The Student Room Group

Would my grades be good enough for Imperial/UCL/Bath uni?

so I'm still doing my GCSEs but here's what ill probably get:
igcse english language - a
maths (did it in year 8) - A
statistics (year 10) - A
Freestanding maths(some level 3 exam i did in year 8) - B
foundations of ^, - A
Additional science - B/A
Core Science - B/A
Geography -B
Computer Science - A/A*
english language- B
english literature - B - maybe an A if im lucky
Spanish - C/B
Electronics - C/B
Further maths - A*/A**

So overall at the end of year 11 ill have the minimum of:
1A*, 5As, 6Bs and 2Cs

Or.... the maximum of :
1 A**, 1A*, 7As , 4Bs - thought I highly doubt I'll get higher than a C in spanish (had the exam today and the listening made me want to shoot myself) and electronics (teacher hasn't even gone through half the course yet and the exams on tuesday - rushing some revision on my own ._. - got an A on my coursework though ;D)

A Levels I should be okay, I've already achieved an A at AS maths(c1 c2 & fp1) .. and with doing
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Computing
They all have some form of maths.. well.. all of them do. I should hopefully get 4 As at AS and 3 As at A2.. or AAB/ABB

Just another consideration before you comment: I go to a (in my opinion) crappy school that focuses on technology (yet everything in the technology department is complete ****).. the average grade is a C and the average grades at a level are like C C D or something
Spanish Man I know that feeling :frown: tbh the first grades you listed are fine but UCL needs at least a C in a language.

Just make sure you do well in A levels and make sure you have a good CV(extra curricular,workn experience),Interview
Reply 2
Those grades are fine. Just make sure you get at least a B/C in maths and english language, as pretty much all units require this. They care much more about A Levels, though it does depend what you want to do...
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98
Spanish Man I know that feeling :frown: tbh the first grades you listed are fine but UCL needs at least a C in a language.

Just make sure you do well in A levels and make sure you have a good CV(extra curricular,workn experience),Interview

;D thank you!, I'm pretty sure I got a C in spanish, I got a C in my speaking, A* in writing(isnt hard tbh because its just words and i had like 6 words with accents lmao), I'm sure I got at least a B in the reading (I didn't realise there were questions on the back side of the back page so I lost 2 easy marks), and the listening I probably got a D tbh... so hopefully I got a C overall
Reply 4
Original post by A*da*m
Those grades are fine. Just make sure you get at least a B/C in maths and english language, as pretty much all units require this. They care much more about A Levels, though it does depend what you want to do...

I'd probably want to do a course with computing and maths - maths or computing on their own are so bland and boring, in my opinion at least ;D
Wow, an A at GCSE maths in year 8, impressive.
Reply 6
Original post by HarunH1
I'd probably want to do a course with computing and maths - maths or computing on their own are so bland and boring, in my opinion at least ;D

Fair enough. Yeah like I said your grades will probably be fine, your a level grades and personal statement and recommendations will be more important to the universities, but do bare in mind that all maths courses (well ALL courses really) at London units will be highly competitive because of the high foreign interest.
Those universities do have websites, you know.
Yes, those grades are much better than the requirements. Bath and Imperial generally require Cs in English and maths and UCL also requires a C in a language.

I think you meant AS pure maths rather than AS maths. Self studying AS pure maths in year 10 is pretty good.

Your predicted A-level grades aren't so good though. It depends on which course you apply for but for example the requirement for maths at Bath is A*AA.
Original post by crozibear96
Those universities do have websites, you know.

websites are illegal
Reply 10
The fact that you go to a what sounds like a less well achieving school could not be better for you. The top universities will give you lower offers if you go to a less well achieving school or if you're well above your school's average grades so it's looking pretty good for you. Congrats on already getting As in some of the maths a level modules, that's amazing considering you must have done it in year ten..?
Original post by HarunH1
;D thank you!, I'm pretty sure I got a C in spanish, I got a C in my speaking, A* in writing(isnt hard tbh because its just words and i had like 6 words with accents lmao), I'm sure I got at least a B in the reading (I didn't realise there were questions on the back side of the back page so I lost 2 easy marks), and the listening I probably got a D tbh... so hopefully I got a C overall

The reading exam... I guessed both 8mark questions
Maybe nit imperial but the other two, definitely
Reply 13
the one about the care home I got the one about relatives wrong ._. ... and in the listening the one about the jobs I put an environmentalist rather than a shop assistant lmao
Reply 14
Original post by A*da*m
The fact that you go to a what sounds like a less well achieving school could not be better for you. The top universities will give you lower offers if you go to a less well achieving school or if you're well above your school's average grades so it's looking pretty good for you. Congrats on already getting As in some of the maths a level modules, that's amazing considering you must have done it in year ten..?

I did gcse in year 8 (nov 2012), freestand maths + the foundations of it in april 2013 (year 8), c1 and c2 in year 9 and fp1 and statistics in year 10 ;D

Quick Reply

Latest