The Student Room Group

Boston bomber to be executed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollyobxox
Its only lawful in some states so if he was in another one then he would have been sentenced to life

What's your point?
Original post by SotonianOne
I don't understand why he wasn't gunned down with an anti-air cannon.

Vile being that deserves maximum pain.

That is really inhumane and wouldn't achieve anything
That is really inhumane and wouldn't achieve anything

Doesn't matter. People who suffered shouldn't stay with the conscience that their taxes are potentially going to feed the person who killed their kids or parents.
Original post by StrangeBanana
What's your point?

I don't agree with it death because if he was anywhere else then it wouldn't be death it would life, I think we should try and have a similar systm within countries/states/
Doesn't matter. People who suffered shouldn't stay with the conscience that their taxes are potentially going to feed the person who killed their kids or parents.

it would cost them more for death penalty, they could be paying for his lawyer
it would cost them more for death penalty, they could be paying for his lawyer

That's because of inefficiencies in the system, not because it's what should be done.

A bullet costs $0.20, starvation costs $0.00, upkeep costs $25 000 for energy and wage costs to maintain a prison. Much easier than paying $75 000 per person for 40 years till they die of old age.
That's because of inefficiencies in the system, not because it's what should be done.

A bullet costs $0.20, starvation costs $0.00, upkeep costs $25 000 for energy and wage costs to maintain a prison. Much easier than paying $75 000 per person for 40 years till they die of old age.

That's not the legal way of killing someone though
lawyer fees for appeals after appeal,
it costs to apply for the lethal injection
costs more money to get it and to administrate it so overall it does cost more
Reply 67
Jahar is innocent I don't know if he will really be executed can't trust anything in the mainstream media these days.
It would be better to execute him in this instance rather than imprison him, his place within the prison system will cost tax payers extra money on a long-term basis as a life sentence would be proportional in this case as an alternative.

Additionally due to the nature of the 'American Judicial System' and its inclusion of capital punishment, to avoid giving such a sentence to a terrorist without upsetting popular opinion is inevitable.

Thus its inevitably may have acted as a variable for such an outcome to occur.

Although I support capital punishment as an integrated means of justice as long as the verdict is beyond reasonable doubt and has been properly reaffirmed, in the most extreme of cases.

Good day to all you charming folks! - Regards - Gunnarsunn.
Reply 69
Original post by Wilfred Little
What has that got to do with it?

A lot. If you plan to keep him in prison for life, is there any point?

The question then becomes whether ir not you think he could reform.

If short period, he could be a danger to society if let out
USA is such an uncivilized country :top2:
Reply 71
few reasons
1) point of punishment is reformation and killing doesn't reform him and also deterrence and it has been proven that death penalty is not a deterrence in the US
2) it will make the process a lot longer for grieving faimlies if he was sentenced to death it will take years which means they will never be given a chance to grieve and their wounds will always be fresh.
3) it actually costs more money to have him sentenced to death than to keep him in prison for like
4) may not seem like a possibility now but forgivness can happen if he is dead it cant
5)sometimes in it can help meeting him if he is dead again they cannot

1)any punishment is a deterrence. i disagree that punishment is reformation( rehabilitation?) rehabilitation comes after punishment. for them not to re-offend, and since theyre dead thats not a problem.
2,3)this isnt a moral problem but an economic one. i would like the period between found guilty and execution shortened. this will cut costs.
4)-
5) and sometimes it helps to know that hes dead. punishment isnt about making people feel better, its about justice.

Well someone I know was recently killed in a car accident and the person who hit him was send to prison which is the same punishment for someone who is stabbed the difference is the severities of the sentence and that is where the difference is made

your point shows that you agree that there are differences in the seriousness of these events, hence why they received different punishments even though in the end both are dead.

Do you think its morally okay to kill someone in self defence or defence of others?
Original post by Wee.Guy
1)any punishment is a deterrence. i disagree that punishment is reformation( rehabilitation?) rehabilitation comes after punishment. for them not to re-offend, and since theyre dead thats not a problem.
2,3)this isnt a moral problem but an economic one. i would like the period between found guilty and execution shortened. this will cut costs.
4)-
5) and sometimes it helps to know that hes dead. punishment isnt about making people feel better, its about justice.

your point shows that you agree that there are differences in the seriousness of these events, hence why they received different punishments even though in the end both are dead.

Do you think its morally okay to kill someone in self defence or defence of others?

1) with the death penalty in place the figures of crimes committed are the same as before so it obviously isn't working. The man can still achieve rehabilitation if he was kept alive.
2) Lawyers fees do not go down the man can just appeal and if anything because it is such a serious case the lawyers will be charging a lot of money
5) whats the point in justistice if people still cannot carry on, the whole point of keeping him alive is so that, it can help the people carry on (that is why the parents of a son who died wanted him alive)
If he is religious and then there is a god and he prays to god for forgivness God would be forgiving so then he is in a state of eternal happiness and not facing a punishment
Original post by Wee.Guy

Morally no I would disagree but i know manslaughter does happen. i don't see why there needs to be violence in the first place
Its only lawful in some states so if he was in another one then he would have been sentenced to life

Just so you know, this is untrue.

it has been proven that death penalty is not a deterrence in the US

By whom?
It's almost certainly what he wants. Should just let him rot in jail for the rest of his life.
Good, bolllocks to him.
1) with the death penalty in place the figures of crimes committed are the same as before so it obviously isn't working. The man can still achieve rehabilitation if he was kept alive.
2) Lawyers fees do not go down the man can just appeal and if anything because it is such a serious case the lawyers will be charging a lot of money
5) whats the point in justistice if people still cannot carry on, the whole point of keeping him alive is so that, it can help the people carry on (that is why the parents of a son who died wanted him alive)
If he is religious and then there is a god and he prays to god for forgivness God would be forgiving so then he is in a state of eternal happiness and not facing a punishment

Although I understand your points I would just like to clarify rather than to interrupt your debate.

1) - The death penalty does not deter an individual from stealing a candy bar or robbing a house - They know that they will not face the death penalty, hence they commit the crime. These 'petty crimes' are still classified as an offence therefore 'crime rates' would tend to stay the same. The American Judicial System offers Capital Punishment as a range of sentencing it is not an aim - An aim is deterrence which you are getting confused upon. Additionally, within such a system judges have to offer a reasonably proportional sentence in correlation to the crime committed. Therefore, as it was a terrorist act which caused 4 deaths, proportionally the death penalty will be offered in these circumstances.

2) - The Defendant, in this case the terrorist, may not have to pay his own legal fees. The Defendant, during trial adjournment can request a 'Duty Solicitor' therefore meaning he is free from paying court costs. Especially in this case, the Defendant is a delinquent youth who cannot afford such defence, a duty solicitor will be offered, which it was. A Public Defence attorney known in America.

5) - Your point is muddled up. But, I will interpret it and give a best possible answer. Capital punishment offers closure to those in need, many victims feel that justice is not delivered as they deal with the burden that the defendant - murderer, rapist or pedophile is still alive in prison living off their wages and income. To eradicate an individual from society is known as something called 'Retribution;. This means the populist body would support the death penalty as they feel it is within the bounds of the courts to offer such a sentence and to avoid upsetting the populists the courts often carry out such a sentence, considering that the jury is made up of the popular viewpoint.

Regards - Gunnarsunn. Capital Punishment should be integrated, the British Judicial System is frankly an utter shambles.
He's Muslim. He believes in eye for an eye, so here's his eye for an eye. :closedeyes:

Original post by izpenguin
What will be achieved by giving him the death penalty?
Absolutely nothing, I suspect.
If anything it will make him a hero and encourage others like him.

Keeping a madman off the street, perhaps?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Because he's really going to bomb someone from prison.

even less chance from a hole in the ground

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending