The Student Room Group

Boston bomber to be executed

Scroll to see replies

Good.
Original post by caravaggio2
No, they are people with valid opinions that happen to be different from yours.
You do know that there can be opinions other than yours and they can be right don't you?

When you think what awaits him in an American prison I would think a death sentence was the more humane option.

Right. Then I guess this bomber guy is not a murderer either, he is just someone with a valid opinion that is different from mine so he has every right to kill people. :smile:
Original post by Reluire
I'm not sure what the state law in Massachusetts is, but in some US states judges are only allowed to impose the death penalty if jurors recommend death instead of life in prison. That seems like too much power in the hands of the jury to me. Cases like this drive people's passions and emotions so that extreme options become the more appealing ones, despite most likely not being the moral or ethical choices. What Tsarnaev and his brother did was terrible, but what does the death penalty achieve? Closure? Hardly. All those hundreds of people still have to live with their trauma and rehabilitation. The families of those three people killed won't get their loved ones back. All sentencing him to death achieves is essentially 'getting our own back' - and it hardly even achieves that in reality.

I was just reading about the fact that the death penalty is not used in Massachuetts (and hasn't been since 1984). But the guy was tried in Indiana - does anybody know why?
Original post by caravaggio2
No, they are people with valid opinions that happen to be different from yours.
You do know that there can be opinions other than yours and they can be right don't you?

When you think what awaits him in an American prison I would think a death sentence was the more humane option.

I think the death sentence causes more innocent people to suffer for example his friends and family, they would have to watch him go through this and it would be traumatic for them and they are innocent as well.
Original post by izpenguin
What will be achieved by giving him the death penalty?
Absolutely nothing, I suspect.
If anything it will make him a hero and encourage others like him.

He'll be dead and wont be bombing anyone else
Original post by e aí rapaz
I was just reading about the fact that the death penalty is not used in Massachuetts (and hasn't been since 1984). But the guy was tried in Indiana - does anybody know why?

It was a federal crime so the death penalty can be used.
Original post by silverbolt
He'll be dead and wont be bombing anyone else

Because he's really going to bomb someone from prison.
Original post by Reluire
I'm not sure what the state law in Massachusetts is, but in some US states judges are only allowed to impose the death penalty if jurors recommend death instead of life in prison. That seems like too much power in the hands of the jury to me. Cases like this drive people's passions and emotions so that extreme options become the more appealing ones, despite most likely not being the moral or ethical choices. What Tsarnaev and his brother did was terrible, but what does the death penalty achieve? Closure? Hardly. All those hundreds of people still have to live with their trauma and rehabilitation. The families of those three people killed won't get their loved ones back. All sentencing him to death achieves is essentially 'getting our own back' - and it hardly even achieves that in reality.

100% agree
it doesn't seem like a possibility now and it can take years but sometimes forgivness is possible but if he is dead that cant happen.
They say sometimes going to talk to the person can help bring closure and again if he is dead that cannot happen
Original post by Sabertooth
Good.

Why's that?

Original post by e aí rapaz

I think he's been tried in a federal court in Massachusetts. I'm not sure how they're justifying moving him across to Indiana, but perhaps federal courts have that ability. Wouldn't surprise me given the speed at which Americans are happy to shift 'suspect terrorists' off to Guantanamo. I'll try and find some more info.
Reply 29

yes. i think its a suitable punishment.

Original post by h3isenberg
The death penalty is state murder.

no its not. :dry:
Original post by Reluire
Why's that?

I think he's been tried in a federal court in Massachusetts. I'm not sure how they're justifying moving him across to Indiana, but perhaps federal courts have that ability. Wouldn't surprise me given the speed at which Americans are happy to shift 'suspect terrorists' off to Guantanamo. I'll try and find some more info.

I think the death penalty is a suitable punishment.

The prison in Indiana is where the death row is for federal crimes. :smile:
Original post by Wee.Guy
yes. i think its a suitable punishment.

I disagree, you are making someone die which is murder.
an eye for an eye makes the whole word blind
Original post by Wee.Guy

How is it not murder? You're killing someone.

What does it achieve exactly?

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Does a crime become federal when it involves people from multiple states rather than just the one, i.e. Massachusetts?

When you think about it, is it a punishment
for example say he turns to God and prays for forgivness then God would forgive him, he would then be in heaven which is a state of eternal happiness
Reply 35
Original post by Wilfred Little
Because he's really going to bomb someone from prison.

How long do you plan to keep him in prison?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3isenberg
How is it not murder? You're killing someone.

Killing is not the same as murder
Original post by hollyobxox
I disagree, you are making someone die which is murder.
an eye for an eye makes the whole word blind

Most people don't put others' eyes out. You might also want to look up the definition of "murder" too.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Killing is not the same as murder

Only on the basis that it is not unlawful, in this case.
Original post by Reluire
What does it achieve exactly?

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Does a crime become federal when it involves people from multiple states rather than just the one, i.e. Massachusetts?

Tbh, I don't see him getting executed any time soon. The federal government has executed 3 people int he past 50 years. But I'm sure he'll enjoy his time on death row.

Actually it's a little weird, I believe that the reasoning wasn't just the crime of using a weapon of mass destruction but that the bombing had an effect on commerce (with the businesses and hotels nearby). I'm not a lawyer though :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending