The Student Room Group

How much revision do you do?

Scroll to see replies

I mostly just chill but kinda do revision all day at a very slow pace so i dont feel like im revising - like this morning i felt like doing a past paper for maths so I did and then in the afternoon i casually did some french. I did a **** ton of work throughout the year like sooo much work so i already feel fully prepared

its weird because at gcse i was so structured in my revision but now i just
Reply 21
Usually about 4 hours a day. Do 4 subjects so was doing 2 of them each day for 2 hours. kind of a 2 day rotor. now I'm into exam period though i just revise for each exam individually for the day or two i have before it. spending all the 4 hours on the one exam if possible or splitting it if i have 2 exams in 2 days.
Reply 22
I try to stick to the pomodoro technique of studying for 25 minutes, then taking a 5 minute break (where I usually read a book or just relax / walk around / stretch). After 2 hours, you take a longer break.
I have always been one of those who didn't really need to study, so it took a while for me to find my rhythm, but I study (generally) between 2 and 5 hours, I suppose, depending on when the exam is and how much I have to study (as I like to study it in topics, so that it all links together).

Reviewing frequently also helps, so not just studying one topic, putting it away, and going on to the next, but reviewing a little every day or every second day.
I do about 3/4 hours, 5/6 on a good day. Very little of that is spent making notes and such, it's mostly doing past papers and doing short reviews of topics. I feel that for my subjects (maths, chem + physics) practice is paramount to doing well rather than sitting making notes for hours on end. Although I feel like I'm copping out on doing actual revision by sort of pushing back the topics that I need to look at in favour of doing papers. But my approach means I haven't felt stressed walking into an exam this year so far because I've been so "chill" about it.

If I'm trying to be really productive and reviewing topics I try and use the pomodoro technique and make sure I take plenty of breaks. I keep a list of to-dos and a document with all the vitals I need to know. I.e for organic chemistry, I'll write a classification of compound and bullets with each thing I need to know such as properties, preparation and various reactions.
I never revised back in 2011/12 or whenever.
If you're doing mediocre and you're going to pass with a middling grade just go to a bad uni for the first year, get a good recommendation and transfer to a moderately good one.
It'll do your heart and soul good.
Never revised for GCSEs, but got decent grades. Lowest was a B.

Now, I'm revising around 4hrs a day for Maths (quickly relearning certain C2 topics), 3 hours for Biology (memorisation) and around 2 hours for Chemistry.

I did around 5 hours overall for geography AS level and it turned out to be very similar to my GCSE geography exam :colonhash:
Reply 26
Original post by Peppercrunch
Never revised for GCSEs, but got decent grades. Lowest was a B.

Now, I'm revising around 4hrs a day for Maths (quickly relearning certain C2 topics), 3 hours for Biology (memorisation) and around 2 hours for Chemistry.

I did around 5 hours overall for geography AS level and it turned out to be very similar to my GCSE geography exam :colonhash:

What did you get in your GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Am15
What did you get in your GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4A*'s in Maths, Business, Chemistry and Geography.
4A's in English lit, English Language, Biology and Physics
3B's in ICT (coursework...), French and RE.

But, I did pay attention in those lessons which meant that I pretty much understood most stuff. Geography is also my favourite subject which means that I tend to remember a lot from it because it's interesting I guess?
Original post by PerplexedBird
Tbh I started what many call 'hard core revision' sort of late so yeah I did 12.5 hours of pscyhology yesterday...

Wooowww omg that's like the whole day! I don't really revise for psychology like I do with my other subjects, I just kind of read through my notes quite frequently and it sticks in my head.

Original post by oswalds
I started doing about 7 hours a day from 11am to 6pm in March, with a timetable for all subjects, but now I'm doing about 8 hours a day from 10am to 7pm, with a couple of small breaks in between, for whatever exam I am prioritizing at that time. I find it easier to revise for longer with less breaks, as I just get distracted and my revision doesn't flow as well as it would otherwise. At the moment I'm not using my revision timetable anymore, and I'm just doing what I know I need to revise, for example I'm going to spend Saturday doing Unit 2 Psychology, and Sunday doing Cold War.

I find it easier to revise for longer periods too, coz once I've started I can just get into it. Plus, if I take a break like watching Netflix or something, I'll just end up watching like 5 episodes and never go back to revising lol...

Original post by JanitaTwain
it can range from 8 hours a day to none at all. For example, today I did 30 minutes and then got distracted...

Same some days I do quite a lot, some days none...
Does anyone else keep putting off a certain thing that they know they need to revise?
For me, I can't be bothered revising for politics at all...
Reply 30
I do it in waves. I may have a solid day when I do nothing but revise then other days i'll just lay in the fetal position and cry. :giggle: I don't really count. I just have the plan of completing every past paper from all exams boards before each of my exams this year as well as having a full set of notes written out 3 times. So far so good. Hardest is computing due to length of exam-3 hours. :cry:

Today I have done nothing but I know tomorrow other than a drive i'll be working on AS computing all day. 5:30-23:30. :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Peppercrunch
4A*'s in Maths, Business, Chemistry and Geography.
4A's in English lit, English Language, Biology and Physics
3B's in ICT (coursework...), French and RE.

But, I did pay attention in those lessons which meant that I pretty much understood most stuff. Geography is also my favourite subject which means that I tend to remember a lot from it because it's interesting I guess?

Great grades! Well done :biggrin:
14 hours a day.
i literally hammered everything 2 months prior to exam got all my notes written up and learn't everything and did the past papers; right now it's light revision recapping what i already know doing the past papers i left and reading over notes. Got to get them 4 A's :wink:
Original post by katemate98
Does anyone else keep putting off a certain thing that they know they need to revise?
For me, I can't be bothered revising for politics at all...

Spanish I really don't feel like going to that folder... :o:(:mad:
How do people manage to consistently do 8 hours a day of studying?? I probably do less than that in total for each subject :s-smilie:
I only properly revised a day before my c1 and fp1 exam. I should be revising solid for this whole weekend and the entire exam season but I really should've started revision a week ago...
Original post by oswalds
I started doing about 7 hours a day from 11am to 6pm in March, with a timetable for all subjects, but now I'm doing about 8 hours a day from 10am to 7pm, with a couple of small breaks in between, for whatever exam I am prioritizing at that time. I find it easier to revise for longer with less breaks, as I just get distracted and my revision doesn't flow as well as it would otherwise. At the moment I'm not using my revision timetable anymore, and I'm just doing what I know I need to revise, for example I'm going to spend Saturday doing Unit 2 Psychology, and Sunday doing Cold War.

What's Cold War like to study? I'm doing it as final IGCSE course next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 8472
I do it in waves. I may have a solid day when I do nothing but revise then other days i'll just lay in the fetal position and cry. :giggle: I don't really count. I just have the plan of completing every past paper from all exams boards before each of my exams this year as well as having a full set of notes written out 3 times. So far so good. Hardest is computing due to length of exam-3 hours. :cry:

Today I have done nothing but I know tomorrow other than a drive i'll be working on AS computing all day. 5:30-23:30. :yep:

5:30am?? I never revise past 10pm really (or before 10am)

Original post by NotNotBatman
14 hours a day.

Seriously?

Original post by PerplexedBird
Spanish I really don't feel like going to that folder... :o:(:mad:

Same my politics folder is a mess :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by katemate98
5:30am?? I never revise past 10pm really (or before 10am)

Sleep isn't something my body grasps the concept of. :innocent: Last 4 'nights' I have gone to bed between 2-4am and woken up between 5-6:30am. :colondollar: I just say it allows for me to use as much of the 24 hours in one day as I can. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest