The Student Room Group

Really struggling with M1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by samb1234
OK before I give you the full solution I'll try and lead you through it as it will be more useful than me just telling you how to do it. What have you done on the last question so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I said let the position vector of the Lighthouse be (xi + yj)
then I plugged in 1 in the equation in the previous part and made it equal to x

then I plugged in 1.5 to the equation in the previous part and made the i vector equal to -1 and the j vector equal to 1.?
Original post by frozo123
So I said let the position vector of the Lighthouse be (xi + yj)
then I plugged in 1 in the equation in the previous part and made it equal to x

then I plugged in 1.5 to the equation in the previous part and made the i vector equal to -1 and the j vector equal to 1.?

Try doing this. Firstly work out the position vector of the boat at both t =1 and t =1.5. As the lighthouse is directly west at 10 am, what can you deduce about the J component of the lighthouses position vector?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Try doing this. Firstly work out the position vector of the boat at both t =1 and t =1.5. As the lighthouse is directly west at 10 am, what can you deduce about the J component of the lighthouses position vector?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the J component of the lighthouse is 0?
the J component of the lighthouse is 0?

Correct. Now if I move south west, the distance I move down is the distance I move west. Can you work it out from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Correct. Now if I move south west, the distance I move down is the distance I move west. Can you work it out from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes but if you gave me another question and it wasn't the same format I wouldn't be able to do it :frown:
yes but if you gave me another question and it wasn't the same format I wouldn't be able to do it :frown:

Its exactly the same principle every time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Its exactly the same principle every time

Posted from TSR Mobile

the questions are always different, for example when Ship A is moving (2i-3j) of Ship B? you wouldn't use that method would you?
the questions are always different, for example when Ship A is moving (2i-3j) of Ship B? you wouldn't use that method would you?

There is some variation but they are all essentially using the same prinicples

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
There is some variation but they are all essentially using the same prinicples

Posted from TSR Mobile

may you give me some instructions on what to learn please?
may you give me some instructions on what to learn please?

I mean in maths you can't really 'revise' as such. I would recommend that you look back at the vectors chapter in the textbook and between that and past papers just do as many questions as you can. The more you practice, the easier questions will get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending