The Student Room Group

Jake Livermore tests positive for cocaine

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hull-city/11608450/Hull-midfielder-Jake-Livermore-tests-positive-for-cocaine.html

Oh dear. Poor Steve Bruce. He's been dreadful this season anyway, to be honest.

Cocaine isn't a performance-enhancing drug, though. I bet a lot of footballers are at it but just don't get caught by random drug tests.

Scroll to see replies

What do you reckon the ban will be like for this? I'll guess six months and a massive fine.
Ridiculous that he's been caught and Wilshere hasn't.
Reply 3
Ridiculous that this is even a story
Reply 4
Original post by difeo
Ridiculous that this is even a story

Professional footballer failing a test for a Class-A substance is always going to make headlines, isn't it?

When Kate Moss snorted a bit she was plastered everywhere and vilified. Seems only natural a sportsman would be.
Given Mutu and Bosnich were both sacked for testing positive for cocaine, i'd be surprised if he wasn't sacked.
Reply 6
Original post by Mackay
Professional footballer failing a test for a Class-A substance is always going to make headlines, isn't it?

When Kate Moss snorted a bit she was plastered everywhere and vilified. Seems only natural a sportsman would be.

Yeah, as things are it will be a big thing of course. I just mean the attitude to drugs in general though.
Reply 7
Original post by The Shed End
Given Mutu and Bosnich were both sacked for testing positive for cocaine, i'd be surprised if he wasn't sacked.

Yeah he will be. Mad to think Adam Johnson is still out on a football pitch every week, though.
Reply 8
Original post by Mackay
Yeah he will be. Mad to think Adam Johnson is still out on a football pitch every week, though.

They can't really sack him, given he's not been proven guilty. If he was somehow found not guilty he could sue them or something. Could just not play him of course but I don't see why they shouldn't if he's the best choice for the position.
Never Rated the lad anyway tbf. At least tim won't try and buy him in the summer now haha
Reply 10
Original post by difeo
They can't really sack him, given he's not been proven guilty. If he was somehow found not guilty he could sue them or something. Could just not play him of course but I don't see why they shouldn't if he's the best choice for the position.

Could suspend him, of course. That's what I'm thinking. Unsure a man on a rape charge should be put in the public limelight every Saturday afternoon, and exposed on MOTD etc.

Imagine if he scores a goal keeping them up on the final day and he's plastered everywhere. Not exactly ideal for the 'victim' - who may or may not be a victim, and her family etc.
He might need help rather than an outright sacking.
Reply 12
Original post by ozzyoscy

Agreed. I was talking about Adam Johnson being sacked, not Livermore. I think he will be sacked regardless, though. We've seen it before with clubs.

I agree that Livermore will need help to overcome this drug 'addiction' of his, but I really do not see why he would not be sacked. He knew the consequences before he snorted the white stuff, so I feel it is only fair that he is sacked.

If you think about it, it is really stupid; he is a Premier League footballer who expects to get away with taking a Class A drug despite the numerous surprise drug tests football clubs run! With this stupid action, he has probably now ruined his career as I doubt any decent clubs will want him after this.
Original post by Mackay
Agreed. I was talking about Adam Johnson being sacked, not Livermore. I think he will be sacked regardless, though. We've seen it before with clubs.

I don't know how the Sunderland players can look Adam Nonceson in the eye, let-alone pass the ball to him or celebrate a goal with him.
Original post by difeo
Yeah, as things are it will be a big thing of course. I just mean the attitude to drugs in general though.

Yes let's legalise class A drugs then
Original post by Paul Krugman
I agree that Livermore will need help to overcome this drug 'addiction' of his, but I really do not see why he would not be sacked. He knew the consequences before he snorted the white stuff, so I feel it is only fair that he is sacked.

If you think about it, it is really stupid; he is a Premier League footballer who expects to get away with taking a Class A drug despite the numerous surprise drug tests football clubs run! With this stupid action, he has probably now ruined his career as I doubt any decent clubs will want him after this.

We don't know the reasoning for it. He may not have been taking cocaine for no reason or to spite anyone. He may even be majorly addicted, thus was prepared to risk it. Others risk far more just for one small ounce of drugs. Sacking him would solve nothing in that case, and it would be for the better of everyone if he were to be given help rather than cast aside.
We don't know the reasoning for it. He may not have been taking cocaine for no reason or to spite anyone. He may even be majorly addicted, thus was prepared to risk it. Others risk far more just for one small ounce of drugs. Sacking him would solve nothing in that case, and it would be for the better of everyone if he were to be given help rather than cast aside.

Yes, I agree on giving him help, but if he was "majorly addicted" that would be his own fault; you cannot get addicted to something you have never tried.

And I believe that sacking him would be the right thing to do, as it would both set an example and punish him for his mistake. Sacking him as well as helping him onto the road to recovery, of course.
Drugs are a mug's game
Original post by Paul Krugman
Yes, I agree on giving him help, but if he was "majorly addicted" that would be his own fault; you cannot get addicted to something you have never tried.

And I believe that sacking him would be the right thing to do, as it would both set an example and punish him for his mistake. Sacking him as well as helping him onto the road to recovery, of course.

There are many different ways people get addicted. These are all assumptions you're making when there are so many different avenues. It's not just people taking it at an adult age to be cool or experimental.

Sacking him gives him nothing to aim for, his chances of rehabilitation go down to nil. It also wouldn't deter other addicts, because they're addicted. They're not taking the drugs out of choice. It's more a mental illness.

As for punishing him for his mistakes, in this hypothetical situation where he's a long gone drug addict, he's already being punished.

I wouldn't expect many to want to lock up Clarke Carlisle and throw away the key, I don't see why anyone else in the same situation should be punished in that manner.

Quick Reply

Latest