The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lionheartat20
The person above me is quoting a salaried job, which isn't particularly helpful for a med student working occasional hours.

You would want to work as 'bank' staff. This means you choose the days you work (they contact you if there is work in the hospital - at least in our area, there usually is work). You would need some form of HCA experience first though, so if you could work part time as an HCA over the summer, that would be helpful so that you know exactly what you are doing and have experience.

You get paid about £10/hour / Saturday and £13-14/hour on a Sunday. Although that isn't in London so it's going to vary. The weekends will be more than minimum wage.

I guess if I could squeeze in about 7-10 hours of work a week, that's about £70ish, and that would be enough to supplement my maintenance loan to live comfortably.

Is 7-10 hours even realistic? So say I worked a full day on Saturday, would I be able to cope with the amount of work Id need to do at uni?
Original post by Nucleotide
I guess if I could squeeze in about 7-10 hours of work a week, that's about £70ish, and that would be enough to supplement my maintenance loan to live comfortably.

Is 7-10 hours even realistic? So say I worked a full day on Saturday, would I be able to cope with the amount of work Id need to do at uni?

A shift in Southampton would usually be 7-8 hours. I imagine it would be similar elsewhere.

Very manageable providing...

1) you don't mind not going out with friends on a Friday night / don't get a hangover :biggrin:
2) you apply and are accepted (previous experience will help here)
3) there are plenty of bank staff opportunities

You might be able to find somebody who already does this at your uni, who will know more specific details.
A shift in Southampton would usually be 7-8 hours. I imagine it would be similar elsewhere.

Very manageable providing...

1) you don't mind not going out with friends on a Friday night / don't get a hangover :biggrin:
2) you apply and are accepted (previous experience will help here)
3) there are plenty of bank staff opportunities

You might be able to find somebody who already does this at your uni, who will know more specific details.

Haha I don't think I could afford to go out with my mates anyway

I definitely will have to get a part time job, even if it's not HCA I'm sure I'll find something with a decent part time wage. Thanks for the help!

Should be doable - it might limit some extra-curriculars, but that's not that important compared with e.g. food.

Don't forget you will have long holidays, especially in the summer, for the first couple of years, so can get more paid work hours in during that time. I managed to clear my overdraft each summer for the first three years just doing secretarial temping work.

There are also other ways of making a few quid here and there - lots of science depts will pay for people to do experiments on. Stuff like fMRI brain scans can make you £25 here and there, and every little helps! If you're male then you can make really good money doing drug trials.
Original post by Helenia
Should be doable - it might limit some extra-curriculars, but that's not that important compared with e.g. food.

Don't forget you will have long holidays, especially in the summer, for the first couple of years, so can get more paid work hours in during that time. I managed to clear my overdraft each summer for the first three years just doing secretarial temping work.

There are also other ways of making a few quid here and there - lots of science depts will pay for people to do experiments on. Stuff like fMRI brain scans can make you £25 here and there, and every little helps! If you're male then you can make really good money doing drug trials.

I probably won't have time to do any extra curricular activity it seems, which is disappointing because I really wanted to be part of the rugby team or some other sport and the training sessions clash with work or revision.

I had quick glimpse of a current first years timetable and the holidays are not long at all. I seriously hope this actually worth it
I probably won't have time to do any extra curricular activity it seems, which is disappointing because I really wanted to be part of the rugby team or some other sport and the training sessions clash with work or revision.

I had quick glimpse of a current first years timetable and the holidays are not long at all. I seriously hope this actually worth it

Over two months in summer, almost a month each for Christmas and Easter? It's not that bad...

Don't get too downhearted just yet - hopefully when you get there you'll find plenty of stuff you'll enjoy!
Reply 26

You're going to have to find a shred of optimism somewhere if you're going to weather the ups and downs of a 5-6 year degree!

I think you said you'd only be getting £400 maintenance grant - that puts you far from the 'poor' end of students. This is all starting to come off as a bit too 'pressed middle classes'. Have you asked your parents how much they will be able to contribute, in light of the figures you're looking at?

I didn't see the figure you said you'd be getting in maintenance loans, but is that including any extra weeks due to the length of the medic academic year?
[QUOTE=Ronove;55857501]You're going to have to find a shred of optimism somewhere if you're going to weather the ups and downs of a 5-6 year degree!

I think you said you'd only be getting £400 maintenance grant - that puts you far from the 'poor' end of students. This is all starting to come off as a bit too 'pressed middle classes'. Have you asked your parents how much they will be able to contribute, in light of the figures you're looking at?

I didn't see the figure you said you'd be getting in maintenance loans, but is that including any extra weeks due to the length of the medic academic year?

After rent has been deducted, and taking into account what I'll have left over from my maintenance grant and loan, I'll be living off about £30 a week.

I'm not middle class aha I'm working class. My relationship with my family is not good to say the least. In all honesty I'd be lucky if they gave me anything. I think I'll most definitely need to get a part time job. If I could get in a decent shift at least once a week, I should be in a good position.
After rent has been deducted, and taking into account what I'll have left over from my maintenance grant and loan, I'll be living off about £30 a week.

I'm not middle class aha I'm working class. My relationship with my family is not good to say the least. In all honesty I'd be lucky if they gave me anything. I think I'll most definitely need to get a part time job. If I could get in a decent shift at least once a week, I should be in a good position.

Have you had a look at whether you would be eligible for any income-based bursaries offered by your medical school or the university it's within?
[QUOTE=thegodofgod;55858227]Have you had a look at whether you would be eligible for any income-based bursaries offered by your medical school or the university it's within?

Yes but I'm not eligible for things like hardship funds. I'd be happy to explain my circumstances more to you over PM but I don't want to post it publicly because it's embarrassing
Yes but I'm not eligible for things like hardship funds. I'd be happy to explain my circumstances more to you over PM but I don't want to post it publicly because it's embarrassing

Hmm, which university are you planning on going to?
Reply 31

If you're really, really not in a good relationship with your family, could you apply to be seen as 'estranged' from them financially speaking?
[QUOTE=Ronove;55860029]If you're really, really not in a good relationship with your family, could you apply to be seen as 'estranged' from them financially speaking?

I'm not too sure if my relationship classifies as "estranged" or not. It's a bit complicated. But thanks anyway I'll definitely keep this in mind!
The person above me is quoting a salaried job, which isn't particularly helpful for a med student working occasional hours.

You would want to work as 'bank' staff. This means you choose the days you work (they contact you if there is work in the hospital - at least in our area, there usually is work). You would need some form of HCA experience first though, so if you could work part time as an HCA over the summer, that would be helpful so that you know exactly what you are doing and have experience.

You get paid about £10/hour / Saturday and £13-14/hour on a Sunday. Although that isn't in London so it's going to vary. The weekends will be more than minimum wage.

Yah, my local hospital doesn't have any vacancies for salaried staff at the moment anyway. That's why I said in my post 'assuming that they'll offer you the type of contract that you want'.

They're even less interested my way in zero hours HCAs.

Latest

Trending

Trending