The Student Room Group

Critical thinking 2015

Hi, i'm doing critical thinking as one of my AS levels and was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how I should revise for it. Also does anyone know how to find the 2014 papers, they've not been put on the website yet.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bob smith 23
Hi, i'm doing critical thinking as one of my AS levels and was wondering if anyone has any tips as to how I should revise for it. Also does anyone know how to find the 2014 papers, they've not been put on the website yet.

The best way to revise for critical thinking, in my opinion, is to do past papers. I know it's said a lot, but for something like critical thinking, there isn't much content in the actual course to learn, and the main challenge's are timing yourself well so you don't miss a 10 marker at the end, and writing down exactly what the examiner wants.
Take a look at some past papers and mark schemes to see the type of things the mark scheme allows and doesn't allow, but don't spend too much time doing it, as universities consider other A Levels much more important than critical thinking. Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by lukejoshjames
The best way to revise for critical thinking, in my opinion, is to do past papers. I know it's said a lot, but for something like critical thinking, there isn't much content in the actual course to learn, and the main challenge's are timing yourself well so you don't miss a 10 marker at the end, and writing down exactly what the examiner wants.
Take a look at some past papers and mark schemes to see the type of things the mark scheme allows and doesn't allow, but don't spend too much time doing it, as universities consider other A Levels much more important than critical thinking. Hope this helped :smile:

Thanks, what exam board are you doing? With OCR there's 16 marker at the end
Thanks, what exam board are you doing? With OCR there's 16 marker at the end

Yeah I'm doing OCR too, I'm really not looking forward to it, and I'm terrible with timing.
Yeah I'm doing OCR too, I'm really not looking forward to it, and I'm terrible with timing.

I generally find that it depends on the paper- sometimes I'll get an A, sometimes I'll barely scrape a D. What grades have you been getting, and how many people have picked it your year?
I generally find that it depends on the paper- sometimes I'll get an A, sometimes I'll barely scrape a D. What grades have you been getting, and how many people have picked it your year?

tbh I haven't done many past papers, but I've been getting Cs-As, so yeah, a range xD This year there are 7 doing it, and most were forced into it lol
tbh I haven't done many past papers, but I've been getting Cs-As, so yeah, a range xD This year there are 7 doing it, and most were forced into it lol

Started with 21, only 6 carried it on, starting to think the other 15 were right. Have you done last years papers?
Started with 21, only 6 carried it on, starting to think the other 15 were right. Have you done last years papers?

They probably were, and no I haven't, I've been neglecting critical thinking a lot so I haven't done many past papers.
They probably were, and no I haven't, I've been neglecting critical thinking a lot so I haven't done many past papers.

Yeah, so have I, I've not done anything for it since the mocks in March. For some reason, no one, including my teacher's been able to get the latest paper.
Does anybody know how many sources need to be included in the 16 marker, and how many credibility criteria should be applied?
Reply 10
CT is an extra in my school and I'm one of the few left who decided to carry it on (5 of us I think). We haven't really had lessons all year and I've only done one past paper, achieving grade D (39/75). Is there any way to save my grade before tomorrow? :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by jed.sol
CT is an extra in my school and I'm one of the few left who decided to carry it on (5 of us I think). We haven't really had lessons all year and I've only done one past paper, achieving grade D (39/75). Is there any way to save my grade before tomorrow? :confused:

I'm pretty much in exactly the same situation as you! I did one mock and got an A (though I don't really trust the accuracy of my teacher's marking...). I was given a booklet with definitions of all of the key terms and stuff so I'll read through that, and then I'll try and do a couple of past papers - apart from that, I have no idea how else to revise :frown: Tbh, it's not part of my university offer so I don't really care about it
Original post by jed.sol

Go through past papers and see how the mark schemes want you to answer. The questions are usually quite repetitive.
Section A

Learn the definitions e.g. reason: supports the conclusion.

Know the argument indicator words, e.g., because, if, however.

Be able to pick out the argument elements (always quote, word perfect).

Be able to think of reasons/ explanations.

Pick out underlying assumptions the author may have used.

Why a person may not be representative of the population, e.g. look at the age/ gender/ area they come from/ knowledge.

How far reasons support the conclusion

Section B

Generally, the Section B, which is about credibility, applies RAVEN (reputation, ability to see, vested interest, expertise, neutrality/bias). For example, with nearly every source you can write about reputation/vested interest: "They may have a vested interest to preserve their professionalism/ public image by making an accurate claim and not distorting the truth. This would strengthen the credibility of their claim."

If you're really stuck, just mention one of the RAVENs and say whether it strengthen/ weakens its credibility- this should get you 2/3 marks.

Whenever they say "refer to the material within the documents" or "give a developed point that refers directly to the text", always quote the documents.

Essay

For the 16 marker, arrange the sources in the documents that either agree/ disagree with the claim in a table- this is just to plan your answer-
Claim: "Privatizing the NHS will have a negative impact on society"
agree ..................................................disagree
-the builder X _________________ - Lord Harroworth X
-the shadow minister of health ___ -the prime minister X
-the doctor_

and then apply two of the RAVEN criteria and put a tick next to the sources that are credible. Then write out your answer i.e. one paragraph for the sources that agree, another for the ones that disagree, and then say which side, on balance has the strongest credibility.

Then it will ask you on the plausibility of the outcome, again do an agree paragraph, and say how likely their argument is, and do the same for the disagree side, coming to an overall judgement on the plausibility.

Then write a conclusion, weighing up which side is most credible & plausible.

"The credibility of the side that agrees is rather strong because the doctor and shadow minister of health both have the expertise and access to health documents/ ability to see and therefore make a judgement based on accurate evidence that "the majority would suffer" {a quote from the doctor}. The builder, however, lacks this knowledge, weakening this side to some extent.

The credibility of the other side, however, is weaker because...

Overall, on balance the agree side has the strongest credibility because the level of expertise heavily outweighs that of the opposing side.

The plausibility that privatizing the NHS will have a negative impact on society is considerable because it would effect the "working class aspect of society" {the shadow minister of health}, the majority, who would not be able to afford health care, and therefore cause their health and well-being to decline.

On the other hand the plausibility of the other side is marginal because...

Overall, the plausibility of the agree side outweighs the disagree side because...

To conclude, it would seem that the side arguing that privatizing the NHS will have a negative impact on society is more credible and plausible, thus making the argument more in favour of this side than the other and making the agree side stronger."

Apart from this, it's mostly on the day. Just make sure you leave enough time (at least 20 minutes) to plan and write the essay- it's the easiest way to get marks).

If something's not clear, or you have anymore questions just ask- good luck with the exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Thank you so much, you guys have really helped a lot :smile:

im planning to apply for Oxbridge, would hopefully achieving 4As in my other subjects at AS and then say a C/D in CT put me at a disadvantage? (I think id have to declare it since it would appear on the same OCR certificate as Biology)
My deputy head told me that if I did badly in the exam tomorrow they could 'bury it' meaning that they just acted like I never took it
Reply 15
I hope I can convince my school to do the same O.o
The way I'm looking at it is, if I pass and complete both Unit 1 and 2. I have another AS Level that others won't have. What is there really to lose?
Reply 17
Also true, thanks for helping calm my nerves guys
I'm just really nervous that if I mess up and get a D, that ruins my chances for a top tier university, no matter what my other subject grades are...
I'm just really nervous that if I mess up and get a D, that ruins my chances for a top tier university, no matter what my other subject grades are...

It's too late to think about that now. Try to think positively. I mean, I'm actually a little bit excited to see what the theme is going to be. Don't take it too seriously. i am taking the exam tomorrow purely to prove a point to my teacher :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest