The Student Room Group

Edexcel geog unit 2 crowded coasts and rebranding

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I wrote about hard and soft engineering for the 10 marker. Was it asking for hard and soft or was it asking for 'hold the line' / 'do nothing' / 'advance the line' etc?
Original post by Chloe.17
What did people write about for two contrasting coastal defences??

Groynes and managed retreat (I put retreat the line lool) , I didn't really compare and contrast until the end...
Original post by thelizzister
Posted from TSR Mobile

It shouldn't matter if u didnt cross the boxes, they'l be able to figure it out

That aside what did people mention on the first 10marker to do with competition causing pressure...

Pollution in the water from tourists and fishing

Pollution of caravan park situated in the internationally important habitat e.g. noise, litter and light pollution which could have adverse effects on behaviours of species and cause destruction of habitat

Destruction of sand dunes/salt marshes destroyed by human development and erosion will lead to flooding of farmland (was supposed to say how flooding will lead to farmland being unusable due to high salinity)

Not sure whether the question was effect on environment or not.....
Original post by OL350
I wrote about hard and soft engineering for the 10 marker. Was it asking for hard and soft or was it asking for 'hold the line' / 'do nothing' / 'advance the line' etc?

Aren't soft and hard management strategies not coastal defences i.e. groynes etc........
Original post by Chloe.17
Oh my gosh really??! Hopefully I'll have managed to get some marks then! I hate this exam

well in my cgp book it puts coastal realignment aka managed retreat as a soft engineering defense :smile:
I just realised I used two hard engineering strategies for the contrasting defences question, how much do you think i will be penalised?
Reply 106
I've already forgotten what the questions were but I think I nailed the research and fieldwork/results conclusion ones, they were great. Everything else I will be happy if I get 5/10

Let's say I got 15 and 15 that's 30 plus 5 from the four ten markers.... That's already 50 marks! And an A is 48 so even if I haven't got full marks for the 15 marker I should be okay?

I'm just clutching straws for a B really.

The one about Coastal defences I wrote about sea wall in port Dickson Malaysia and mappleton groynes then completely crossed mappleton out and wrote about a sentence on sand dunes in Kenfig after I noticed it said CONTRASTING... Horrific considering I referred to Kenfig in 2a, b and c :l I read somewhere examiners hate that or think you lack knowledge I had so may others I could have used so I don't know how that happened :frown:
Reply 107
What did you guys put for coastal pressures? I think I may have done it wrong, based my fieldwork and research around evidence for coastal erosion and development problems.
Reply 108
Original post by ridwan12
Aren't soft and hard management strategies not coastal defences i.e. groynes etc........

What do you mean?
Reply 109

I obviously talked about the different types e.g sea wall/beach re profiling etc.
Original post by qwerty123A
I just realised I used two hard engineering strategies for the contrasting defences question, how much do you think i will be penalised?

^would the examiner allow me off like half the marks like 5/10? because my examples were hold the line and advance the line (i used 2 examples for hold the line and 1 for advance), i misinterpreted the 'contrasting' aspect. Or would I just get a complete 0/10

please someone??
Original post by OL350
I obviously talked about the different types e.g sea wall/beach re profiling etc.

Yh same but i'm worrying that my example of abbots hall farm and managed retreat won't count as a "defence"........
Original post by qwerty123A
^would the examiner allow me off like half the marks like 5/10? because my examples were hold the line and advance the line (i used 2 examples for hold the line and 1 for advance), i misinterpreted the 'contrasting' aspect. Or would I just get a complete 0/10

please someone??

probably be capped at level 1 (1-4 marks) or levels 2 (5-7) but you wont get zero........
Reply 113
probably be capped at level 1 (1-4 marks) or levels 2 (5-7) but you wont get zero........

What was the original mistake you made? You didn't talk about had/soft strategies?
Original post by OL350
What was the original mistake you made? You didn't talk about had/soft strategies?

qwerty123A- made the mistake of not using two contrasting defenses

My mistake, I think is that I used managed retreat rather than beach nourishment for example as managed retreat isn't really a "defense" but rather a strategy.
Reply 115

Pollution in the water from tourists and fishing

Pollution of caravan park situated in the internationally important habitat e.g. noise, litter and light pollution which could have adverse effects on behaviours of species and cause destruction of habitat

Destruction of sand dunes/salt marshes destroyed by human development and erosion will lead to flooding of farmland (was supposed to say how flooding will lead to farmland being unusable due to high salinity)

Not sure whether the question was effect on environment or not.....

Tbh i found this exam easier than all previous exams the 15 markers were just fantastic only question i really struggled on was the coastal defences as i had 1 really good developed point but the other i had to bs all the way but for the crowded coast figure response i think my answer is really good tell me if you agree

community on the coasts can expand and a community can become bigger so this will put pressure as it will require morespace and there was a tree place somewhere in the figure so you could say that it could lead to deforestation to expand i think its a quality point worth of a top mark do you agree

Exam wasnt that bad
Reply 116
Also i cant belive some of you lot are doing this paper being so ill prepares, half of you dont even know what he pressure are on the coast it is basically the same question on a previous past paper which was human pressures you talk about and use questionnaires photographs etc it isnt that hard
Original post by K3lvin
Tbh i found this exam easier than all previous exams the 15 markers were just fantastic only question i really struggled on was the coastal defences as i had 1 really good developed point but the other i had to bs all the way but for the crowded coast figure response i think my answer is really good tell me if you agree

community on the coasts can expand and a community can become bigger so this will put pressure as it will require morespace and there was a tree place somewhere in the figure so you could say that it could lead to deforestation to expand i think its a quality point worth of a top mark do you agree

Exam wasnt that bad

15 markers were open ended so I liked it. Coastal defences everybody struggled on.

Yh that works as long as you kept refering back to the environment.

Everybody hates unit 2.
Reply 118
Original post by Conor3
Does anyone reckon I'll be okay if I wrote about two contrasting hard engineering strategies?

I did Mappleton's rock groynes and the positives and negatives (cost, effectiveness, long-lasting etc.) and Withernsea's recurved sea wall with the same sort of development.

Didn't the question ask to comment on the success?
Reply 119
Original post by c222
Didn't the question ask to comment on the success?

So many people did not read this question it said comment on the success yes SUCCESS that was the important element which many people will lose marks i would of expected gb to be high but because many people struggled and the gb are low as it already is then it will most likely go down tbh but it was by far the easiest paper there has been

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending