The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Wawrinka defeats Nadal in a pretty epic fashion - that is probably his 2nd best match of the year, right behind that match against Nishikori at the AO.

Then writes: "see you tomorrow, RF" on the camera :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Poor second set from Rafa after a good first one. Still fancy him for Paris though!
If Rafa wants to have a successful career in his 30s like Federer, then he must bring back the US Open 2010 serve and he must stand closer to the baseline and be more aggressive.
Original post by The_K1NG
If Rafa wants to have a successful career in his 30s like Federer, then he must bring back the US Open 2010 serve and he must stand closer to the baseline and be more aggressive.

His body simply can't hack it.

He needs to learn to adapt.
Original post by Rakas21
His body simply can't hack it.

He needs to learn to adapt.

The general consensus seems to be that he should get rid of Uncle Toni and seek fresh ideas, but it's unlikely he'll do that
Original post by Krish4791
The general consensus seems to be that he should get rid of Uncle Toni and seek fresh ideas, but it's unlikely he'll do that

I doubt it would really make much of a difference. Rafa is receptive to new ideas (US Open serve) but he's pretty stubborn in his approach to playing the game.
So it's Federer vs Djokovic in the final. Last chance to make a mark before the French Open.
Stan goes back to being a flake against Federer.
Frack.

Had a break point in the previous point but went on to get broken on his following serve, 6-4 Djokovic.
A surprisingly straight forward win for Djokovic, so far skipping Madrid seems to have been the right call but none of this will matter unless he finally produces the goods in Paris.
Yep, Djokovic too good today and he's such a heavy favourite for the French with the bookies now
Watching Federer today made me very sad. He was getting bullied around the court by Djokovic in pretty much every rally. That wouldn't have happened 4-5 years ago. He should retire and save his legacy. He is making a fool out of himself by still playing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Watching Federer today made me very sad. He was getting bullied around the court by Djokovic in pretty much every rally. That wouldn't have happened 4-5 years ago. He should retire and save his legacy. He is making a fool out of himself by still playing.

Come on put it in perspective. Djokovic is in his prime, and Federer is in his mid 30s. To even make the final of a clay Masters is impressive for him, and I don't think he committed himself badly at all. Djokovic was just too good that day.

If getting beaten by the world no.1 at the peak of his powers in the final of a Masters is foolhardy, then everyone ranked below Federer should retire already and let Djokovic roll to his first French Open unopposed.
Extremely tough and unlucky draw for Djokovic, if the seedings hold up to get his hands on his first Roland Garros trophy he'll have to go through Nadal, Murray and Federer in succession...
Shame the Nole, Rafa & Andy are all in the same half...
Original post by lizzy95
Extremely tough and unlucky draw for Djokovic, if the seedings hold up to get his hands on his first Roland Garros trophy he'll have to go through Nadal, Murray and Federer in succession...

So is it a potential Novak-Rafa quarter?
Original post by hskjlclcn
So is it a potential Novak-Rafa quarter?

Yep. Then whoever gets out of that will most likely face Murray in the semis, then Federer in the final
Finally Federer gets a somewhat easy draw this year. But it's not as easy as some people are making it out to be. He has got Monfils, Stan & Berdych in his draw, but that's still better than having Nadal in his half. Poor Djokovic, I feel for him. But in a way it's a good thing for him as he has a better chance of beating Nadal in QF than he does in SF and F as Nadal will likely be at his best by that stage. He also has to be wary of Murray as he is now one of the contenders.
Original post by Sirocco11
Come on put it in perspective. Djokovic is in his prime, and Federer is in his mid 30s. To even make the final of a clay Masters is impressive for him, and I don't think he committed himself badly at all. Djokovic was just too good that day.

If getting beaten by the world no.1 at the peak of his powers in the final of a Masters is foolhardy, then everyone ranked below Federer should retire already and let Djokovic roll to his first French Open unopposed.

It's not that he lost. Federer doesn't seeem to have his forehand these days. He either misses it or nets it. In most matches, his BH is better than his FH. That doesn't bode well for him going forward tbh.
Finally Federer gets a somewhat easy draw this year. But it's not as easy as some people are making it out to be. He has got Monfils, Stan & Berdych in his draw, but that's still better than having Nadal in his half. Poor Djokovic, I feel for him. But in a way it's a good thing for him as he has a better chance of beating Nadal in QF than he does in SF and F as Nadal will likely be at his best by that stage. He also has to be wary of Murray as he is now one of the contenders.

I agree. Djokovic's best chance of beating Rafa is in a QF as there'll be less pressure than in a final and Rafa has less of an opportunity to play himself into form, it may be a blessing in disguise for Novak but it's still a tough ask. Yes Federer's draw is comparatively kinder but as you've pointed out on their day anyone of Stan, Monfils and Berdych can take Federer out and considering what happened last year against Gulbis, Federer may not be a lock for the final but I doubt he'll trade places with Novak or Rafa anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Latest