The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel English Literature 6ET01 - Friday 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yellownectarine
Hmm, hope it's a valid theme though!! Yeah, it's really interesting comparing answers after an English exam, because people can interpret things so differently - like the unseen poem, or even some essay questions. Loads of us at my school did the 'Home' question in Section B which said 'Poems about home often try to avoid the stereotypical and commonplace...but fail' and we all defined and tackled the question differently!

Exactly the same here! (Except I did Work, not Home).

I guess I like that about English, as there is no right or wrong as such :yep:
I talked about the theme of social class - like rich and poor.
And panicking now as no one talks about that theme...
Reply 42
Original post by prepdream

What did you feel the poem was about, overall?
It's amazing how people view it so differently!

Don't panic - there is no right or wrong in english. As long as you had enough to talk about, you should be fine :yes:
Original post by Neuth
What did you feel the poem was about, overall?
It's amazing how people view it so differently!

Don't panic - there is no right or wrong in english. As long as you had enough to talk about, you should be fine :yes:

I think it is about the contrast between rich and poor as I mentioned :smile: I don't know but I read through it and found that last two sentences shows the difference view to the world between the rich and the poor. This theme is suggested by the diction of "gold" and "jewelled" etc :tongue:

Thank you for your assurance, I really hope so. I was surprised when you guys comment about the theme of lost childhood or nature, never thought about it :smile:
Reply 44
I think it is about the contrast between rich and poor as I mentioned :smile: I don't know but I read through it and found that last two sentences shows the difference view to the world between the rich and the poor. This theme is suggested by the diction of "gold" and "jewelled" etc :tongue:

Thank you for your assurance, I really hope so. I was surprised when you guys comment about the theme of lost childhood or nature, never thought about it :smile:

I think I read it in an odd way, if anything...
Death, walking through an abandoned city at night, being scared, feeling alone, the promise of freedom in the afterlife where you are materially and emotionally rich... I really don't know :redface:
Original post by Neuth
I think I read it in an odd way, if anything...
Death, walking through an abandoned city at night, being scared, feeling alone, the promise of freedom in the afterlife where you are materially and emotionally rich... I really don't know :redface:

Wow, and I can only think of one theme that I am not even sure about. Maybe I read it in an odd way as well considering the fact that English is not my native language and I can't have a dictionary in the exam-possibly not being able to grasp the full meaning haha :smile:
But actually I really like the poem, comparing to those extremely confusing we tried to analyse in past papers. The language choice one was difficult to pick examples however.
Reply 46
Wow, and I can only think of one theme that I am not even sure about. Maybe I read it in an odd way as well considering the fact that English is not my native language and I can't have a dictionary in the exam-possibly not being able to grasp the full meaning haha :smile:
But actually I really like the poem, comparing to those extremely confusing we tried to analyse in past papers. The language choice one was difficult to pick examples however.

I loved it a little too much :love:

Wow - well you've certainly done well to understand a poem which most of my English Lit student friends didn't really understand! :lol:
Some of the poems in past papers were very odd - I'm glad this was one I liked.
Yes - I wasn't sure which two examples to pick... which did you use?
Original post by Neuth
I loved it a little too much :love:

Wow - well you've certainly done well to understand a poem which most of my English Lit student friends didn't really understand! :lol:
Some of the poems in past papers were very odd - I'm glad this was one I liked.
Yes - I wasn't sure which two examples to pick... which did you use?

Yes, I feel that I have luck this time considering the fact that most of the time I have struggle trying to analyse a poem. Then I will give up and ask my partner: "What is the meaning of this in your opinion?" :colondollar:
I chose the diction of jewellery related language: "Gold", "Silver", "Jewellered butterfly", hinting at the image of the rich as it creates a sense ofsomething valuable and in a higher rank.
Then I chose image of "dark" and "cold", suggesting the coldness and sufferings of the poor. Not sure on this one and not sure if they are considered 2 different language choice examples either.
What did you write for it?
However, I am quite satisfied that I managed to do everything just right on time. The Jane Eyre was nice as well, just the anthology was tricky and quite unexpected for me.
I think I did okay, I saw the themes of the unseen as being about nature, life, death and isolation from society. Language my mind went blank on so I guessed and for rhyme I just mentioned how inconsistent is was and some couplets.

For the poetry question I did the question about poets using the land to express the world we live in, so I had to use Going Going, and then I compared it with On The Move. I found that to be my strongest point as I remember all my notes, I basically went on about minority groups, and change happening too fast that we can’t keep up.

For Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea I did the question about Desires. I went over Jane’s desire to be loved, religious desire’s e.g. Helen, St John, Desire for freedom with Wide Sargasso Sea, I can’t remember my 4th one.

Hopefully I did alright, I used a lot of key terms, and the word emphasis throughout the whole thing.
Reply 49
Yes, I feel that I have luck this time considering the fact that most of the time I have struggle trying to analyse a poem. Then I will give up and ask my partner: "What is the meaning of this in your opinion?" :colondollar:
I chose the diction of jewellery related language: "Gold", "Silver", "Jewellered butterfly", hinting at the image of the rich as it creates a sense ofsomething valuable and in a higher rank.
Then I chose image of "dark" and "cold", suggesting the coldness and sufferings of the poor. Not sure on this one and not sure if they are considered 2 different language choice examples either.
What did you write for it?
However, I am quite satisfied that I managed to do everything just right on time. The Jane Eyre was nice as well, just the anthology was tricky and quite unexpected for me.

Well you managed on your own with this one so well done :yes:

I did "leaden pall" and "mammoth orange moths" :smile:

Ah, I'm glad - I messed up my timings so was unable to finish my prose question :erm:
Reply 50
I only managed to think of one theme for the unseen poem, which was death; I used "leaden pall" and "pile of mould" I think, and also referred to the visual imagery of darkness. I just wish there could have been more time to work with - so much to say :grumble:
I talked about that too! A few of my friends did the same thing :smile: I used all the points that you mentioned as well as the idea of gold being just a metal and not a grave of mould as I interpreted this to mean that they longed for a place where wealth is insignificant and the metal gold has no value. My entire interpretation was based on the idea of the rich and poor in society. I also thought the 'silver bodies' bathing was a symbol of the rich living luxurious lives and 'crush[ing]' the 'creeping beggars' (poor) through the fact that wealth gives them power and status.

I also touched upon the 'leaden pall' as this indirectly compares the city to a coffin. I basically elaborated my point saying that the social divide has almost drained the soul of the society and the image of the far, small town was an ideal where wealth meant nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by carpenoctem
I talked about that too! A few of my friends did the same thing :smile: I used all the points that you mentioned as well as the idea of gold being just a metal and not a grave of mould as I interpreted this to mean that they longed for a place where wealth is insignificant and the metal gold has no value. My entire interpretation was based on the idea of the rich and poor in society. I also thought the 'silver bodies' bathing was a symbol of the rich living luxurious lives and 'crush[ing]' the 'creeping beggars' (poor) through the fact that wealth gives them power and status.

I also touched upon the 'leaden pall' as this indirectly compares the city to a coffin. I basically elaborated my point saying that the social divide has almost drained the soul of the society and the image of the far, small town was an ideal where wealth meant nothing.

That's such a good way to look at it :h:

It always annoys me that the unseen is only 20 marks :cry2:

Don't worry, a couple of my friends also picked that out at as a theme. Also, what I gathered from reading examiner's reports before the exam is that it doesn't necessarily matter if your interpretation is not spot on, as long as it's a sensible suggestion and you justify and articulate it sensibly :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

How many pages did you write for Jane Eyre?? I think I did too few pages...
Reply 55
Original post by chromesilver7
Posted from TSR Mobile

How many pages did you write for Jane Eyre?? I think I did too few pages...

I ended up writing (I think) about 4 pages for the Jane Eyre, but I do have fairly large handwriting.

I thought that I hadn't written enough pages as well, but at the end of the day, even 2 pages of accurate analysis is better than 8 pages of irrelevant waffle :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did 3 pages... It feels like it isn't enough...
However, I included feminism and Marxism but I forgot to include Mazlow's hierarchy.
I really hope I get a B overall...
I don't think I did enough for poetry comparison or Section A either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending