The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JgR1997
Can someone help, the lines we had to draw on the maps? At first i put a long line from both, then realised, 0.5 mm equals 1 person so rubbed it out and done what i believed was the correct length, was that right?

Isn't the measurement the width?
Reply 481
Original post by JgR1997
hmm I'm confused, did we have to do a line from the locations to Manchester and Birmingham the same for both, but the width of the line larger to indicate more people going? I think i done it wrong

That's right, you're not wrong.
Original post by JgR1997
hmm I'm confused, did we have to do a line from the locations to Manchester and Birmingham the same for both, but the width of the line larger to indicate more people going? I think i done it wrong

I did a 2mm line to Birmingham and a 1mm line to Manchester on separate maps.
Original post by Blosss
That's right, you're not wrong.

no i done it wrong haha, i done a line 1cm long and the other 2cm long which didn't go straight to the location but pointed in the direction
Was Birmingham the one for the left map?
Reply 485
Hey guys,

I wrote velocity is measured in m/s2 instead of m/s, will i not get any marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 486
Original post by JgR1997
no i done it wrong haha, i done a line 1cm long and the other 2cm long which didn't go straight to the location but pointed in the direction

Ohhh
Reply 487
Original post by Mxrph
Hey guys,

I wrote velocity is measured in m/s2 instead of m/s, will i not get any marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it won't matter too much :tongue:
Reply 488
Original post by Blosss
I think it won't matter too much :tongue:

Really worried now cause i think i did well! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Swear it's out of 50

Posted from TSR Mobile

60 = UMS
I probably would've got 1 mark if i had left the lines as they were, but i looked back and had about 30 seconds, didn't look at it properly and meant i got 0 marks
Reply 491
I thought both papers were great. How did everyone else find them?
Original post by Tommy 97
Bit gutted seemed to have messed up the last question a little. As a querry would i be able to get any marks/ possibly access level two with this information?

Explain using spear mans rank for increase in velocity downstream and increase in hydraulic radius. Explain why we would expect it (brief explanation) Strong correlation (with data from field study). Significant to 0.01, 1 % happening by chance. Reject null hypothesis, help us to accept our hypothesis although not confirm (Was on Bradshaw model, so only one part of it). Obviously explained in more detail in exam, but would that be a correct answer or as I didn't explain how we worked it out would it not count for much? Many thanks

Edit: I may have (not definite) made reference to spearmans rank being a good thing because it gives us the ability to do that, or words to that effect.

Don't see why level 2 wouldn't be accessed here. I would give it 6 or 7 / 8
Is anyone willing to predict an accurate as possible grade boundaries for this paper?
Original post by Ana-ana
For the quantitative and qualitative question I said that that qualitative doesn't have numbers and my example was an OS map to investigate the characteristics of the river. For the quantitative I said that it includes numbers and my example measuring river velocity which increased by 2.5 m/s. Is this right?

I think the Definintions of quantitive and qualitative haven't been distinguished. For example, "qualitative data is useful as allows for opinions and views to be expressed and is thus very subjective. For example in my investigation I passed judgment on the land use of my differing transects which required my personal view and is therefore more subjective" then compare to quantative. I'm not too sure though 😁
Reply 495
Original post by JgR1997
Is anyone willing to predict an accurate as possible grade boundaries for this paper?

33/34 - A
29/28 - B
23/22- C

Just a rough estimate
Hold up! For the last question I talked about cross sectional graphs and said things that it allows easy comparison and to see if any of the factors of a rovers effect the velocity. I didn't put my data in because it didn't explicitly say it but I said that from doing those t showed us that ours didn't support the Bradshaw model. I'm worried I haven't done this right?!
Original post by JgR1997

I spoke to my teacher who is head of geog in my school. He said that it was similar to the Jan 2013 paper.
He said (roughly)
A - 37
B - 34
C - 31
D - 26
E - 24

These seem really high though but hoping they come down a bit 😭
Original post by harishkohli
Don't see why level 2 wouldn't be accessed here. I would give it 6 or 7 / 8

I kinda messed up the last question too, as I was running out of time. I was describing Spearman's Rank quite well I think, but then I didn't have time to put down any advantages and I ended by talking about how I got 0.61 as the R value. Will this mean that I'll only be able to get 6 maximum marks out of 8?
Original post by Blosss
33/34 - A
29/28 - B
23/22- C

Just a rough estimate

Thank you, the last question about analyzing data, is standard deviation an appropriate way to analyze data? I think I've seen it before as an exemplar but unsure because other people are saying different things, eg correlation and spearman's rank

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending