The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lisagurlxx
inspired by the other thread

Also what's the average in the UK?

Nothing is a bad salary unless its lower than what the job is worth. If you are unhappy with it then you should seek alternative employment.

I believe the average salary in the UK is mid-20s.
Reply 2
For the first year or two of work anything over £1k a month post-tax is okay before you want to go for promotions and new jobs at higher wages.
One that does not allow him/her to live the lifestyle that he/she wishes to live.
Reply 4
£6.40 p/h (that's below the minimum wage) :wink:
Generally the rule for young people (late teens - twenties) is your salary should be £1000xAge before tax. So if you are 21, look for a salary of £21000. Anything less and you're getting screwed because your degree clearly isn't paying off.
Original post by Keyhofi
Generally the rule for young people (late teens - twenties) is your salary should be £1000xAge before tax. So if you are 21, look for a salary of £21000. Anything less and you're getting screwed because your degree clearly isn't paying off.

Yeah this is an important distinction. £21,000 for a 21 year old graduate is good, for somebody who hasn't been to university it is excellent.
Well I can't date anyone with a salary under 50K so it looks like I'm screwed :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by bassbabe
Well I can't date anyone with a salary under 50K so it looks like I'm screwed :redface:

You what?
Unemployed is a bad salary. Many 21 year olds are on £125 pw apprenticeships and will do fine.
Reply 10
For a graduate, I think anything below £20,000 isn't very good at 21 years old.
If you are getting less than 20k after going to uni then you aren't doing it right :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by bassbabe

Technically I think it means you're not gonna get screwed.
Reply 13
Original post by Quady
Technically I think it means you're not gonna get screwed.

lmao

Reply 14
Original post by paul514
If you are getting less than 20k after going to uni then you aren't doing it right :smile:

Too generalised. My first graduate job after uni paid 15.5k.
Reply 15
Original post by Reue
Too generalised. My first graduate job after uni paid 15.5k.

Not really, I had a placement year which paid that back in 2005 :/

£15,500 is 20% below average grad earnings 6 months after graduation. I struggle to see how a job on that would be at grad level :/
Reply 16
Original post by Quady
Not really, I had a placement year which paid that back in 2005 :/

£15,500 is 20% below average grad earnings 6 months after graduation. I struggle to see how a job on that would be at grad level :/

Sorry should have included that this was back in 2008.

I took the salary hit in order to gain the experience in an area different to that of my degree. It was the foot in the door of a large company which had a reputation for looking after their employees. My salary almost doubled within a year.
Bare in mind its probably more about development... so any salary is good ( I am sure people post recession would have taken a salary job including inflation...)... Once you have experience you'll find there is a market value...
Reply 18
Original post by Lisagurlxx
inspired by the other thread

Also what's the average in the UK?

Graduates should be happy with a £17-19k starting salary. Unless you have a very desirable skill (ie. engineers) or you're one of the top graduates in the country and get recruited or onto a top scheme.

Trust me, after a year in work, people on here don't have a clue.

Top companies have 100 graduates applying for every job, and most of them are willing to take £17-18k to do it.

Company I work for (a global scientific publisher) the only people starting on £20k+ are year are people with physics and maths degrees - because they have the real desirable qualification.

And trust me, if they could get £40k a year working in banking, or in any other industry they would. They're accepting £20k a year at a publisher, as that's the best they can do with their (top) degree

So seriously, just worry about securing a job at a top company - it's not as easy as it sounds. Don't expect to be making £25-26k a year until you have at least 3 years experience at the company, at the very least
Reply 19
Original post by Kre
For a graduate, I think anything below £20,000 isn't very good at 21 years old.

And then he wakes up and realizes that even getting a grad job starting on £18k a year is pretty hard...........

Latest

Trending

Trending