The Student Room Group

What are the best A-levels to do , if I want to be a pilot?

What A-levels should I do, if I want to be a pilot in the airforce?
Do what you enjoy, that's all that really matters.
Facilitating subjects are your best bets, they can be found here: https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/facilitating-a-level-subjects-guide.html

I'd try to pick your 3 favourite of them.
I would choose Physics and Maths and if you like Maths then Further Maths aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics and maths are essentials if you ask me. Especially physics! Then just pick subjects you enjoy and feel like you can do well in!
Original post by Luke.sts

Hi Luke.sts,

The RAF careers website states the following:

2 A-levels (at grade A-C) or 3 Highers or equivalent, plus 5 GCSE/SCEs at Grade C/2 minimum or equivalent including English Language and grade B/1 in Maths or 5 SNEs at Grade 5 including English Language and Maths. Please note: the RAF does not accept A-levels in Critical Thinking or General Studies at any grade.

The advice given in this thread to take physics and maths is not especially useful. If you are good at Physics and Maths then take those. Otherwise take subjects you enjoy and in which will get good grades.
Reply 5
Original post by Schleigg
Hi Luke.sts,

2 A-levels (at grade A-C) or 3 Highers or equivalent, plus 5 GCSE/SCEs at Grade C/2 minimum or equivalent including English Language and grade B/1 in Maths or 5 SNEs at Grade 5 including English Language and Maths. Please note: the RAF does not accept A-levels in Critical Thinking or General Studies at any grade.

The advice given in this thread to take physics and maths is not especially useful. If you are good at Physics and Maths then take those. Otherwise take subjects you enjoy and in which will get good grades.

Physics and Mathematics will deepen the understanding of how the aircraft works, making it easier to manoeuvre it comfortable and confidently. I'd definitely recommend taking the two at least.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Physics and Mathematics will deepen the understanding of how the aircraft works, making it easier to manoeuvre it comfortable and confidently. I'd definitely recommend taking the two at least.

As nice as that sounds, it's a not really true. It would be the same as saying you should take geography to understand the places you'll be visiting and IT/ Computing to understand and be more confident in the aircraft systems.

Refer to what I said before and do what you want to do. Anything you need to know about flying the aircraft will be taught to you during flying training.
Reply 7
As nice as that sounds, it's a not really true. It would be the same as saying you should take geography to understand the places you'll be visiting and IT/ Computing to understand and be more confident in the aircraft systems.

Refer to what I said before and do what you want to do. Anything you need to know about flying the aircraft will be taught to you during flying training.

It's not really so in true. I currently do those subjects with my friend who wants to be a pilot. He says it seems like it will help with training.
Original post by RonnieRJ
It's not really so in true. I currently do those subjects with my friend who wants to be a pilot. He says it seems like it will help with training.

You can tell him that an actual RAF pilot (me) says good luck :wink:
Original post by schleigg
you can tell him that an actual raf pilot (me) says good luck :wink:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

dayum
Reply 10
Hi Luke.sts,

Thanks for the advice,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok btec pilot :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Luke.sts

apparently you don't even have to do alevels,

Game, set and match.
Reply 14
I would say Maths is pretty important but I don't think they will have essential subject requirements but if you want to pick subjects that will best prepare you then you should probably look at taking Maths + 2 or 3 technical subjects I.e. Physics, Further Maths, IT or Computing, Electronics, Engineering (you can take a BTEC in 'Aerospace/Aeronautical' Engineering or 'Aircraft Maintenance' I believe), DT(Systems & Control) or maybe Geography could be useful

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by rxns_00
Ok btec pilot :smile:

Don't say that mate. I can understand that you may not believe him as this is the Internet but hoping that 'Schleigg' has a high moral capacity.

You should respect the fact he is serving his country. So don't be prat.
Original post by 4158Morton
Don't say that mate. I can understand that you may not believe him as this is the Internet but hoping that 'Schleigg' has a high moral capacity.

You should respect the fact he is serving his country. So don't be prat.

Comebacks have a window of 7 years, so sadly you just missed the boat.

Greg
Reply 17
Original post by greg tony
Comebacks have a window of 7 years, so sadly you just missed the boat.

Greg

In your imaginary world it's 7 years, but in mine it's 2 minutes. So sadly YOU just missed the boat. Better luck next time pal
Reply 18
So how long did this reply take in your imaginary world?

Original post by 4158Morton
In your imaginary world it's 7 years, but in mine it's 2 minutes. So sadly YOU just missed the boat. Better luck next time pal

Quick Reply

Latest