The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImcalledKat
when did he tweet that????????
I tweeted him asking about his predictions cuz I was a bit confused about whether or not he thinks the psychodynamic approach will come up and he replied 'I'll do a video for it by this weekend, I need to re-look at my paper 2 predictions!'

https://twitter.com/SajDevshi/status/598504943457284097
Can someone explain whats in the sympathomedullary system please i don't get it. Is it made up of ANS, SNS, PNS and SAM? Or is it just SNS and SAM?
Original post by Amyjonesx
Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me the correct definitions of abnormality?? For example if it said "outline FFA/DSN/DIMH" my teacher has gave me really confusing definitions that dont seem to match what the internet says !

I think around page 90 - 95 someone gave perfect definitions of those :smile: and what they said is accurate to what i've learnt and whats online
Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me the correct definitions of abnormality?? For example if it said "outline FFA/DSN/DIMH" my teacher has gave me really confusing definitions that dont seem to match what the internet says !

Deviation from social norms
This is when an individual's behaviour breaks either implicit or explicit rules established within society. Implicit rules refer to unwritten rules of conduct that society has laid down, such as not sitting next to someone on the bus when there are plenty of seats available. Explicit rules are those of the law like murder or fraud and breaking the law is considered criminal. When either of these are broken, an individual is considered abnormal under this definition.

Deviation from ideal mental health
This is an alternative to the other definitions, and looks at what is considered to be ideal mental health and if an individual deviates from this, they are considered to be abnormal. Jahoda's set of criteria of what ideal mental health is includes features such as personal autonomy, environmental mastery and self actualisation of one's potential. For example, personal autonomy refers to the individual being self-sufficient and independent, and not relying on others during hard times.

Failure to function adequately
When an individual is unable to cope with everyday activities and life's daily demands, they are considered to be abnormal. This includes an inability to hold a job, unhealthy social relationships as well as no progression through careers.

Here, stole this from someones previous post
Original post by millseat
Can someone explain whats in the sympathomedullary system please i don't get it. Is it made up of ANS, SNS, PNS and SAM? Or is it just SNS and SAM?

Sympathomedullary pathway (SAM)

-stress percieved by hypothalamus which activates the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The SNS triggers the adrenal medulla which is part of the autonomic nervous system (ANS). The adrenal medulla releases adrenaline and noradrenaline into the bloodstream, which causes a fight or flight response.

Adrenaline causes changes in the body like increased heart rate,blood pressure, decrease in digestion.

Once the stress is over, the parasympathetic branch takes over and brings the body into a balanced state.
Anyone else planning to do all of unit 2 this weekend? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1886
Original post by studentwiz
Sympathomedullary pathway (SAM)

-stress percieved by hypothalamus which activates the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The SNS triggers the adrenal medulla which is part of the autonomic nervous system (ANS). The adrenal medulla releases adrenaline and noradrenaline into the bloodstream, which causes a fight or flight response.

Adrenaline causes changes in the body like increased heart rate,blood pressure, decrease in digestion.

Once the stress is over, the parasympathetic branch takes over and brings the body into a balanced state.

I thought the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system was responsible for the fight or flight response, because of the glucose thing?? Or have I been told wrong?
Original post by jnenp
I thought the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system was responsible for the fight or flight response, because of the glucose thing?? Or have I been told wrong?

no, fight or flight only happens during acute stress and this happens in SAM.

For HPA (chronic stress)
- the stress is perceived by the hypothalamus which releases (CRF). This triggers the pituitary gland which secretes (ACTH). ACTH stimulates the adrenal cortex which releases stress hormones called cortisol and corticosteroids into the bloodstream. Cortisol enables the body to maintain a steady supply of glucose.

Adequate sugar levels help a person cope with prolonged stressor and helps the body return to normal state.
Reply 1888
Does anyone have notes? quote me if you do!
Original post by Shamzy25
Anyone else planning to do all of unit 2 this weekend? XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

me! I'll be thinking 'at least im not the only one' as i struggle through
Original post by sabfloretina
me! I'll be thinking 'at least im not the only one' as i struggle through

Staring tomorrow morning lol :biggrin:
Quick question: for behavioural approach to abnormality ... Do we only mention classical conditioning, operant conditioning and social learning theory? Do I not need to include any studies....?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do I have to remember all Johada's 6 criteria for abnormality? I was thinking to remember 3 of them:s-smilie:
Original post by Shamzy25
Quick question: for behavioural approach to abnormality ... Do we only mention classical conditioning, operant conditioning and social learning theory? Do I not need to include any studies....?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can include the study by Little Albert to support classical and there is Mineka et Al to support the SLT
Original post by Nicobella12
You can include the study by Little Albert to support classical and there is Mineka et Al to support the SLT

If you're not confident with your explanations then I'd say to include a case study to ensure the marks, but personally I'm not as I haven't learnt any studies
for psychological therapies do I need to learn each specific for each approach in details who do I learn it in general
could someone please outline what i need to know for social influence e.g. topic headings, key studies etc? my teacher's absolutely crap and we only finished the unit last friday and I'm incredibly confused, all my notes are totally useless! majorly stressing (ay lmao) :frown: thanks
Does anybody know where it is relevant to mention the snowball effect and social cryptoamnesia? I know its to do with social change but not sure as to which 12 markers!
Hi can you guys please give me some AO2 point for explanations to "conformity" please?
Does anybody know where it is relevant to mention the snowball effect and social cryptoamnesia? I know its to do with social change but not sure as to which 12 markers!

The Question would most likely say "Discuss how social influence research helps us to understand social change" or "Discuss the role of minority influence in social change"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending