The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentwiz
can some one tell me the experiments of Marmot et al and Johansson et al's studies on workplace stress and what they found?

Johansson et al - workplace stress in Swedish saw mills

Aim: to investigate the effects of workload, control and high demand on levels of stress at work.

Procedure: 14 employers in a Swedish saw mill (high stress) were studied as their work was repetitive and the pace of their work was determined by a machine. They were compared with a group of maintenance workers (low stress) who had less repetitive jobs and more control over their pace of work. Both groups had their levels of illness measured and their adrenaline levels measured (taken from urine samples)/

Results: People in the high stress group had higher illness rates and higher levels of adrenaline compared to the low stress group. The high stress group also had more time off from work.

Marmot et al - workplace stress amongst civil service workers

Aim: To investigate the effects of low job control and high workload on stress and illness

Procedure: High level and low level civil service workers were asked to fill out a questionnaire asking them about their workload, job control and amount of social support at work. They were also checked for signs of heart disease and then re-assessed 5 years later.

Results: Low level workers who had a low sense of job control were more likely to have developed heart disease compared to high grade workers who had a high sense of job control. There was a negative correlation between heart disease and job control, as job control went down, heart disease went up. There was no relationship between workload and stress related illness.
Do we need to know about biofeedback as a method of stress management.
Original post by Fleming1928
Johansson et al - workplace stress in Swedish saw mills

Aim: to investigate the effects of workload, control and high demand on levels of stress at work.

Procedure: 14 employers in a Swedish saw mill (high stress) were studied as their work was repetitive and the pace of their work was determined by a machine. They were compared with a group of maintenance workers (low stress) who had less repetitive jobs and more control over their pace of work. Both groups had their levels of illness measured and their adrenaline levels measured (taken from urine samples)/

Results: People in the high stress group had higher illness rates and higher levels of adrenaline compared to the low stress group. The high stress group also had more time off from work.

Marmot et al - workplace stress amongst civil service workers

Aim: To investigate the effects of low job control and high workload on stress and illness

Procedure: High level and low level civil service workers were asked to fill out a questionnaire asking them about their workload, job control and amount of social support at work. They were also checked for signs of heart disease and then re-assessed 5 years later.

Results: Low level workers who had a low sense of job control were more likely to have developed heart disease compared to high grade workers who had a high sense of job control. There was a negative correlation between heart disease and job control, as job control went down, heart disease went up. There was no relationship between workload and stress related illness.

thank you !! :biggrin:
How would you go about evaluating explanations of independent behaviour?
do we need to know about identification as well as compliance and internalisation?
Will we get a 12 marker on the immune system because the only study we have learned is kiecoltglazerglazer
I just saw a video that said that you don't actually need to remember the names of the researchers who did the studies? It's important to know the big ones like Asch, Zimbardo, Milgram etc. but not the others?

Does anyone know if this is true? Like can I get away with saying that "a study said..." and just note the method, findings and evaluation?
Reply 1967
Original post by faith7
Outline the biological approach to psychopathology (6 marks)

The biological approach also known as the medical model to psychopathology suggests abnormality is caused by physical factors. Abnormality is caused by the malfunctioning of the brain and the systems in the body are used to explain abnormality.
In biochemistry the dopa-mine hypothesis suggests that high levels of dopa-mine are related to the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Abnormalities are sometimes a result of genetic inheritance. For example Torrey (2001) found that mothers of people who have schizophrenia had contacted a particular strain of influenza during pregnancy. This virus would enter the unborn child's brain leading to the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Neurotransmitter serotonin is a biochemical which carries signals between the brain cells. High levels of serotonin have been associated with anxiety.
The biological approach assumes abnormality can be treated like a physical condition and through focusing treatment on bodily functions.

Could someone please tell me the marks out of 6 for this question. Thank you in advance.

Not a baaaad response but I would say the influenza virus thing relates more to the "infection" explanation in the biological approach and perhaps genetics would be better explained by the Holland et al. study of the monozygotic (identical) and dizygotic (non-identical) twins? 56% of the monozygotic twins both had anorexia compared to just 5% of the dizygotic, which suggests a strong link between genetics and abnormality. You could also include a "neuroanatomy" explanation, as in people who are "abnormal" have a different brain structure. E.g. post-mortems on schizophrenics have shown that they have smaller brains overall with enlarged ventricles.

Hope this helped! 😊
Original post by evekay
I just saw a video that said that you don't actually need to remember the names of the researchers who did the studies? It's important to know the big ones like Asch, Zimbardo, Milgram etc. but not the others?

Does anyone know if this is true? Like can I get away with saying that "a study said..." and just note the method, findings and evaluation?

This is true. Most topics only require you to know the actual research (how it was carried out and its findings). The name is the least important thing lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aimsnaywux
what does everybody want to come up for the 12 marker?

On of the approaches of abnormality- preferably biological, or something to do with stress. Hope its not independent behaviour
Original post by sixthformer122
do we need to know about identification as well as compliance and internalisation?

yes
Original post by jordanherbert
How would you go about evaluating explanations of independent behaviour?

This is what i would struggle with. I would just evaluate methods of asch and milligram, historical trends in LOC and the negative implications of becoming more internal. The benefits of having people that show independence to bring about social change. Again not 100% sure about this but hope this guides you :smile:
I sound so stupid but I've finished the entirety of the PSYA2 topics but do we actually need to know Zimbardo? I mean, there aren't and link-in studies to it, whereas Milgram gets slaughtered in terms of AO2 and has so many variations and explanations that it would be much better to do a 12 / 8 mark on, whereas Zimbardo doesn't really do the same???? Apart from a basic summary of the prison study and the basic ethical criticisms at least, but isn't Milgram more important??
Original post by nicole_wilson
I sound so stupid but I've finished the entirety of the PSYA2 topics but do we actually need to know Zimbardo? I mean, there aren't and link-in studies to it, whereas Milgram gets slaughtered in terms of AO2 and has so many variations and explanations that it would be much better to do a 12 / 8 mark on, whereas Zimbardo doesn't really do the same???? Apart from a basic summary of the prison study and the basic ethical criticisms at least, but isn't Milgram more important??

Definitely use Milgram as your main study for any 8/12 mark questions, I'd just learn the findings of Zimbardo in which you can use to support your evaluation!
Reply 1974
How do you outline the behavioral approach as a 6 marker?
What time is everyone's exam on monday?
Original post by Heretohelp!
What time is everyone's exam on monday?

13:30 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many times do i have to ask for a bloody response been a week now

does this get me 2 marks

the limitation of the multi store model is that the model is oversimplified as it it complicated such as the features and the process of how memory moves to another
how many marks does this get me

someone please answer
When would you use Zimbardo????
the spec details that we need to know Stress inoculation but should i learn hardiness as a therapy of stress management as well, or is there no need?

Quick Reply

Latest