The Student Room Group

Unsubscribing from community messages?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kittiara
That is a CT issue. Which you know, as a former mod. :smile:

It is not the moderators sending these messages (MHoC or otherwise). It is done by the Community Team.

Original post by Illusionary
I'm sure that he does - but this thread is a general feedback thread, not one directed towards the mod team. It was you who chose to reply to it, rather than being compelled to do so. :wink:

Entirely this.

Kittiara, you chose to make yourself spokesperson. Don't insult my intelligence.
Original post by TheBBQ
Eugh. How lovely.

As Illusionary said, they are all moderators regardless.

We really should be allowed to block moderators.

Thanks for the love
IIRC, you should be able to, but it won't take effect for any forums that they moderate. Edit: okay, having just tested, it seems that this is not now possible

Yeah - apparently as a PS adviser I'm also un-ignorable :moon:
Original post by PQ
Yeah - apparently as a PS adviser I'm also un-ignorable :moon:

So that explains it.

:wink:
Original post by Mad Vlad
You can't. And I'm gutted that I never had chance to properly push for the CT to stop propping up the zombiefied corpse that is the TSR Wendy House of Commons.

Vlad you're making an issue where there is none. A PM every six months is not spam. I would have no problem with people being able to ignore community messages, but attacking the MHoC in this way is totally over the top.
Original post by Snufkin
Vlad you're making an issue where there is none. A PM every six months is not spam. I would have no problem with people being able to ignore community messages, but attacking the MHoC in this way is totally over the top.

Spam is defined as unwanted communication. I do not want this bull**** in my inbox - ergo, it is spam. And I'll attack the wendy house as much as I like, thank you.
Spam is defined as unwanted communication. I do not want this bull**** in my inbox - ergo, it is spam. And I'll attack the wendy house as much as I like, thank you.

*has glorious mental image*

I can't say I appreciate the random CT spam either - much prefer the random mod messages I get. :fan:

So according to you, all PMs, forum and rep messages are spam unless you want to read them? Not the best or most workable definition in the world.
As a regular contributor in the place I support ending TSR-wide messages publicising the place, not because they are spam, but because my preferred party would do better come elections because we have a large member base.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
So according to you, all PMs, forum and rep messages are spam unless you want to read them? Not the best or most workable definition in the world.

For PMs, yes. Forum and rep messages... you're making a poor straw man argument. The definition of spam is very clear.

spam
noun
irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1MSIV_enGB586GB586&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=define%3A%20spam

Adverts for the wendy house are irrelevant, unsolicited and are for the purposes of advertising. They're entirely unwanted and 99% of users that don't give a **** have no way of stopping it.
Reply 30
Original post by The_Internet
Thanks for the love

You're alright but allow your posse in general :colonhash:
Original post by Snufkin

Tbf, there could be an option in the settings to "not receive emails from administrators" It's do-able in SOME vbulletin boards. I know of a few forums, that have that option, but otherwise yeah good point. I'm all for like peace and no hostility :smile:
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
As a regular contributor in the place I support ending TSR-wide messages publicising the place, not because they are spam, but because my preferred party would do better come elections because we have a large member base.

:rolleyes:

Christ.

Nobody has even come close to demonstrating why the WHoC and WUN deserve special treatment over other larger, busier subcommunities. No other social group gets this kind of focus, publicity or special access. This has always been my biggest gripe with it. For whatever reason (Well... I do know the real reason... :rolleyes:), it's been provided with this golden pedestal, despite an endemic lack of activity or interest for the past 5+ years. And why is it so unpopular? It's very... niche, for starters, but it's also very unwelcoming, cliquey by design and requires a large amount of commitment over a long period of time to get anywhere with it. It's deluded to think that this is an attraction, and similarly, that you have a "large member base". :no:
For PMs, yes. Forum and rep messages... you're making a poor straw man argument. The definition of spam is very clear.

Adverts for the wendy house are irrelevant, unsolicited and are for the purposes of advertising. They're entirely unwanted and 99% of users that don't give a **** have no way of stopping it.

No I'm not. It is a fact that one can receive unwanted and/or unsolicited information through forum and rep messages as well as PMs. I have no interest in arguing this point with you.

I do not accept that PMs asking users to vote in the MHoC are adverts. The PMs do not ask users to join the MHoC or get involved in any way other than to cast a vote. I have already said I agree that it would be nice for people to be able to block community messages, but I don't understand why you're making this a MHoC issue. If you don't like the MHoC then don't use it, simple. :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
No I'm not. It is a fact that one can receive unwanted and/or unsolicited information through forum and rep messages as well as PMs. I have no interest in arguing this point with you.

I do not accept that PMs asking users to vote in the MHoC are adverts. The PMs do not ask users to join the MHoC or get involved in any way other than to cast a vote. I have already said I agree that it would be nice for people to be able to block community messages, but I don't understand why you're making this a MHoC issue. If you don't like the MHoC then don't use it, simple. :smile:

Snufkin, you disappoint me; this isn't ****ing rocket science.

PM to raise publicity = marketing = advertising.
Snufkin, you disappoint me; this isn't ****ing rocket science.

PM to raise publicity = marketing = advertising.

I will try to bear your disappointment.
:rolleyes:

Christ.

Nobody has even come close to demonstrating why the WHoC and WUN deserve special treatment over other larger, busier subcommunities. No other social group gets this kind of focus, publicity or special access. This has always been my biggest gripe with it. For whatever reason (Well... I do know the real reason... :rolleyes:), it's been provided with this golden pedestal, despite an endemic lack of activity or interest for the past 5+ years. And why is it so unpopular? It's very... niche, for starters, but it's also very unwelcoming, cliquey by design and requires a large amount of commitment over a long period of time to get anywhere with it. It's deluded to think that this is an attraction, and similarly, that you have a "large member base". :no:

I know it is niche, I know it is all of the things you describe it as, but I, along with others, enjoy playing the game. By large user base I refer to the people in the party compared to other parties who would be voting. However, while there is an audience for this kind of thing it can be left alone in its own corner until it naturally fizzles out.
Tbf, there could be an option in the settings to "not receive emails from administrators" It's do-able in SOME vbulletin boards. I know of a few forums, that have that option, but otherwise yeah good point. I'm all for like peace and no hostility :smile:

Why not have an opt-in? For the two dozens or so people who actually pretend the MHoC is anything more than an online ego-trip or meaningless exercise in measuring each others' ignorance, then a mailing list should be offered, and this includes PMs. That should be pretty simple, no? The only other alternative is offering the same thing to each other group on TSR, which would mean bi-annual PMs from the CT asking everyone sitewide to vote for Arsenal's player of the year, among the hundreds of other groups.

That used to be in the options on TSR but was removed at some point.
Original post by TheBBQ
What? You're paid?! :lolwut:

Good lord.

I am not, no. The Community Team are. Mods are volunteers. The CT are staff.

Six months is a start, certainly, but still not really what should be possible - for all the reasons discussed earlier in the thread.:wink:

As said, that is up to the CT. Sometimes they send mass-PMs. I receive some as well that I have no interest in. Doesn't annoy me, but I can understand that it might annoy others.

Original post by Arkasia
So you basically have a vested interest in stopping any dissent surrounding the MHoC?

Not really. I know that we're the geeky corner of TSR. Well, there's the MUN of course. :tongue: As said, I just wanted to reassure the OP that they should have peace and quiet from us for a while. As to messages stopping completely, that is out of my hands. So it was the most I could do at this moment in time.

Entirely this.

Kittiara, you chose to make yourself spokesperson. Don't insult my intelligence.

Wasn't trying to. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending