The Student Room Group

Boston bomber to be executed

Scroll to see replies

For those of you arguing that capital punishment has no deterrence effect, you are wrong.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=781504

This paper, done fairly recently using the latest analytical methods comparing wide swaths of empirical evidence and data has concluded that the death penalty does have a deterrence effect.

Interestingly, the paper also notes that why most (pro-lifers) object to the death penalty is because the criminal has a face (and is thus identifiable, having his own personal sob stories etc) while the potential victims of murderers are necessarily faceless (i.e they are not known until murder has occurred), which is why people with little sense and too much empathy find it difficult to impose an effective, proven solution which actually reduces crime
(edited 8 years ago)
I was wondering as some(quite a few) want him dead or to live a completely rubbish life in prison, mentally broken by the supermax prisons in america with only 1 hr of light in a cage every 24 hours? Is there no way we can move on from systems based on retribution? I mean can't he just go to prison and stay there but find it somewhat pleasurable? Not a luxury life but not a degrading one? For example, have books, eat okay food, speak with others to explain thoughts and so on?
This guy did a really bad thing, and so do many others, but don't they deserve forgiveness? I may not say this if it were my brother killed, I know. But honestly is it just me who thinks like this or people who have similar thoughts on how to treat these killers, terrorist and whatever they are.
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
He's Muslim. He believes in eye for an eye, so here's his eye for an eye. :closedeyes:

Keeping a madman off the street, perhaps?

Wait, so prison doesn't do that?
Original post by hollyobxox
Morally no I would disagree but i know manslaughter does happen. i don't see why there needs to be violence in the first place

because the world isnt a disney cartoon. Human beings as a species are violent creatures. Its in our genetic makeup
Original post by al_94
Jahar is innocent I don't know if he will really be executed can't trust anything in the mainstream media these days.

Don't spout this **** in here man. Like seriously, go do it in the ISoc or something but no bs like jews set him up, he's innocent, muslims always blamed and so on please.
Original post by al_94
Jahar is innocent I don't know if he will really be executed can't trust anything in the mainstream media these days.

Dude, just f*** off.

Are you on his side, are you an extremist?
Reply 86
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Don't spout this **** in here man. Like seriously, go do it in the ISoc or something but no bs like jews set him up, he's innocent, muslims always blamed and so on please.

Well he is innocent if you don't wanna hear me then just block me
Reply 87
Original post by Dancatpro
Dude, just f*** off.

Are you on his side, are you an extremist?

I'm on the side of truth
I don't think murder is justice but I don't disagree with his death, I have no sympathy for people like him.
Also, lol @ people that claim the death penalty is barbaric but think that he should go to prison because he'll suffer more. Such a high level of hypocrisy, prison should used be to rehabilitate people not to only make them suffer.
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Wait, so prison doesn't do that?

No. It doesn't. People can actually get out of prison :colonhash:
No. It doesn't. People can actually get out of prison :colonhash:

He would have been in prison for the rest of his life.
Original post by EatAndRevise
He would have been in prison for the rest of his life.

How do you know? He could make an appeal, a plea bargain, etc. You'd be surprised who's been acquitted and who has been let out on parole or their sentence lessened and for "good behaviour." :colonhash:

And many times when people are sentenced to death it is repealed to a life term. This is just for the bantz :yawn:
How do you know? He could make an appeal, a plea bargain, etc. You'd be surprised who's been acquitted and who has been let out on parole or their sentence lessened and for "good behaviour." :colonhash:

And many times when people are sentenced to death it is repealed to a life term. This is just for the bantz :yawn:

You aren't being serious, are you?
Original post by hollyobxox
That's not the legal way of killing someone though
lawyer fees for appeals after appeal,
it costs to apply for the lethal injection
costs more money to get it and to administrate it so overall it does cost more

legal =/= moral

Firstly an appeal will be made completely void by the Supreme Court of Justice. Those who tend to be acquitted are minor criminals who commit assault, not 4 counts of 1st degree murder with the intent to cause extra harm and the destruction through means of treason and terrorism. He will not be let out on parole, it is not reasonably proportionate and within the bounds of judicial sentencing for such a thing to occur. I do not think 'good behavior' will let him leave, after what he just did.

He has not mitigated his action at all, little remorse and in fact he had been a terror suspect and listed by the FBI prior to the bombings, this aggravates it. Due to factors such as populist demands and correlation and proportionality of sentencing; his death sentence cannot be repealed to a life sentence, an appeal will not be allowed due to the severity and seriousness of the act which he has caused - legally speaking it is 'beyond reasonable doubt' that he has committed such an offence.
He's Muslim. He believes in eye for an eye, so here's his eye for an eye.

Because you can definitely definitely conclude that from someone who identifies as a muslim.

Besides, doesn't that lower your thinking to that of someone willing to permanently maim hundreds of people. Also, was it necessarily jihad?

You keep getting better and better to be honest.
Regarding OP, I am genuinely upset that yet again a state has been allowed to legally condemn someone to death. I won't ever justify what he has done, so why are people justifying that same kind of death? Murder.
No tears shed from me.
Original post by Guills on wheels
Regarding OP, I am genuinely upset that yet again a state has been allowed to legally condemn someone to death. I won't ever justify what he has done, so why are people justifying that same kind of death? Murder.

Easy. For 4 reasons:

1) The death penalty has a proven deterrence effect (look at my above post), so not imposing the death penalty is tantamount to killing those (potential murder victims) through omission (failure to prevent).

2) Life imprisonment, as opposed to the death penalty, is an unjustifiable wastage of resources. So not only has the murderer harmed society by killing, society is then expected to spend large amount (in the hundreds of thousands) to sustain him for the rest of his 70+ years which can be better spent on healthcare and education? Preposterous.

There is the argument that it is more expensive to put people to death as opposed to life imprisonment, but that is because of a flawed justice system in which capital proceeding are absurdly long-drawn and expensive. Using this flaw to justify another bad decision (to not execute because of higher costs) is just bad logic.

In cases such as this where his culpability is beyond any doubt, not just any reasonable doubt (which is the vast majority of capital cases; whether he did in fact commit the crime of murder or not), then no appeals should be allowed, period.

3) He has shown an utter lack of respect for the lives of others; why should we show any respect for his? One might argue that killing him does not bring back those who are dead, but neither does imprisoning those who wound others make any injuries suffered vanish; do we have no case of imprisoning individuals ever then?)

4) Not everyone deserves rehabilitation. It is a privilege, and costs the state money; there is also clear evidence that not every individual is capable of rehabilitation. For mass murderers who show no ounce of remorse, this privilege should not be extended
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending