The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

The standard deviation was 96.42 - people are getting like 790 because they didn't square root their answers.
describe the advantages of your field work area

describe and justify one method you used to collection data

with reference to your field work,distinguish between qualitative and quantitative data

describe how one technique you used helped you to analyse data and the advantages of this technique
Original post by Sacred Ground
The standard deviation was 96.42 - people are getting like 790 because they didn't square root their answers.

that's right
Original post by bennyh
Yeah 100%, may have been useful to mention which one was the independent and dependant variable so you could then say which axis axis they have to go on.. well i did that anyway

I did that:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't explain how I worked out Spearmans Rank because the question was asking how you analysed data. The process of working Spearmans rank is not analysing data though? It's what you do with the value you get (e.g. Comparing it to critical values, rejecting/accepting null hypothesis etc). Am I wrong?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by help089
describe the advantages of your field work area

describe and justify one method you used to collection data

with reference to your field work,distinguish between qualitative and quantitative data

describe how one technique you used helped you to analyse data and the advantages of this technique

Wasn't it "Describe one technique you used" not describe how? since that would basically be the answer to the second part
Original post by Comeback
Mind reader :wink:

Haha I saw it coming - that special vibe. It was so good though, glad it came up:biggrin:
for the "compare the two areas" question i talked about how one was rural and a smaller village and the other an inner city estate which was much larger and possibly much older, i also talked about the roads with the main road running through belle vue and a much smaller road in Bomere heath.

for the describe the pattern on the flow diagram i said that bomere travel further (majority 69%) to places such as birmingham due to cars and having better jobs ect... in cites where as in belle view the majority went to telford.
i also said that in bomere they traveled to more places (14) than in bell vue (11)

any one get anything roughly the same?
Original post by TheGreatImposter
So if I wrote about how I would do it as in what I put on the axis, drawing a line of best fit, removing anomalies and it was good to show the relationship easy to conduct and can be used with the Spearmans rank. Would that be right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah you could that or just talk about Spearmans Rank- which would have been easier imo
and perfect saw a past paper describing does no harm
Original post by treflop1234
for the "compare the two areas" question i talked about how one was rural and a smaller village and the other an inner city estate which was much larger and possibly much older, i also talked about the roads with the main road running through belle vue and a much smaller road in Bomere heath.

for the describe the pattern on the flow diagram i said that bomere travel further (majority 69%) to places such as birmingham due to cars and having better jobs ect... in cites where as in belle view the majority went to telford.
i also said that in bomere they traveled to more places (14) than in bell vue (11)

any one get anything roughly the same?

Well I measured the lines to Telford and Birmingham to be 5mm and thus 10 people commuting to each; I did also mention the fact they're CBD's reinforced by the population of over 500,000 and so its inevitable that there will be more people commuting there. I mentioned the roads and jobs too. So yeah....
Weird, I also got 30.something (30.03?) for the standard deviation. I'm going back over it in my mind and I really can't work out what I've done wrong. I divided the value provided for sum of (x - mean)^2 by 12, then square rooted the answer. If anyone knows where I made the mistake, please do point it out to me. :tongue:
I didn't find the exam too bad overall, though, except perhaps the question with the comparison of the maps/trip lines. Hopefully the completely random points that I put down might still get some marks.
Well that was horrible...bye bye A grade...:bawling:
Original post by zabveniye
Weird, I also got 30.something (30.03?) for the standard deviation. I'm going back over it in my mind and I really can't work out what I've done wrong. I divided the value provided for sum of (x - mean)^2 by 12, then square rooted the answer. If anyone knows where I made the mistake, please do point it out to me. :tongue:
I didn't find the exam too bad overall, though, except perhaps the question with the comparison of the maps/trip lines. Hopefully the completely random points that I put down might still get some marks.

Did you put the whole number including the square root into the calculator? Or did you do 111556.22/12 then square root that answer?
Original post by treflop1234
Wasn't it "Describe one technique you used" not describe how? since that would basically be the answer to the second part

I described how you did it e.g went through all the ranking stuff
Original post by Sacred Ground

I actually did root my answers, I followed the formulae and got 790, if you root 790 you only get 28 which is not even close to 96.42
Original post by Dieselblue
I actually did root my answers, I followed the formulae and got 790, if you root 790 you only get 28 which is not even close to 96.42

It seems you routed the answer separately rather than encorporating it as a whole number, try doing 111556.22/12 and square root now as a whole calculation, you should get 90 something I just can't remember the real number.
Ooh I describe how I drew my scatter graph and then gave direct links to it and it's advs such as being visual ect
I'm pissed off that I didn't see the 2 mark question
Reply 418
Hey guys,

Was just wondering i wrote my standard deviation working out and final answer in pencil, will this affect whether i get the marks or not and if when they scan it the pencil will show up?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, hope everyone found the paper ok. Surprising to see 2 x 8 mark questions in the fieldwork section as the highest mark question has usually been 6 in the past. didn't think the paper was that bad overall, definitely better than last years (i resat the exam today)

Quick Reply

Latest