The Student Room Group

Oxford Student: "If you’re not at Oxbridge, you’re wasting your time"

Once we’re in, we don’t piss about with one essay a term or compulsory lectures. We do more work in a day than you do in the entirety of your degree. And we’re only there for eight weeks at a time.

We don’t do some doss modular system either. Nothing matters except for your final exams, which are the toughest papers you’ll ever sit. That’s academic rigour, not “your first year counts for 20 per cent” crap.

And we can’t shy away from it, like in classes and seminars. Our one-on-one tutorials (or supervisions, if you’re at Cambridge) are 60 minutes of arguing with the world-leading expert on your subject. Now that’s value for your £9k.

Read the whole article here:
"Don’t kid yourself: If you’re not at Oxbridge, you’re wasting your time"
If you think it's satire, the author has also written another article called:
"New rankings say our degrees are so much better than everyone else’s"

A Nottingham Student echoes the Oxford student with his article:
If you don’t go to a Russell Group, then why are you at uni?

Thoughts?
Don't think that most Oxbridge students hold this mentality, but I was surprised at how Nottingham is trying to be elitist :confused:.

Scroll to see replies

We go through this debate at least once a week.

take a chill pill

don't be a sheep

relax

go dormir :innocent:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
We go through this debate at least once a week.

take a chill pill

don't be a sheep

relax

go dormir :innocent:

This. ^
I am so sick of the same thread rehashed. :rolleyes:
Gets me fired up.
Some of these Oxbridge students think they're so better than everyone else at other universities because their universities are so prestigious.

They need to get down from their high horses and smell the coffee, because anyone can have the same prospects as a student at Oxbridge.
Cba reading the article, but it's probably just clickbait from the Tab to get people to read it...
The Tab is a half-baked publication for students who've recently graduated from Tumblr.

Most are woeful writers, none are capable of composing an interesting article; I very much doubt any contributor has ever had an interesting or original thought in his or her head.
Original post by C_Richards99

Read the whole article here:
"Don’t kid yourself: If you’re not at Oxbridge, you’re wasting your time"
If you think it's satire, the author has also written another article called:
"New rankings say our degrees are so much better than everyone else’s"

A Nottingham Student echoes the Oxford student with his article:
If you don’t go to a Russell Group, then why are you at uni?

Thoughts?
Don't think that most Oxbridge students hold this mentality, but I was surprised at how Nottingham is trying to be elitist :confused:.

The first was the biggest load of utter trash I think I've ever read in my life. Oxford and Cambridge are NOT the only internationally renowned UK universities and I don't see how they can go around preaching this. Someone needs to talk them about the obvious ego problems the Oxbridge lecturers are instilling in them!
Rant over.

Who wants a 3 course meal everyday anyway???

Posted from TSR Mobile
All that education and he writes like a second rate Katie Hopkins.

The majority of students who go to Oxbridge are fairly down to earth.
Reply 9
LOL, cute article.

Realistically, Oxbridge is a respectable option for those who can't afford to relocate for uni at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, or Princeton, but Oxford and Cambridge should only be one's first choice in a small sliver of fields.

I mean c'mon, Stanford profs have to fill out a requisition for a cyclotron. Cambridge profs have to apply to the chancellor for a box of pencils.

A scientist colleague of mine remembers her time in the US when, if she needed some equipment, she ordered it, whatever the cost. No forms, no waiting for months for approval, just a phone call.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jan/21/jonathan-wolff-uk-universities-dont-benefit-from-large-endowments

These are two unis draped in history, and it shows in all the best ways. Black tie balls every week, three course dinners in the hall used to film Harry Potter

That's nice, honey. Unless you've been initiated into the mysteries of one of the Yale tombs or the sarcophagus of the Sphinx Society at Dartmouth, or the Fly Club at Harvard, you're just attending happy hour at your local pizza place in morning dress.

The Oxford and Cambridge colleges have, collectively, a net worth of over £7 billion.

So about £3.5 billion each? Adorable. Harvard has £22 billion ... just in its endowment.

Our Varsity Rugby is in Twickenham Stadium, not quite the same as your fight with the poly in the park.

Very sweet and innocent. Meanwhile ...

[video="youtube;4TVcKYpZrj0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TVcKYpZrj0[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Typical arrogant nonsense from a callow adolescent. Oxbridge is unique and great, but to argue that all other options are irrevocably inferior is ridiculous. There are many paths to success, nothing determines your future completely.
I've actually saw a lot of Oxbridge students say that unless it's Oxbridge, uni is crap and you're a lowlife.
It's sad, really. A lot of people even choose Imperial and LSE over Oxbridge...
lol
Original post by carmex
LOL, cute article.

Realistically, Oxbridge is a respectable option for those who can't afford to relocate for uni at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, or Princeton, but Oxford and Cambridge should only be one's first choice in a small sliver of fields.

I mean c'mon, Stanford profs have to fill out a requisition for a cyclotron. Cambridge profs have to apply to the chancellor for a box of pencils.

That's nice, honey. Unless you've been initiated into the mysteries of one of the Yale tombs or the sarcophagus of the Sphinx Society at Dartmouth, or the Fly Club at Harvard, you're just attending happy hour at your local pizza place in morning dress.

So about £3.5 billion each? Adorable. Harvard has £22 billion ... just in its endowment.

I'm not a fan of the article (which, by the way, I still suspect may be satire), but this is just clearly wrong.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking
Original post by SiminaM
I've actually saw a lot of Oxbridge students say that unless it's Oxbridge, uni is crap and you're a lowlife.
It's sad, really. A lot of people even choose Imperial and LSE over Oxbridge...

Isn't this true though?

People who go to low unis especially polys don't end up anywhere and barely even achieve anything in their life.

It is better to not go to university than to go to a poly or anything outside of the top5/6 UK:

inc Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/Warwick
I found it funny tbh.

Its so outrageous that I think (hope) he is not being serious.

I'm pretty sure he wants to go into journalism and so is trying to create a name for himself.
Yeah, generally Oxbridge gives better education. But we all need jobs. We need degrees for that, and we can't all fit into Oxbridge.

I beat out a lot of Oxbridge kids for my job. Real life's gonna hit some people in the face harder than others, I guess.
A nice bit of comedy to wake up to!

Edit: clicked on his twitter link and he says it's satirical
(edited 8 years ago)
I think he is right. The fact that all of you are so butt-hurt about it that you feel

a) you need to make a post about it
b) you need to insult him to salvage some of your pride and reassure yourself of your worth
c) are taking the time to read the supplementary articles,

proves that what he is saying is hitting a nerve because subconsciously you know it is true but are loathe to admit it.

Not going Oxford and Cambridge cuts off significant opportunities for your life, it's the truth, nothing bad about it.
Reply 19
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
I'm not a fan of the article (which, by the way, I still suspect may be satire), but this is just clearly wrong.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014-15/world-ranking

You're right. According to your link, the California Institute of Technology (32 Nobel Prizes for a school with only 1,000 undergraduates) is also better than either Ox or Bridge. My bad.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending