The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beni24
To anyone who's applied for the NHS Bursary, did you do your NHS bursary first(sending evidence for them etc) or student finance first? I'm thinking of sending of my evidence for student bursary first because student finance are asking for me to send them evidence of my NHS bursary certificate with my other evidence. However I wont received my NHS bursary certificate until i've given them all the required documents and they've assessed it. So do you guys think it'll be more wiser to send off evidence to NHS bursary first? :smile:

definitely wiser to send off the bursary first, weridly sfw stopped waiting for my nhs bursary proof and i got sent a notification letter without giving them any evidence
Reply 2061
Original post by Beni24
To anyone who has applied for their NHS bursary, can you help me out please?

I was asked to send evidence regarding my NHS Bursary, and it states that they want me to provide evidence of my residency for the last 3 year period.

'If you have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom throughout the three years preceding the prescribed date (the first day of the first academic year), please provide evidence of this residency for the three year period. For example, Council Tax Bill, Utility Bill, Tenancy Agreement, etc'

Does anyone know whether they want me to send a utility bill for each of the 3 years period that I have been resident in the UK. Also council tax bills and utility bills are all in my parents name, is this fine?

Hi Hun, I was asked to send the same but for my mum as I'm applying as a dependant on her. I just sent one or two each from each year. Are you independent or dependant on your parents?
Original post by claireestelle
definitely wiser to send off the bursary first, weridly sfw stopped waiting for my nhs bursary proof and i got sent a notification letter without giving them any evidence

Thank you! :smile: I'll give Student finance a ring tomorrow to clarify whether they actually do need nhs bursary proof or not because on my account it says that I need to. Do you know if student finance have a deadline of sending evidence? :smile:
Original post by Beni24
Thank you! :smile: I'll give Student finance a ring tomorrow to clarify whether they actually do need nhs bursary proof or not because on my account it says that I need to. Do you know if student finance have a deadline of sending evidence? :smile:

i think the welsh deadline is different to englands so i couldnt tell you:/
nhs bursaries deadline is august though so no need to worry with that one:smile:
Whats the best volunteering to do that will look good on a personal statement? & I only have work experince in a school and nursery. I want to do Adult Nursing.
Original post by iknowyouknow
Whats the best volunteering to do that will look good on a personal statement? & I only have work experince in a school and nursery. I want to do Adult Nursing.

Maybe a care home or hospital placement:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A care home is always good, because they say it is one of the most challenging also an elderly day centre or a support group for adults with disabilities/behavioural difficulties

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, how did you find the placements? did you have to work 12 hour shifts for 3 days straight
Also I've been told we get £3 something an hour for shifts while on placements is that true?
Original post by Starship03
Hi, how did you find the placements? did you have to work 12 hour shifts for 3 days straight
Also I've been told we get £3 something an hour for shifts while on placements is that true?

You don't get paid for placements. Your shifts will depend on the placement and your mentor, some placements will be 9-5 and some areas will prefer you to do 7.5 hour shifts too.
Original post by Soph.Jade
You don't get paid for placements. Your shifts will depend on the placement and your mentor, some placements will be 9-5 and some areas will prefer you to do 7.5 hour shifts too.

Thank you, I keep getting conflicting information.
I want to study child nursing in Kent.
Just concerned over hours and bursaries as I have a children.
Original post by Starship03
Thank you, I keep getting conflicting information.
I want to study child nursing in Kent.
Just concerned over hours and bursaries as I have a children.

The shift pattern will depend upon the placement. You will be expected to work a mix of shifts, including some nights. You need to do 37.5 hours a week. Some placements will be more flexible with shifts than others.

They will take your children into account when deciding the bursary you receive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
The shift pattern will depend upon the placement. You will be expected to work a mix of shifts, including some nights. You need to do 37.5 hours a week. Some placements will be more flexible with shifts than others.

They will take your children into account when deciding the bursary you receive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ;-0
Anyone starting their course in January or March?

I've got an offer for MH nursing from DMU for January 2016, but can't put that into my bursary application. Can I not apply yet?

My insurance is Staffordshire in September. Should I apply for that course, just in case?
There is a calendar on the NHS Bursary page that tells you when to apply for finance. At present, you cannot apply for January or March intake, as its too early.

Original post by MolluscBaby
Anyone starting their course in January or March?

I've got an offer for MH nursing from DMU for January 2016, but can't put that into my bursary application. Can I not apply yet?

My insurance is Staffordshire in September. Should I apply for that course, just in case?
Original post by Trapped
There is a calendar on the NHS Bursary page that tells you when to apply for finance. At present, you cannot apply for January or March intake, as its too early.

Ah okay... So do you think I should apply for September, since that's when my insurance starts?
regarding student finance if you are a student coming straight from a-levels do you just apply for the nhs bursary and then the maintenance loan on student finance england?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kregan1
regarding student finance if you are a student coming straight from a-levels do you just apply for the nhs bursary and then the maintenance loan on student finance england?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! Or at least I hope so because I have. I would sort out student finance first though because the deadline is soon (31st of May). Hope this helps! x
If anyone wants any advice on Adult Nursing (in particular at City University London), feel free to message me!

Good luck! It's the best decision I ever made studying nursing :smile:
Original post by Sophi12
Hiya
I only had experience volunteering at a special needs school and at a primary school which most unis are fine with as its hard to get hospital experience :/

I had good gcses, as politics and a-levels in business,economics and psychology.

The interview questions vary from uni to uni but usually include why do you want to do the course?, how do you deal with stress? Etc.

My course is mixed ages ranging from 18 to 38 with a nice mix between so you learn from everyones varied life experiences :smile:

Im at Plymouth and as we cover the south west peninsula, we were given 4 area preferences so you can ask for an area to some extent, but i don't know what other unis do.

The work load is bigger compared to other courses as its usually 9-4/5 5 days a week during theory then 37.5 hours on placement a week during placements, so it can be stressful and definitely needs commitment :smile:

Universities provide a branded university uniform for placement which makes it clear to patients and other staff that you are a student nurse, the amount you receive free of charge again varies uni to uni, with most giving you 3 tunics and 3 pairs of trousers. You do have to buy your own shoes but i wouldn't buy them until you're at uni as different universities have different policies on this (e.g my uni wont allow you to wear crocs, trainers or pumps, and your shoes must be leather and black).

Hope i've helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, I know you posted this a while ago, but I noticed you study nursing at plymouth university. I have a interview for child nursing at Plymouth this week, and was wondering if you could help me regarding what sort of questions were asked and what I should be expecting?

Many thanks in advance for any help :smile:
I would appreciate it if someone would confirm that Student loans cannot help with any funding for a PgDip Adult Nursing application? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending