The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
Not anymore, I dropped down from further maths because all the universities I was looking at didn't count it as an actual subject (excluding Cambridge ofc), so I just felt I was wasting my time by trying to do maths in a year xD so perhaps not doing FM has decreased my chances of getting in? :frown:
nooo, not really. I like big, bustling cities. Small, quiet towns aren't really my thing :lol:

I think I'd quite like a quiet town, away from London but at the same time, I'd quite like to stay close to home. :tongue: You could totally come down to London then and study here instead :wink:

I don't think not taking FM will decrease your chances of getting in at all, atleast not for medicine. :smile: I think you should try, because you never know do you. If your AS grades are good enough, there's nothing to lose really :smile:

Anyway, I think there's significant pros and cons to going to a university like Cambridge. A lot of people won't like the pressure, the stress etc and will choose not to go there, others might enjoy the challenge, it really depends what you prefer and want out of a university life too. :smile:
Original post by thechemistress
Really? I genuinely feel like I haven't done enough, but then again I guess that's just me worrying about everything as I usually do :lol:
I'm definitely not a stronger applicant, you've done loads of work experience! Let's just say we're both equally strong applicants :wink:

Yeah, that's one reason I'm a bit iffy about applying to Cambridge. If I botch up the interview then I'm screwed :/ I reckon you'd do really well at a Cambridge interview, you seem quite intelligent so they'd like you xD
Academic project? Do you mean something along the lines of the EPQ? That would be good, yeah. My school makes us do this research project type thing in year 12 which is similar to the EPQ but we don't actually get a qualification so it's the most useless thing ever :lol:
You could enter one of the many medical related essay competitions? I've seen quite a few around, doing one of those would look really good, I think :smile:
Have you booked your UKCAT yet? I have a friend who's already started preparing for the UKCAT (she started in November), but tbh I don't feel like you need to start until the summer holidays, from what I've heard it doesn't take to long to prepare for so hopefully we've left enough time for it :lol:

Thing is, it doesn't matter if you don't do tonnes and tonnes of work experience because if you can still demonstrate 'realistic understanding' of the medical environment + have some hands-on experience of the medical environment and be able to reflect on that, you'll be doing fine. All your volunteering work stands you out as a person who genuinely wants to help people for a living and ultimately, that's one of the main things they look for at interview so your PS will do all the talking in that sense :smile:. I've only done 2 aswell haha, don't think there's much point doing too much more as there won't be room for it on the PS. And putting us equal does a great dis-service to you but it's very kind of you haha, thanks :wink:

You should definitely apply ofc, as so many people have said on this thread, you won't get in unless you apply and clearly if you are good enough, which you seem to be, then go for it! Any interviewer would be impressed by your PS anyway. Ahaha that's again very kind of you thanks :colondollar: but anyone can look intelligent over the internet and everyone at a Cambridge interview will be smart anyway so it's just about trying to stand out from the crowd as much as possible. And nothing prepares you for a Camb interview! (Will first have to actually get one lol) But if we both do, your achievements to date will stand you out and that's why they'll like you (although other unis will like you even more than Cambridge might as they put much more emphasis on academic success), still I'm sure your academic strength is just as strong :wink:.

Yeh like an EPQ, or just any type of summer essay/research project because that'll be really interesting to do and also seriously impressive to talk about in an interview. Are you taking an EPQ on top of that research project thing? I'm not allowed to take an EPQ in year 13 so it'd have to be something different. The Robinson essay prize though I'm doing and the titles are really fun so that should be good :smile:, are you going to do that aswell? And nah, UKCAT is a while off and you can basically book 2 weeks before when you plan to sit it and it's all fine. I'll only prepare in the summer, no time/point preparing earlier tbh + you should get up to scratch within 2 weeks. BMAT though is tougher and needs reading/strong mental maths... Does your school give prep for that?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Our of 80 and edexcel.Same here,I hope it remains 53 for an A.

I do Edexcel too :biggrin: yeah i see what you mean about the mark scheme though, it is pretty bad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheKhaleesi
I do Edexcel too :biggrin: yeah i see what you mean about the mark scheme though, it is pretty bad :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like I bombed the coursework,so I feel extra pressure to do well in the exams.
Reply 6824
Hey does anyone have 3 exams next week (bio chem and maths for me). how are you planning your time??
Original post by Azula
Hey does anyone have 3 exams next week (bio chem and maths for me). how are you planning your time??

I have 3. Physics chem and maths (Tuesday Wednesday Friday) planning to mainly revise physics and chem this weekend with like 1 c2 paper a day and then focus the day before on the exam I have the next day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula

I've got physics C2 and chemistry
I have done all the papers so just planning to review them over the few days and do some warm-up questions the day before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6827
Original post by samb1234
I have 3. Physics chem and maths (Tuesday Wednesday Friday) planning to mainly revise physics and chem this weekend with like 1 c2 paper a day and then focus the day before on the exam I have the next day

Posted from TSR Mobile

c2?? I have s1 next week but im on ocr mei. Good luck, good that they're spaced out a bit right?? What exam board are you on for chem??
Reply 6828
Original post by C0balt
I've got physics C2 and chemistry
I have done all the papers so just planning to review them over the few days and do some warm-up questions the day before

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool, I am getting through s1 and it's been less than thrilling so far
Original post by Azula
c2?? I have s1 next week but im on ocr mei. Good luck, good that they're spaced out a bit right?? What exam board are you on for chem??

Edexcel. My s1 is in the week after half term (ie the same week as m1 chemistry unit 2 and physics unit 2 Tuesday-friday) that will be w fun week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula
That's cool, I am getting through s1 and it's been less than thrilling so far

My S1 is first week of June with PHY2, chem2, and FP1:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone took fp1 on thursday? for the question where it asks find complex roots for z, did u guys get roots in a+bi form? all of my 3 roots had only real parts... :frown:
Original post by twenty16app
anyone took fp1 on thursday? for the question where it asks find complex roots for z, did u guys get roots in a+bi form? all of my 3 roots had only real parts... :frown:

Yup I did for OCR, If it was the square roots of 5+12i question, I got 3+2i and -3-2i which then had to be used for the next part. Three roots? We may well have done different papers but if you can remember the question, I'll see if I can answer it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
This thread is for undergraduate applicants.

You might have more success here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2829973
Cambridge 2015 Postgraduate Entry

Or by contacting the Engineering Dept directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you!
Original post by Azula

Exactly the same, I have C2 on Wed, Biology1 on Thurs and Chemistry 1 on Friday. Good luck!
Original post by Azula

I'm quite comfortable with Maths so I'll be working through one past paper a day or so. For Biology, I'll have to go over my notes quite thoroughly and try out some past papers. Chemistry is fairly straightforward too, so I'll just be going over some notes :smile:
Original post by enaayrah
I'm quite comfortable with Maths so I'll be working through one past paper a day or so. For Biology, I'll have to go over my notes quite thoroughly and try out some past papers. Chemistry is fairly straightforward too, so I'll just be going over some notes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Too good in maths you are, reminds me of a younger John Nash,who never revised, the answers and working ourt were just so obvious to him.
I haven't revised C2 in ages,so I am doing some heavy revision this weekend.
Also doing loads of physics,biology jot so much.It's the easiest subject for me and I've already done the past paper pack 10 times!
Original post by Earth1
Exactly the same, I have C2 on Wed, Biology1 on Thurs and Chemistry 1 on Friday. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same,but add in Tues for physics for me.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Too good in maths you are, reminds me of a younger John Nash,who never revised, the answers and working ourt were just so obvious to him.
I haven't revised C2 in ages,so I am doing some heavy revision this weekend.
Also doing loads of physics,biology jot so much.It's the easiest subject for me and I've already done the past paper pack 10 times!

On that note, I should probably get out of bed :lol:
Original post by enaayrah
On that note, I should probably get out of bed :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should,I need you to help me with some maths.My C2 brain is a bit rusty :colondollar:.

Latest

Trending

Trending