The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neruallauren
I am! How are you feeling about it?

Do you have any additional resources on information about obstacles to public health?
Reply 61
Anyone doing Britain: representation and reform (1830-85)?
Original post by Amanysky
Do you have any additional resources on information about obstacles to public health?

I don't sorry! I only have the stuff that's in my textbook!
Reply 63
How is everyone revising for this paper? I think I'll just write up a few 40 markers which cover most of the content, then that way I should be prepared for any question that comes up.

I'm more or less ready for the 20 marker, it's just the 40 marker I need to work on more with refining my knowledge. I'm quite comfortable with integrating sources in my essays, I just need to go over the content more and make sure I've remembered it properly.
Someone please tell me how to answer use the sources for Part B?
Original post by The.Joker
How is everyone revising for this paper? I think I'll just write up a few 40 markers which cover most of the content, then that way I should be prepared for any question that comes up.

I'm more or less ready for the 20 marker, it's just the 40 marker I need to work on more with refining my knowledge. I'm quite comfortable with integrating sources in my essays, I just need to go over the content more and make sure I've remembered it properly.

To save time, I prefer to annotate the sources and the primary attribution for 40 markers which will consolidate your extraction skills. I then for each question give 6 different points of own knowledge relating to the source, for each one of the 5 paragraphs I will do, the extra being a reserve.

20 markers are now okay, although I find them trickier than the 40 markers. Just have to see whether Edexcel's examiners are humans with sympathetic emotions that they provide us with a fair set of sources and questions, unlike Unit 1 which they attempted to use as a weapon to tear us apart LOL.

Regards - Gunnarsunn.
Original post by jadejadeshade
Someone please tell me how to answer use the sources for Part B?

Well I'm doing the Changing Role of Women's question, I basically stick to:

- 3 Paragraphs arguing for my side
- 2 Paragraphs that act as the counter view.

However, stick to a PEEL structure. Point, Evidence, Explanation and Link. Ensure each are clear and that the evidence from the sources are relevant. Attempt to cross-reference the sources where applicable. Include your own knowledge which supports the evidence that you used in our point.

It's relatively simple, just an extended version of a 20 markers plus own knowledge. There doesn't tend to be one, profound and clear structure due to the varying nature of sources and candidate interpretations of them.

Regards - Gunnarsunn.
Reply 67
Original post by Gunnarsunn
In terms of content it's much easier than Unit 1. Although there is a lot of pressure in terms of structuring an answer, due to the varying nature of sources.

In terms of revision I made notes using the source textbook and memorised key individuals and so on and so forth. I also printed off past papers and annotated the sources and attributions for A and B questions.

I do hope it is an easier exam this year considering its the last. But seeing from what they did with the Unit 1 question I doubt it will be easy.

Regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally have to do well on this to make up for my mess up on the first exam but hopefully goes well.
You seem like you know what you're doing so don't worry and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Aqsxo
I literally have to do well on this to make up for my mess up on the first exam but hopefully goes well.
You seem like you know what you're doing so don't worry and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get two high C's that can make a B, or one Mid or low B with a high C can also produce a B grade.

I hate Edexcel, but then I remember that I could have got OCR as an examination body which would have been apocalyptic in allowing me to pursue Higher Academia!

Regards - Gunnarsunn - You'll do well you never know what may happen.
I'm doing experience of warfare

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by bazinga_punk
I'm doing experience of warfare

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here, i've just started learning ww1 :'(
My teacher predicted the russia questions correctly, amd she thinks wolsey could come Up!

Original post by lilohrisl
Hey guys
Anyone doing Early British History - henry viii?
How do you feel about that? Confident or not? Is there some sort of pattern and can we have some predictions?
I really hope the early period sort of Anne Boleyn or the later dissolution of the monasteries comes up x
Hey,

In a 40 marker there is always a primary or principle source. In order to get top marks for the sources criteria (Out of 16) YOU MUST weight up the usefulness of the primary source's provenance and how it is directly
Correlated to the question.

Regards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, you talk about the provenance for the 20 mark question, that is part of the AO2a - as per mentioned in the criteria - "Sources are used as evidence with some consideration of their attributes, suchas the nature, origins, purpose or audience..."

In the 40 Marker, not only does it not mention the nature, origin and purpose, but in several examiner reports, there are numerous mentions concerning candidates evaluate the nature, origin and provenance. Yes, one should be aware of it but unlike the 20 Marker, you do not need to write about it. Here:

June 2014 (Option D) report: "Candidates would do well to develop their arguments in relationto the question, rather than write whole paragraphs on provenance which can earn no creditunder AO2b."

June 2013 (Option D) report: "Whilst it may be relevant to use the provenance of the contemporary source(s) to judgethe weight that can be assigned to the argument, there is no such requirement forthe secondary sources and it is not rewarded in A02b. Many candidates still engage ingeneralised comments that a particular historian is or is not reliable at the expense ofdeveloping argument and analysis tested by specific own knowledge."
Original post by jabire3
Mate, you talk about the provenance for the 20 mark question, that is part of the AO2a - as per mentioned in the criteria - "Sources are used as evidence with some consideration of their attributes, suchas the nature, origins, purpose or audience..."

In the 40 Marker, not only does it not mention the nature, origin and purpose, but in several examiner reports, there are numerous mentions concerning candidates evaluate the nature, origin and provenance. Yes, one should be aware of it but unlike the 20 Marker, you do not need to write about it. Here:

June 2014 (Option D) report: "Candidates would do well to develop their arguments in relationto the question, rather than write whole paragraphs on provenance which can earn no creditunder AO2b."

June 2013 (Option D) report: "Whilst it may be relevant to use the provenance of the contemporary source(s) to judgethe weight that can be assigned to the argument, there is no such requirement forthe secondary sources and it is not rewarded in A02b. Many candidates still engage ingeneralised comments that a particular historian is or is not reliable at the expense ofdeveloping argument and analysis tested by specific own knowledge."

What you seem to be missing out is that in nearly all the 40 markers and in every one I have done there is always a source which is indicated to be the 'PRIMARY SOURCE' one source which includes a valid attribution which one ca then evaluate and weigh up in terms of its usefulness to the question.

There is most often then not one primary source for 40 marker questions which MUST be weighed up. You don't weigh them all up as you would in a 20 marker which you seem to be getting wrong, there's usually one valid primary source which you must weigh up.

Please do read and then re-read in order to understand what I am saying, you seem to be muddled up. Go through the past papers for a 40 marker and check the provenances there usually is, the majority of the time a primary source.

Regards.
What you seem to be missing out is that in nearly all the 40 markers and in every one I have done there is always a source which is indicated to be the 'PRIMARY SOURCE' one source which includes a valid attribution which one ca then evaluate and weigh up in terms of its usefulness to the question. There is most often then not one primary source for 40 marker questions which MUST be weighed up. You don't weigh them all up as you would in a 20 marker which you seem to be getting wrong, there's usually one valid primary source which you must weigh up. Please do read and then re-read in order to understand what I am saying, you seem to be muddled up. Go through the past papers for a 40 marker and check the provenances there usually is, the majority of the time a primary source.Regards.

Fair enough... I'll bear that in mind. Yes, there is often is a primary source, it doesn't give much information about it (in comparison to the twenty mark question) but you can tell it is primary nonetheless.
Original post by jabire3
Fair enough... I'll bear that in mind. Yes, there is often is a primary source, it doesn't give much information about it (in comparison to the twenty mark question) but you can tell it is primary nonetheless.

It contains enough information which is valid to weigh it up as a useful source. I suggest you ask your teacher why you and possibly many others in your class have not been informed otherwise. I hope you have seen this error and I hope I have provided you with knowledgeable information.

Regards - Gunnarsunn and good day!
Reply 76
any predictions for the time periods that will come up for 40marker British politics 1945-1990?
Reply 77
If you get two high C's that can make a B, or one Mid or low B with a high C can also produce a B grade.

I hate Edexcel, but then I remember that I could have got OCR as an examination body which would have been apocalyptic in allowing me to pursue Higher Academia!

Regards - Gunnarsunn - You'll do well you never know what may happen.

I'm just scared that if on the first paper I got a D or something and then apparently this one is going to be harder and I really don't want to have to resit next year :frown:
But thank you for your kind advice :smile:
I hope you go well also! Good luck with unit 2 and all your other exams :smile:
Original post by _Aqsxo
I'm just scared that if on the first paper I got a D or something and then apparently this one is going to be harder and I really don't want to have to resit next year :frown:
But thank you for your kind advice :smile:
I hope you go well also! Good luck with unit 2 and all your other exams :smile:

Fear gets us nowhere. Great characters and minds are determined in moments of fear. This (Exams) is an assessment to see how you have progressed, grades do not mean anything frankly. As W. Churchill once said "If you're going through hell, keep on going" - Though this experience is not remotely in comparison to 'hell' - as a student in this context it may be, therefore KEEP AT IT YOU'LL DO GREAT!

Regards - Gunnarsunn.
Reply 79
Can someone briefly summarises how I should go about answering each question in order to get an A on this paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending