The Student Room Group

Some guy at REALLY offended me today.

A male friend at work said (as a joke - which I didn't find particularly funny in itself) to another male colleague "Do you want to buy [insert my name here] for fifty quid?"

The other guy responded "Honestly, I think I could do better"

Male friend (still joking): "fourty....thirty....twenty....ten?"

Other guy: "Yeah, alright, for a tenner I will" -_-

I suppose I just feel really down about it. It's difficult to get across the tone of how it was said so maybe it won't come across the same way in writing. Anyways, I got very upset and had to hide in a toilet cubicle later on because I was still thinking about it and could feel myself tearing up and didn't want to start crying in front of people.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting about it. Could just do with a bit of advice I suppose. I really hope no one from my work uses this forum...

Scroll to see replies

Some utter (lack of) class from those morons. They think you're a commodity. No, you're a human being. You should be treated like one.
What a twattish joke, I am sure they do not mean anything by it! Although I can sympathise with you, just make a jibe at them next time, maybe it will make you feel better!
Oh wow that's rather callous of them, but they were being very immature, did they know you heard what was being said about you?
Your colleagues are either run-of-the-mill jerks, or fantastically poor-witted.

If you do feel personally affected, and such lewd remarks continue, do lodge a complaint with your manager. You have every right to be taken seriously.
Reply 5
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
Oh wow that's rather callous of them, but they were being very immature, did they know you heard what was being said about you?

YES, it was said right in front of me. I know my friend was only joking. Granted, it wasn't the best joke but I know he didn't mean anything by it and he obviously assumed that I would find it funny too. It was the cheek of the other guy's response that annoyed me. He wasn't even bothered by the fact that I was stood right there.
Original post by Anonymous
YES, it was said right in front of me. I know my friend was only joking. Granted, it wasn't the best joke but I know he didn't mean anything by it and he obviously assumed that I would find it funny too. It was the cheek of the other guy's response that annoyed me. He wasn't even bothered by the fact that I was stood right there.

They were most likely teasing you in a flirty way?

You should have stood up for yourself insult him back and let him taste his own medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
That's bloody rude that is... I don't really know how to say this without it seeming patronising but.. you just have to rise above it and accept that they're just ****s. Sorry I know that doesn't really seem that helpful but know that it wasn't funny or clever and you're obviously worth more than whatever they were saying... you're a human being.:smile:
They're just idiots.

"How about I give you a tenner to **** off"
A male friend at work said (as a joke - which I didn't find particularly funny in itself) to another male colleague "Do you want to buy [insert my name here] for fifty quid?"

I suppose I just feel really down about it. It's difficult to get across the tone of how it was said so maybe it won't come across the same way in writing. Anyways, I got very upset and had to hide in a toilet cubicle later on because I was still thinking about it and could feel myself tearing up and didn't want to start crying in front of people.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting about it. Could just do with a bit of advice I suppose. I really hope no one from my work uses this forum...

That's actually a really ****ty joke, no matter how you look at it. It's a **** joke (not funny) + it was at the expense of a friend (i.e. you) + they clearly have no respect for other people's feelings and no class or manners. Ew.

Sorry you experienced that, chin up hun. Don't allow them to get the better of you. Let them know you won't stand for their disrespectful BS and they owe you an apology at the very least. Imagine you'd joked about one of them that way - don't think they would have liked it either. Having a sense of humour doesn't mean stamping all over people's feelings/verbal abuse. Especially in a workplace.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
They're just idiots.

"How about I give you a tenner to **** off"

Haha, I soo wish I'd thought of that!
Original post by godivaontherocks
That's actually a really ****ty joke, no matter how you look at it. It's a **** joke (not funny) + it was at the expense of a friend (i.e. you) + they clearly have no respect for other people's feelings and no class or manners. Ew.

Sorry you experienced that, chin up hun. Don't allow them to get the better of you. Let them know you won't stand for their disrespectful BS and they owe you an apology at the very least. Imagine you'd joked about one of them that way - don't think they would have liked it either. Having a sense of humour doesn't mean stamping all over people's feelings/verbal abuse. Especially in a workplace.

Thanks for your advice.
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
They were most likely teasing you in a flirty way?

You should have stood up for yourself insult him back and let him taste his own medicine.

Sorry, I missed this.

I don't think it was meant in a flirty way at all.

I know I should have said something but I was so annoyed at the time that I couldn't actually think of anything to say back.
They're morons end of. You're a human being, definitely not an object. They are idiots of the highest class, simple. Forget what they said.
Are you ugly? If not, it was just a joke!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take this to your line manager. Not cool. This is all kinds of wrong. Would be wrong for women to do this to a man too. This isn't professional conduct.

Is it because they only think you're worth 10? :console:
people need to lighten up and not take things to seriously
Original post by StyleIcon
Are you ugly? If not, it was just a joke!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol what if she is? Not really going to make her feel any better about herself :lol:.

Op, they're obviously very stupid. But since they're your friends, they definitely didn't mean it in a flirty way to wind you up?

It sounds like you should talk to them about it or you'll just hate them for it.

You should have told them they would never have been able to afford you :wink:.
Reply 19

So, firstly they sound like completely immature offensive idiots, then add that this type of insulting behaviour is completely inappropriate in the workplace. Without knowing the run up to this and where you work it's difficult to advise. But as a minimum I wouldn't worry about it and would treat them with complete contempt.

Latest

Trending

Trending