The Student Room Group

What do you think about the "dad bod"?

An American female student posted how women all like slightly fat men in her blog.

http://theodysseyonline.com/clemson/dad-bod/97484

There's also a growing trend of "college dad bod" as well.

What do you think TSR?

Girls, like fat guys?
Guys, like being fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's an informative video on the dad bod.

https://youtu.be/iQlIPOTbuH8

iQlIPOTbuH8
would rather date someone who also lifts, not even for aesthetics but to avoid the constant "women who work out look bulky" and other bullchit one often hears from cardiobunny/couch potato guys. so no
Reply 3
Original post by Lisagurlxx
would rather date someone who also lifts, not even for aesthetics but to avoid the constant "women who work out look bulky" and other bullchit one often hears from cardiobunny/couch potato guys. so no

Very sensible. So you care more about their basic level of intelligence when it comes to training and the body then what they actually look like body-wise?

If you could pick a set body type on top of them having this knowledge then what would you go for?
Reply 4
I like slim men. Dad bod looks like heart attack waiting to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by gabzy

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, do you prefer slim or muscular though?

And what do you think of women that do prefer the dad bod?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gabzy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slim men, or underweight men, are probably going to die sooner anywhere so don't give "health excuses".
Reply 7
Original post by TorpidPhil
Slim men, or underweight men, are probably going to die sooner anywhere so don't give "health excuses".

Hi, why do you think slim men will die sooner than obese men?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could argue that I have the "dadbod" shape. However, I take my fitness seriously, train very hard (jitsu at least twice a week) and plan to go back to lifting once I settle in my new home.

Point is that the idea of someone not being fully committed as the video has suggested scares me tbh :erm: yes I enjoy life and go to the pub and have days when I eat pizza till I die :tongue: but the idea of "occasional everything"? Just No.

Tldr, dad bod has been defined really badly
Original post by Motorbiker
Hi, why do you think slim men will die sooner than obese men?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the dadbod are all obese are they?

Nevertheless numerous epidemiological studies have found that underweight people (according to BMI) have a lower life expectancy than overweight, or even obese people.

Nevertheless numerous epidemiological studies have found that underweight people (according to BMI) have a lower life expectancy than overweight, or even obese people.

He clearly said 'slim' men, not 'underweight'.
a "dad bod" or a body with some muscle and some fat (not too much but certainly not a six pack) is probably the strongest possible body to have in nature, for any survival situation etc. You may think that people with a high metabolism, "abs", hardly any fat on them etc are the best shape a person can be, but these people will be the ones to die first in times of low food, because they cant store food on their body to be used later on. (a low metabolism is actually much better for survival). The fat will also help keep a person warm as well. So as long as its not too much and the person is obese, some muscle and some fat is actually the strongest male body to have and how men are naturally designed to be in their prime. A kind of rugby player type body is the strongest natural body for a man to have. Not a six pack.
(edited 8 years ago)

Some are obese, some are overweight.

Got a link to those studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh and to your question "guys like being fat?" Personally I dont think I am fat, but I would probably feel better to have a six pack just because I guess it's what most people think is good, if I lived in a culture where being a bit fat was good then I'd probably not want a six pack and prefer to be like that. For me to feel good within myself though I just want to feel fit, like I can run a few miles ok, hike a big mountain ok etc, and strong. If I am strong I dont mind being a little fat because overall, due to the strength, I still feel manly, like I can crush other men whether they have a six pack or not.
Original post by Tarte Tatin
He clearly said 'slim' men, not 'underweight'.

Slim nearly always implies underweight. I mean, we're comparing it to the dadbod...

Some are obese, some are overweight.Got a link to those studies?Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't find them at the moment but hopefully I will remember to come back and post links later.

Original post by icdjabtjk
oh and to your question "guys like being fat?" Personally I dont think I am fat, but I would probably feel better to have a six pack just because I guess it's what most people think is good, if I lived in a culture where being a bit fat was good then I'd probably not want a six pack and prefer to be like that. For me to feel good within myself though I just want to feel fit, like I can run a few miles ok, hike a big mountain ok etc, and strong. If I am strong I dont mind being a little fat because overall, due to the strength, I still feel manly, like I can crush other men whether they have a six pack or not.

Bear in mind that the heavier men will more often have a higher metabolism than those guys with abs. Metabolic innate differences rarely account for a difference of more than 200 calories burnt.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
How about the "mom bod" ? Oh yeah only works one way.....:colonhash:
Original post by McRite
How about the "mom bod" ? Oh yeah only works one way.....:colonhash:

do you like the "mom bod"? It's ok if you do it probably works both ways, though I think Freud was an idiot myself, a lot of people like the things he said and didnt he say that men want to marry their mothers as well as daughters their fathers.

Personally though no I dont like the "mom bod" as in the type of figure my mother, any of her friends, any kind of 40-50 year old typical mums have.. a bit overweight, big sagging breasts, a few wrinkles here and there on the face etc. Not my thing! I like youthfulness more and a more slim or athletic body for a woman.
Original post by Slowbro93
You could argue that I have the "dadbod" shape. However, I take my fitness seriously, train very hard (jitsu at least twice a week) and plan to go back to lifting once I settle in my new home.

Point is that the idea of someone not being fully committed as the video has suggested scares me tbh :erm: yes I enjoy life and go to the pub and have days when I eat pizza till I die :tongue: but the idea of "occasional everything"? Just No.

Tldr, dad bod has been defined really badly

So, do you find lots of ladies knocking down your door with your dad bod and you having to reject them all? :wink:
So, do you find lots of ladies knocking down your door with your dad bod and you having to reject them all? :wink:

If only :emo: I always get the "it's my personality that I'm attracted to" point :tongue:
Slim nearly always implies underweight. I mean, we're comparing it to the dadbod...

Can't find them at the moment but hopefully I will remember to come back and post links later.

Bear in mind that the heavier men will more often have a higher metabolism than those guys with abs. Metabolic innate differences rarely account for a difference of more than 200 calories burnt.

I would define slim as average normal weight tbh.

Although BMI is *******s, I'm not fat but I'm overweight according to BMI, closer to obese than normal. But I do lift so I ruin the trend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest