
Original post by Anti-Dirac
There is indeed! It's a shame it doesn't specify which applicants were made offers though :s-smilie:

Yep!

And who knew they kept a note of your Extended Project title, Duke Of Edinburgh achievements, music distinctions, etc, etc...
Original post by thechemistress
Hmm. Well, thanks for bringing that to my attention, I've never really thought about it before so I'll have to look it a bit more :wink:

Aha, same here! I'm unusually relaxed about my A-Levels- maybe because it's because we know we're fully prepared? :lol:

Oh good, that's made me feel a lot better xD I was thinking everybody was going to be applying with biology, chemistry, physics, maths AND further maths, which is why I was more than a bit stressed about the fact that I'd dropped it xD
Nice to meet another medic! What sort of things have you done in terms of work experience/volunteering/extracurriculars? I'm always worried that I haven't done enough :lol:

Another medic! Yaay! Dw you're not the only one that hasn't taken FM :lol: i was getting worries as well but I don't think it would really matter if our other grades are good. The way i see it, i would rather get amazing grades in 4 subjects than do FM and not do as well :smile:
What work experience/volunteering have you done so far?

Edit: Just realised you have already said what you have done for work experience... my bad :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
And who knew they kept a note of your Extended Project title, Duke Of Edinburgh achievements, music distinctions, etc, etc...

:eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thechemistress
Wow, you've done loads! You're definitely a strong applicant xD the vitalise thing sounds pretty good :biggrin:

In terms of work experience, I've not got a lot. I have a week up in Manchester general hospital, a couple of days in John Radcliffe hospital, about a week in sobell house hospice shadowing a doctor. This summer, I have a week in Manchester uni in their biochem/Chem lab and then another week in John Radcliffe hospital.
Volunteering- I volunteer at a care home once a week, I run a children's liturgy group at my church, I volunteer with a 19 year old disabled boy, just helping him to improve his reading and comprehension skills. I also mentor a child in year 7, although I'm stopping soon and I volunteer with my church's charity regularly- most recently we made lunch to raise money for suffering Dominican sisters in Iraq. I'm involved with two student-run volunteering organisations, the first of which I was a co-founder. Volunteer with them on a fairly regular basis too. I do a fair amount of charity work, raised money for great ormonds street etc etc cba to type any more :lol: Starting some more volunteering stuff this summer, volunteering in a school for disabled children, helping them swim and I'm volunteering in the John Radcliffe too.
Extracurriculars- I'm kinda lacking there, I feel. I play netball competitively. I used to swim, but I stopped because of GCSEs. I do a lot of stage management and technical work for theatrical productions. Problem is, I don't really know what counts as an extra-curricular :lol: do we mention Olympiads or not on our personal statement?

Yeah, bought my UKCAT/BMAT books a while ago, but I haven't used them yet. I also got this small book about medical ethics- apparently it's good?
How about you?
As for unis, Bristol, Kings, Durham and maybe Imperial are looking quite good right now :biggrin: you?

Well now I'm just feeling waaayyyy outclassed!
Original post by C0balt

Just because it's noted doesn't mean it's important. Probably acts as cue for potential interview questions.

As noted - the big problem with that data is it doesn't show the outcome - i.e. did they get an Offer. I very much doubt there's a causality between DoE (etc) and Offers. (correlation =/= causality :wink: )
Original post by jneill
Just because it's noted doesn't mean it's important. Probably acts as cue for potential interview questions.

As noted - the big problem with that data is it doesn't show the outcome - i.e. did they get an Offer. I very much doubt there's a causality between DoE (etc) and Offers. (correlation =/= causality :wink: )

I will make sure to write my EPQ title on my PS so that I would get asked lol. I am more likely to know what I am talking about if I have done a project on something rather than some light reading!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
I will make sure to write my EPQ title on my PS so that I will get asked lol. I am more likely to know what I am talking about if I have done a project on something rather than some light reading!

What is your EPQ on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
What is your EPQ on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh not fully decided yet but prob on quantum mechanics
WHY is TSR SO SLOW recently :angry:
Original post by TheKhaleesi
Another medic! Yaay! Dw you're not the only one that hasn't taken FM :lol: i was getting worries as well but I don't think it would really matter if our other grades are good. The way i see it, i would rather get amazing grades in 4 subjects than do FM and not do as well :smile:What work experience/volunteering have you done so far?Edit: Just realised you have already said what you have done for work experience... my bad :tongue:

Ah, glad to see somebody else who hasn't done it :biggrin: What other subjects are you doing? :h:
Original post by Anti-Dirac
:eek:Well now I'm just feeling waaayyyy outclassed!

dw, I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail my AS levels, so you're fine :lol:
All this talk makes me glad that I didn't choose medicine as degree :lol:
Original post by enaayrah
All this talk makes me glad that I didn't choose medicine as degree :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah,the volume and quality of the applicants is very high.I feel even more sorry for the admission tutors.
This may be because of a lack of sleep but I actually feel hopeless about everything
This may be because of a lack of sleep but I actually feel hopeless about everything

Definitely feeling pessimistic about UMS percentages here.

After that C1 everything has been sucked out it seems
Today in C2 mock I doubted if I my brain was still mine...:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You took a note from.my book and did a all nighter?
Oi, all of you who are feeling pessimistic about UMS averages, don't be. THIS IS NORMAL, I understand everybody has personal goals with these types of things, but think about what actually matters in the long run. So what if you dropped 3 marks, it's frustrating I know, believe me I know, but is it REALLY going to hinder your chances? Not at all, you can guess about grade boundaries all you like, but the reality of the situation is you're going to have to wait until results day either way. So do yourself a favour, don't be angry at yourself, pick yourself up and look ahead to the next exam, you don't want some snowball effect where your attitude from the previous exam affects your performance for the next, that is where things could actually go wrong. Put yourself in a fresh state of mind, these next few weeks are going to be stressful, nobody said it wouldn't be, but you're slap bang in the middle of it now and the absolute worst thing you could do is think about your previous exams when you still have existing exams coming up.
do i have any chance with cambridge maths if i dropped 2/3 marks on c1 aha absolute shambles

Latest

Trending

Trending